Declined [Suggestion] Servers publish player statistics per meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubjubers

Best BuildBox Guy 2011 - 2013
Reaction score
Website
www.lingscars.com
Display of statistics regarding player activity on each respective server published every meeting, for those who have played for five minutes or more.

Peak number of users this week:
New users:
Number of unique players this week:
Total number of users this week:
Example;

- Rituals of RoF
Peak number of users this week: 24
New users: 2
Number of unique players this week: 36
Total number of users this week: 85

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
Is there a plugin for this?
Probably. And even if there isn't, it's simple enough to wizard up a small script compiling the data retrieved out of logs.

If you /REALLY/ want to get excessive, have a script download the HTML from here every minute or so and compile data from that. (Though it'd probably burn the servers with traffic)

Jubjubers

Reaction score
Website
www.lingscars.com
I'm kinda iffy about having it made available to the public... It might give off the wrong vibe.

But to have this available to higher up staff. To be able to judge the conditions of the servers. Would be worth it's weight in gold.
god forbid transparency, right?

Could we focus on keeping our current playerbase at the same level, before we start thinking about expanding it and taking reasons such as "someone somewhere might see it and dislike it" into even slight account?

Last edited:

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
I'm kinda iffy about having it made available to the public... It might give off the wrong vibe.

But to have this available to higher up staff. To be able to judge the conditions of the servers. Would be worth it's weight in gold.
If so, why are IRC Statistics still a thing? ;) Could you actually tell us why you think it 'gives the wrong vibe'?

CloudBryan9

Your Local Time Traveler
Reaction score
If so, why are IRC Statistics still a thing? ;) Could you actually tell us why you think it 'gives the wrong vibe'?
I was thinking of possible new players. If they see that the servers are dead, they will want to move on. And we need to do all that is possible to make the community look as good as we can.

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
I was thinking of possible new players. If they see that the servers are dead, they will want to move on. And we need to do all that is possible to make the community look as good as we can.
Okay, fair 'nuff. So we move this idea over to when the servers are a bit more populated and such. And besides, we could just do RoF-only stats since that server is still successfull.

Jubjubers

Reaction score
Website
www.lingscars.com
Wait, what?
We've pretty much established that we're not looking for extreme growth and you're still considering it a factor.

We can't have something that benefits the community because someone who isn't in the community might see it and feel, what, disappointed?
We agreed when we changed and re-branded that we're not going to be the third vidya reich, I really don't see why you have this asinine delusion that we're going to one day be a huge community.

Even fucking so, if it's so damaging to prospective players, why do we already have it graphed and displayed for TTT?

Oh dear god, no. No.
Not feelings!
Oh no, even worse!
The feelings of someone purely hypothetical!
Are you purposely being contrarian and against this for some ulterior reason or do you really think the opinions of one hypothetical person should be taken into account when information that would benefit the community could be released?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hunter

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Wait, what?
We've pretty much established that we're not looking for extreme growth and you're still considering it a factor.

We can't have something that benefits the community because someone who isn't in the community might see it and feel, what, disappointed?
We agreed when we changed and re-branded that we're not going to be the third vidya reich, I really don't see why you have this asinine delusion that we're going to one day be a huge community.

Even fucking so, if it's so damaging to prospective players, why do we already have it graphed and displayed for TTT?
Where the hell are you getting this information from? Did you just make all of this up or are you misrepresenting the actual quote from another staff member?

Also, I think it's just easy to get information from the TTT server that you're talking about (someone has a banner of it). Though I know how to get info on how many players have joined Create, it's just not going to be automatically translated into a fancy graph.

And if you want transparency (what the heck!? This isn't the White House!) Then maybe we should post information about players who were banned on the servers and the reasons why they were banned?

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
it's just not going to be automatically translated into a fancy graph.
Actually, it is. Look at the giant amount of graph-generation tools we have on the internet.

EDIT: Could you explain how downloading a small tool from the internet, putting the logs in a file and have it dispense a graph is confusing? .-.

Jubjubers

Reaction score
Website
www.lingscars.com
Psycho
Contrary to habit, we are not trying to expand the community - quite the opposite, we going trying to cut down our immediate responsibilities.
And if you want transparency (what the heck!? This isn't the White House!) Then maybe we should post information about players who were banned on the servers and the reasons why they were banned?
That would be pretty good too! Especially when retroactively assessing bans from over multiple years that are permanent. Maybe you should make a thread with that suggestion, instead of having it as a some kind of threat?
Transparency isn't just something a government office can do! :-)

sneaky beaky edit; I think Blocktopia had this function! There was an external site that listed all of our bans using a specific plugin, with ban recipient, banning staffmember and reason!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hunter

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
That would be pretty good too! Especially when retroactively assessing bans from over multiple years that are permanent. Maybe you should make a thread with that suggestion, instead of having it as a some kind of threat?
Transparency isn't just something a government office can do! :-)
Okay tell me. How would server stats benefit the community? What exactly would the community do with such data? Would people actually help find ways to improve EscapeRestart's future or use that data to basically end it?

Jubjubers

Reaction score
Website
www.lingscars.com
Okay tell me. How would server stats benefit the community? What exactly would the community do with such data? Would people actually help find ways to improve EscapeRestart's future or use that data to basically end it?
If servers have less players, the community may want to take some kind of action, positively by playing on it more often to show their love of the concept the server has, or negatively and moving to have it removed.

If servers have more players, the staff may put on special events or such to cater to the blossoming playercount :-)

EVEN SO, it would show what kind of community we are to external players! Some players prefer a smaller, closer playerbase, it would be more convenient for them to be able to assess how often the servers are played without playing the servers for an amount of time before leaving if it isn't what they expected.
"Basically end it" is so nefarious, we're not all moustache-twiddling Machiavellians, I'm sure the community care about themselves and the servers they have.

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
Public statistics are never meant for usefullness when it comes to the regular playerbase. Traditionally, (much like IRCStats) statistics are posted online for others to look at for 15 mins every week and chuckle at something he might find interesting or funny.

I've already had enough interest over at the SCP Foundation with my own little project (like these IRCStats). While not particularily useful, if interest is shown, it can be considered a nice little thing.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Oh dear god, no. No.
Not feelings!
Oh no, even worse!
The feelings of someone purely hypothetical!
Are you purposely being contrarian and against this for some ulterior reason or do you really think the opinions of one hypothetical person should be taken into account when information that would benefit the community could be released?
EVEN SO, it would show what kind of community we are to external players! Some players prefer a smaller, closer playerbase, it would be more convenient for them to be able to assess how often the servers are played without playing the servers for an amount of time before leaving if it isn't what they expected.
Wait, did you just contradict yourself?

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.