Accepted [Suggestion] Per round quests

• Thread starter Deleted member 4601
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4601

I'm pretty certain that this has been mentioned somewhere before, and is sorta in the game (as achievements, though that is somewhat limited), but the basic idea here is to have generated quests per round that players have to accomplish, that is within the possible boundaries of what players can do, but with increasing difficulty as players play more rounds continuously.

When a round starts, the server will, on an individual basis, assign a task to every player. This can come in many different ways, but suppose it involves the collection of blocks. Every collectible block on the server can be assigned a configurable value, and when a round starts, the server picks, say, a random block (or set of blocks) and a random quantity that fulfills the difficulty level (I'll talk about this later). It then checks if the task is feasible on the current map, given the map's block palette and the lava mood. If it's not feasible, the server will then go through the block selection process again until it finds something suitable, and the player will be assigned the task.

As block mining can be tracked, the player will be tracked to check if the task is completed or not - when a block of the right kind is mined by the player and in the right map, some magic happens, and when the task is complete, the player is said to have completed the quest. The player's end-round rewards will then be increased. (For instance, 1 token + a few cookies depending on task difficulty)

If a player completes a quest in a round, their quest counter thing will be incremented. Otherwise, it will be reset to 0. This counter thing will determine the difficulty of quests on the next round.

Difficulty increases as the player completes more quests (in a row). This acts as a positive reinforcement to the general gameplay flow channel to match player skill and challenges presented to the player, which adds on to the reward of sustenance that we currently have in place.

Every 5 quests or so, the player could be awarded a prize on top of what the player got from the quest. This is to keep the player, as much as possible, within the flow channel between anxiety and boredom, when you compare game difficulty and player skill, which is best kept in a positive relationship with each other.

tl;dr: The pictures are pretty good at explaining the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
What if it was a Global Quest per round where it announces something similar such as "First Player to mine 250 stone blocks gets 100 cookies!" -- except the players with OP pickaxes may ruin the fun -- or maybe it forces a player to use a specific pickaxe "First Player to mine 250 stone blocks with a stone pickaxe wins 100 cookies!" to mine the blocks during the round?

Personal or Global Quests would be a nice addition to RoF and should be reconsidered if the suggestion was previously denied. Maybe the Quests can be handled through a different plugin such as this one ( https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/quests.3711/ ) which utilizes NPCs instead of bloating the main plugin.

D

Deleted member 4601

What if it was a Global Quest per round where it announces something similar such as "First Player to mine 250 stone blocks gets 100 cookies!" -- except the players with OP pickaxes may ruin the fun -- or maybe it forces a player to use a specific pickaxe "First Player to mine 250 stone blocks with a stone pickaxe wins 100 cookies!" to mine the blocks during the round?

Personal or Global Quests would be a nice addition to RoF and should be reconsidered if the suggestion was previously denied. Maybe the Quests can be handled through a different plugin such as this one ( https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/quests.3711/ ) which utilizes NPCs instead of bloating the main plugin.
I actually read that as "First player to mine the 250th stone block wins", which may be interesting.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Yeah I suggested this a while back here: http://escaperestart.com/forum/threads/suggestion-mini-quests-tasks.19648/

Didn't get much of a response though, so it'd be great if this could draw some light to the whole "Quest" idea as personally it is something that is needed for the average player that doesn't want to dedicate copious amounts of hours just to achieve the next rank.

• Thank You
Reactions: Deleted member 4601

Reaction score
I don't like the idea of adding a competitive quest system because we already have that with the quick typing games in chat and Kotl. Also, only one person would win these quests, and new players who are not used to these quests would have a disadvantage. Maybe instead we could have a system that benefits the first place person, but also have the other players get rewards. You could do something like "Mine 128 stone blocks for 30 cookies! First person to mine them gets an extra 10 cookies and a token!" I loved the idea Mulbery had with the quests and them getting harder each time, letting new players and old players alike start off easy then get more challenging quests until it reaches the player's skill cap and they have to start over, or go back a few quests.

Also, to add a suggestion on to what Mulbery said, I think you should be able to choose when you want to do a quest and when you want to build a home and relax or talk with friends for a round. This would help if players felt inclined to do the quests every single round so they wouldn't loose their streak, but didn't really want to do a quest that round. You would also have to pick if you wanted to do the quest in the first 1-5 minutes so that someone doesn't accidentally start a quest they can't do in the time limit.

Last off, I would like to point out how this would benefit the server. As Friendly said in his post: http://escaperestart.com/forum/threads/suggestion-mini-quests-tasks.19648/ it takes a ton of tokens and cookies to rank up in the later ranks, and now that potatoes and other crops have been nerfed, the only good way to make money now is on swallow/cheetah rounds with netherwart. I made a post about this here: http://escaperestart.com/forum/threads/increase-the-drop-rate-of-crops-suggestion.20150/#post-386306. Even if the idea I put in that post works out, again the problem is they can only make money on swallow and cheetah rounds. I think these quests would be a good addition to the server because it would add something new and unique and this might be one of the things that get new players hooked onto RoF until they understand the game completely and can decide if they want to continue playing on this server, and with the streaks you can get with the quests it might make people want to play more so they can reach higher streaks and better rewards. With the option i talked about in the paragraph above, it wouldn't force people do quests every round because if they didn't they would loose their streak, so it doesn't make people feel stressed or torn if they don't want to do quests that round.

I think this would be a cool thing to test on RoF, and if it worked out it would be a cool addition.

-Numbers

Last edited: