[Suggestion] Remove everything

• Thread starter Deleted member 4601
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4601

AoD is mostly fun, except when it gets too complicated. The four original gamemodes are just nice, but the two new ones are waay too complex. They each have their own currencies and the mechanics are too hard to understand, especially for someone new to the game. Here's a list of things to remove.

1. Remove every single TNT weapon except for the normal TNT and Grenades.

No upgrades. No explosive emeralds. The only two weapons should be a short rage timed weapon and a slightly weaker mid-range instant weapon. This means that the villager shops will be removed, and while TNT can be infinite, grenades can either be infinite too, or gained automatically when you kill someone.

2. Remove every single Mob weapon and add TNTs and Grenades.

Mob is almost completely replicable on singleplayer. There is no point playing it on AoD instead, except for playing on the AoD maps, which to be honest, aren't particularly unique. TNT and Grenades are too overpowered in mob if they're infinite, so they could be given in fixed quantities based on the wave.

3. Remove armour in Mob.

Having the player manage both their weapons and their protection is just way too hard for a beginner to grasp. We could just remove that and increment a player's health (by half a heart?) whenever a mob dies within, say, 5 blocks of a player.

There are plenty of suggestions in the staff forums, but this is coming from an AoD noob who, like many others, simply can't wrap my head around the new gamemodes before getting absolutely destroyed by the regulars. The things I've suggested shouldn't be too difficult to implement and are, for the most part, aimed to make the game simpler to understand.

• Haha
  • Disagree
Reactions: Poe and Notme

Hex

Keyboard & Tech Content Creator
Community Admin
Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
Remove AoD and all the problems would vanish ;) /s

Seriously though, these ideas seem pretty great, and me also being an AoD noob can agree with these points. I'm not sure about the health increment thing, but it may work if implemented correctly.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: Poe and sessybessy

Catcocomics

Reaction score
1. Remove every single TNT weapon except for the normal TNT and Grenades.

No upgrades. No explosive emeralds. The only two weapons should be a short rage timed weapon and a slightly weaker mid-range instant weapon. This means that the villager shops will be removed, and while TNT can be infinite, grenades can either be infinite too, or gained automatically when you kill someone.
Doing this removes much of the strategy that mines and c4 usually offer (though personally, I wish they acted as they did in pTNT), which means it becomes literally as mindless and luck-of-the-draw as CTF (in fact, this one here might as well just turn tnt into another CTF).
Without other variables that average-Joes can still comprehend, but aren't so dull and one-track as a simple "everyone get same main weapon and sub weapon), the game becomes repetitive and loses interest rather rapidly.
I might also point out that with how TNT works as a weapon, new players (such as yourself) would be very hard pressed to actually score kills with, to the point that without a reliable source of any other way to kill players, you'll quickly dry up on grenades and become next to useless.

Mob is almost completely replicable on singleplayer. There is no point playing it on AoD instead, except for playing on the AoD maps, which to be honest, aren't particularly unique. TNT and Grenades are too overpowered in mob if they're infinite, so they could be given in fixed quantities based on the wave.
This goes far beyond the "simplicity for noobs" that you say you are aiming for with this. The weapons given in the Mob gamemode are the same you would likely use playing normal Minecraft, and there for, would be the easiest to use due to single-player experience alone, while trying to figure out how to making things walk into a ticking time bomb while also making sure you neither get swamped nor blow yourself to smithereens, while there are over 20 mobs in a 30-block radius of you, can be very extremely awkward and daunting.

3. Remove armour in Mob.

Having the player manage both their weapons and their protection is just way too hard for a beginner to grasp. We could just remove that and increment a player's health (by half a heart?) whenever a mob dies within, say, 5 blocks of a player.
Removing armor would also be a very horrendous idea for all players (especially new players) since, without proper protection, any amount of extra hp you get (without cheating and setting your max hp to 500 trillion or just being plain invincible) will do you no good when literally everything that can hurt you (tnt included) will drain it 5-times faster than you could hope to replenish it.
Setting the hp-buff radius of any mob killed to any number below 20 would further add insult to this already enormous injury, because once you start getting past wave 12 on most maps, you'll find yourself running and trying to plant tnt, that will likely blow up and kill things that are suddenly 50 blocks away, where they won't be able to do you anything at all.

My suggestion is:
[BCOLOR=#ff0000]{Warning! If you feel that hard pvp truth might destroy your self-esteem, then please do not open the spoiler directly below. If you feel that, no matter what happens, you'll live to see another day even after opening, then please enter at own risk.}[/BCOLOR]
go on AoD more often, see how things work, why things work that way, learn tips and tricks from people (even as they use them on you), and hope that in the next month or two, you might actually be decent enough to hold your own against any of the other would-be regular (if they would just get on the server plz, I'm lonely here).
Feel like you're too much of a noob to do that? Then maybe you could brush up your pvp skills in the upcoming LoP, or ask a friend to spar with you on create where you can get all the shiny powerful stuff you want and literally become invincible by the godly powers of the notch apple and diamond armor.
If that's not your cup of tea, them maybe watch a Minecraft Youtuber who frequently plays on some pvp server, like survival games?
If you really feel that you're too incompetent to even do that, then I can only ask; have you even played survival Minecraft on a difficulty higher than peaceful?

