[Suggestion] Prism > Coreprotect

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
On Thuesday april 22 A staff member has been complaining about Prism (The apparent current logging and rollbacking plugin) is not logging things/doing its job properly. I've heard this multiple times before so out of good cause i'll introduce you guys to CoreProtect. This is just a suggestion tough to show you guys a REAL good plugin :p
Now here's my suggestion
---CoreProtect---
Coreprotect is a logging and rollbacking plugin.
Coreprotect logs:
Block placements
Block destroyed
Kills
Chat messages
Commands
Actions performed by Mobs (Endermen picking up blocks etc.) (#Enderman)
Trees that have grown (#Tree)
TNT and Creeper explosions (#TnT and #Creeper)
Water and lava Flow (#Water and #Lava)
And if i'm not mistaken CoreProtect also backs up logs automatically.

Coreprotect is easy to use and logs everything.
You can see who placed a block and who removed one directly with the Inspector mode.
(Toggleable by /co i)
When you click a block, it'll show who placed it, Right-Clicking a block will show the block adjacent to the clicked one that has been removed.

You can also manually search.
Say, You want to look for Dirt blocks placed in a 50 block radius around you in the last 60 hours
./co l a:+block r:50 t:60hours b:dirt
./co l is the lookup command
a: Is the action parameter, Like '+Block' for placed blocks, '-block' for removed blocks etcetera
b: is the block parameter so it'll look for that specific block (Dirt in this case)
r: is the range parameter, So it'll look for results in a 50 block range in this case (Max = 100 block range, #global for a global search)
t: Is the time parameter, So it'll only look for blocks placed in the timespan you specified (In this case only the blocks placed in the last 60 hours)
u: Is the user parameter, So it'll look for actions done by only the specified user.
That's some stuff one can use to look up everything.

Let's say "Fiestaguy" griefed a house made out of stonebrick. When you check for grief the result will look like this:
00:50 Hours ago "Fiestaguy" removed 98(Stonebrick).
X: <> Y: <> Z: <>
It'll show how long ago, who did it, What did he do, What block did he remove and the coordinates.

Coreprotect can do VERY specific searches and be rolled back.
Coreprotect also has a restore function that restores rollbacks.

As said coreprotect can find stuff like tree growth and changes in the world minecraft makes. For example. When a tree has grown it will be logged under the user "#Tree". When some lava floods an area it will be logged under the user "#Lava".

Coreprotect also logs chats and commands.
For example.
/co l a:chat t:60h
will show the chat for the last 60 hours. Now you can find out who dropped the F-Bomb first easier!
Also it logs commands. So you can sortof see private messages aswell.
Since "/msg davidwighall YAHR MY FRIEND" Is considered as a full command it will be logged in the command list.
./co l a:command u:fiestaguy

Search result will look like this.
00:05 hours ago Fiestaguy: /msg davidwighall YAHR MY FRIEND

Pros:
Rollback and Restoring rollbacks
Manual and in-game search
Chat and command logging
Full auto backup system
Easy to use
Can give people like advbuilder access to check griefs themselves maybe?

Cons:
Current existing logs will most likely be wiped...
Furthermore i can think of none!

Now again, This is just a suggestion to make Staff's life easier and show you this plugin for (possible?) use in BB 2.0

Seeya
FiestaSheep

Zelz

the cooliest
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Ok, one word. Yes. Like, maybe this is only me but Prism is such an annoying lil thing. I mean, it's really neat, but I can't even rollback without crashing the server, most of the time logs don't show up and it's just a general pain in the butt. I'd love to try out something new, personally. ^^

• Agree
Reactions: EggNog

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
Coreprotect is even worse than prism, especially the database management (I won't get too technical).

Tl;dr - currently almost every block logger for MC is broken in more ways than not.
Really? I've staffed for 2 years on a server using coreprotect and we never had any problems. It worked like a charm for us.

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I think another major factor is chest logging and other entities, such as drops, which you didn't mention. This is particularly important for the SMP servers in terms of determining wheteher or not chests have been looted illegally.

