[Suggestion] Multiple Starting Locations On Maps

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
Currently on AoD we all spawn in one location and that usually results in being dumped on one location in a giant bunch. I was thinking of allowing mapmakers to install Multiple spawnpoints and that the server will randomise at WHAT location you'll spawn

Pros:
Players spread troughout the map more
Prevents 5 man trips to the good loot stash on the map
Fixes the century-long problem of stronghold's 2 min trip to the top
Lessens sight being blocked by 19 other players when starting
Gives AFK Players a slightly bigger chance of surviving 'till they come back
Allows more map variety
Possibly shorter trips over to a tower

Cons:
Possibly a major AoD Revamp and re-doing several maps
Might lag the server SLIGHTLY more

SIDE SUGGESTION:
Maybe OP+'s should have the ability to do a command to set a new spawnpoint temporarily for this round for example at the base of a survivor's tower.

Love

Princess ♥
Donor
Reaction score
I see Mmarz is viewing this thread at the same time as I, possibly working up an answer. We'll have similar views no doubt.

I think that the fact of the matter is, this has been attempted in the past and it just didn't work out. But this was an idea for the Humans to spawn in one area, and the Hunters to spawn in another. The idea of "Random" spawning on some maps just ruins a bit of the fun, and will increase the idea of "Spawncamping" considering, well, there's going to be multiple spawns, no one knows who will spawn where. A survivor just sees a hunter standing there, kill him, not knowing whether or not it was a recent spawn, and they get pegged with Spawnkilling.

The solution to that would be to remove the spawnkilling rule, and that's something I do not look forward to doing. The maps would also need to be layered, in my opinion, for this to happen. Take Stronghold for example. I think it'd maybe and that's a very slim maybe, work on that map considering there's multiple layers, and people tend to just hide at the top anyway. But there would still arise problems.

It's just my personal opinion that the way that we have spawning right now is fine the way it is, and changing the spawning routine would just proceed to mess AoD up further, the complete opposite of what we're trying to do now, which is advance Army of Darkness to make it an enjoyable server. Thank you for the suggestion, but I just don't see it being possible. I'm certain the issue of how broken Multiple spawns are, has been brought up in the past, but I cannot find the thread it's in. Again, though, thank you.

TL;DR: I don't think it's possible, the suggestion has been made before, and it just didn't work out.

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com
There used to be a map config facility to either;
1. Spawn players where they died (if not lava etc)
2. Spawn players at the world spawn
3. Spawn players at a random location in the world
4. Spawn players at a defined location separate from the world spawn.

I think the above was made redundant due to the 'Lobby' and spawn portal, but the code is already in mostly place to re-implement this (GetTeamTypeSpawn method), just needs a little work/testing to see if it's still all working.

w.dubiyou.w

Reaction score
I thought this was possible already if you made a map? I thought if you make a map, where it says SpawnCords you can put two or more? Can you not? Or am I wrong?

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
I see Mmarz is viewing this thread at the same time as I, possibly working up an answer. We'll have similar views no doubt.

I think that the fact of the matter is, this has been attempted in the past and it just didn't work out. But this was an idea for the Humans to spawn in one area, and the Hunters to spawn in another. The idea of "Random" spawning on some maps just ruins a bit of the fun, and will increase the idea of "Spawncamping" considering, well, there's going to be multiple spawns, no one knows who will spawn where. A survivor just sees a hunter standing there, kill him, not knowing whether or not it was a recent spawn, and they get pegged with Spawnkilling.

The solution to that would be to remove the spawnkilling rule, and that's something I do not look forward to doing. The maps would also need to be layered, in my opinion, for this to happen. Take Stronghold for example. I think it'd maybe and that's a very slim maybe, work on that map considering there's multiple layers, and people tend to just hide at the top anyway. But there would still arise problems.

It's just my personal opinion that the way that we have spawning right now is fine the way it is, and changing the spawning routine would just proceed to mess AoD up further, the complete opposite of what we're trying to do now, which is advance Army of Darkness to make it an enjoyable server. Thank you for the suggestion, but I just don't see it being possible. I'm certain the issue of how broken Multiple spawns are, has been brought up in the past, but I cannot find the thread it's in. Again, though, thank you.

TL;DR: I don't think it's possible, the suggestion has been made before, and it just didn't work out.
Let me comment on that bit by bit.

I didn't mean without any indication, I meant taking maps out and building a small bedrock floor/spawntent/littlehouse or something indicating a spawn point so they can see if they're at a spawn. I'm not saying we need to immediatly start overhauling all of AoD's maps, but only do this on the maps with real problems (Stronghold, Potentially Cobwebs Etc). It doesn't ruin the fun completely, It allows hunters to besiege the humans from MULTIPLE ANGLES and everyone gets a randomised chance of being near better loot than others instead of other players nicking all good loot.

Remove the spawnkilling rule? I agree: OVER MY DEAD WOOLY BODY. Tough that is not that solution,
"Maybe work on that map"? We both got different opinions on this i'm sure. It would definitely work to give hunters and survivors a better spread and maybe even out the loot a bit. What other problems would it cause?