In closing, I would like to point out that I have been playing on AoD since its simpler and kind of nostalgic days back in 2013.
For this reason, you may very well count my gray blue hairs (that are blue because I died and became a snow spirit) and trust that maybe I know a thing or two about AoD.

Sincerely and Respectfully
-Catcocomics

P.S.
I died under 30 feet of snow on a mountain top...
I don't recommend trying to hug me either...

...It will prove to be a rather chilling experience.

P.P.S.
If this is a joke, then I guess maybe I'm kinda sorry for ruining it, but either way...

...Never mind, there is a certain irony to this situation (I wonder if you can see it), but
I'll not be pointing it out for the sake of how we're all still people, no matter the power.

Iggish

Reaction score
AFAIK the weapons on tnt are pretty self explanatory (mostly). It is easily possible to get a kill with TNT regardless of weapons and removing all the weapons would be boring. Also, there should be a tutorial coming soon on the mob gamemode and the TNT gamemode so it will give you tips and pointers on how to play.

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
I think if people don't want to remove everything, then some things should be removed. People don't seem to like Large TNT, I think even after a bit of balancing people weren't happy, and there's some other stuff people don't really seem to use in there too. We should perhaps think about keeping the things people like, and remove the things they don't. Same with the Mob shop - I don't think removing it is a good idea, rather than improving it. Make things come at different stages, perhaps randomise it a bit. Have different things in the shop to add a bit of variety - buy armour/weapon, fight until end with the same tactic each time is repetitive and boring, especially with a small map rotation. In my opinion, AoD needs to focus on making itself interesting and not repetitive - RoF has the same things going on over and over, but on the server people have the flexibility to do a lot. Create's freedom is obvious. Let's spice up AoD a bit.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
it'll be really hard on players in mob if that enderman wave hits and they don't have diamond chestplate crutch to keep them going, considering how half the maps completely lack shelter.
We should really spice up mob by giving players interesting mob combinations and assortments (like creepers on bats, spider towers, and enchant diamond zombies) to fight, and interesting weapons (rockets, tnt, spells, etc...) to fight them with.
I can for sure tell you that there comes a point when throwing more of the same vanilla mobs doesn't add any more to the challenge, but rather, the strain on people's CPU.
I'd say make it so that after each wither or two, the mob spawn rate resets, and stronger, more advanced mobs start to come out.

Also, for tnt, I'd suggest making flame bow do a small splash of fire (like maybe a 3x3x3 cube) where the arrow lands and make stun & confusion bows' AoE not do lethal damage (the arrow itself could still be a menace, however).

• Agree
Reactions: sessybessy

sessybessy

aka Jenben101
Creative Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score

(wouldn't let me quote the rest of your message so I quoted this lol)
I lag a lot on TNT and Mob due to the weapons, Mob is more or less the excessive amount of mobs but TNT has the whole "Exploding Mines" and "That Blinding Weapon" and that creates a lot of lag for my client. The game is unfair for me with the huge framerate drops and for someone who mainly plays on a laptop that is not intended for gaming, it's not entirely fun when you get five seconds of gameplay before being blown up.

On top of that, the currencies and whatever the separate weapons do is mainly confusing but also stressing when you accidently shoot the wrong weapon and use it up for the rest of that game.

I personally think they could also "hide" the trading posts in Mob a bit more because whenever I try to use my money to buy something, I end up getting slaughtered by an angry mob of zombies. Due to this, I find myself hoarding the currency for Mob in my inventory because I kinda don't want to die, I mean that is the entire incentive for Mob gameplay.

I've been playing AoD since at least 2012 (maybe 2013 not sure) and I've never really grasped the game modes, though removing absolutely everything may make the game mundane and just plain boring. Perhaps 'simplifying' some games would be the best push in the right direction for AoD?

Anyways! Thanks for these suggestions Mul!
:)

Last edited:

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Make the rounds shorter such as 5 min max Zombie mode. PvP modes shouldn't be more than 5 minutes unless you're the type of player that's invested in the round.

Separate the TNT gamemode and see how it fares as a separate server.

If all else fails, remove the AoD server from the server list because if no one plays on it then what's the point of keeping it up? Make way for other servers if people want to make a different game mode.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
If all else fails, remove the AoD server from the server list because if no one plays on it then what's the point of keeping it up? Make way for other servers if people want to make a different game mode.
I frequently want to play AoD, I just don't want to play 5 slightly different rounds of mob that feel the same each time when waiting for people to join.

• Agree
Reactions: Ltin

Comp

AoD Dev and Admin!
Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
While developing TnT, I initially only had TnT and Grenades, and I can assure you that the game play felt very flat and boring. Adding more weapons for certain made it more fun to play. What would probably work better is re-balancing some weapons (like large TnT and sticky TnT).

Removing all normal weapons from mob I think is a bad idea. While adding some TnT weapons could make the game more interesting, removing all weapons really wouldn't help. Also, once a player runs out of a weapon, even if it scales for each wave, it would be a right pain to have to just use TnT. We could potentially explore the idea of adding some TnT weapons to Mob though, but I think its best to keep the current weapons ( don't forget map creators can actually specify their own shop items).

Removing armour, although an interesting concept, I don't think would really work. I personally think its much better to allow players to choose how they spend their gold, rather than automatically adding their health. Also, if the round lasts long enough the number of hearts a player has could be quite annoying and block part of their screen.

So although AoD does need changes, I'm not really sure these help. Simplifying things a bit could help, but there are probably some other ways to do it.