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
I think another major factor is chest logging and other entities, such as drops, which you didn't mention. This is particularly important for the SMP servers in terms of determining wheteher or not chests have been looted illegally.
Yes but this is a BB suggestion, Mob kills and Chest "Raids" are not THAT important on a Creative server.
But yes. It IS a feature in CP.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
What I've experienced on Buildbox whilst using Prism is that sometimes it won't find any block history on certain areas that were clearly griefed. And I know this as I've seen some builds that looked fine one day and then griefed the next day.

It also takes quite awhile -- around 30 seconds+ for Prism to find any history when using /prism near. -- I know that that doesn't seem like a long time, but when that happens, I sometimes think that I input the parameters incorrectly.

When looking up Prism vs Coreprotect, I found this website -- http://discover-prism.com/ -- that shows Prism and other block logging programs and how they fair with each other. Although, It may be biased, but it just gives an idea of what program would be efficient for the server.

Overall, I just think it's frustrating when Prism doesn't work properly when I see griefed builds in flatland/terrain. It makes it hard for the staff to execute the needed warns/bans/rollbacks when that occurs.

IQD

why we can't have nice things
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm wondering what just reinstalling prism altogether would do on each server. Clear out all the prism files and such and start from scratch.

Yes it'd fuck up logs but if something's clogged up, it gives prism a fresh start.

Reactions: Naoh

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I'm wondering what just reinstalling prism altogether would do on each server. Clear out all the prism files and such and start from scratch.
That's planned for BB 2.0, along with all of the other plugins being reinstalled and reconfigured.

@Nillbugwtw this is one for you - what do you think of CoreProtect?

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
If it's Prism's database that becomes bloated and causes the errors/no history issue -- then maybe Prism should be cleaned/reinstalled every other month or whenever it's necessary to improve the efficiency of Prism on the server.

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
If it's Prism's database that becomes bloated and causes the errors/no history issue -- then maybe Prism should be cleaned/reinstalled every other month or whenever it's necessary to improve the efficiency of Prism on the server.
There, That's an alternative solution for if CP gets denied. That means this thread will have helped either way o/

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
I was once told it was Prism's clogged up file that is causing this issue. Also, if we replace the rollback plugin, is there a way to get our existing block history?
Well we could have both Prism AND coreprotect installed for a month or so and use prism to check the old logs and in the meanwhile have Coreprotect log all new changes, So you can slowly phase away Prism.

Naterger

Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
Well we could have both Prism AND coreprotect installed for a month or so and use prism to check the old logs and in the meanwhile have Coreprotect log all new changes, So you can slowly phase away Prism.
I don't think we really wanna get rid of prism, especially if we can get it working again, that'd save staff time from learning the ins and outs of a new program

Nillbugwtw

Zombier than thou.
Community Admin
Donor
Reaction score
That's planned for BB 2.0, along with all of the other plugins being reinstalled and reconfigured.

@Nillbugwtw this is one for you - what do you think of CoreProtect?
How many prisms could a prism Prizyms /prism i if a prism Prizyms could /prism i prisms?

Anyway, unfortunately, GmK is right - block loggers are massively fucked at the moment. Prism is running slightly better on my test build of 2.0, but that's likely because it doesn't have the massive database that live Buildbox has.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
How many prisms could a prism Prizyms /prism i if a prism Prizyms could /prism i prisms?

Anyway, unfortunately, GmK is right - block loggers are massively fucked at the moment. Prism is running slightly better on my test build of 2.0, but that's likely because it doesn't have the massive database that live Buildbox has.
Prism was pretty much running fine until 1.7. I am no expert in this, but its probably all the changes that came with 1.7 that fucked it over, I have just been hoping that it would get better by time. On DoD the plugin is semi-working at the moment, but there are both issues with rollbacks and the logs itself. Oh, and its so slow that it sometimes dont even rollback, or show the searches at all.

• Agree
Reactions: IQD

Refrigerated_Elements

Dear Apparition
Admin
Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
I loved and hated using prism. On one hand it logged almost everything, on the other hand it's very derpy, but other logging plugins are derpy as well. Overall I feel prism is the best choice.