[Suggestion] Mob Revamp

Iggish

Reaction score
Ok so, as y'all know Mob is the gamemode that automatically gets played when there is one person online. In this way, it is pivotal for retaining new players and starting up AoD "rounds". However, I feel that Mob is not nearly as fun or captivating as it could be. These are some changes that I think would increase mob's popularity.
1. New mobs. Regardless of the map, there are always the same mobs which you fight and this gets very dull. I think custom mobs (similar to LoP) could be the way to go. It would be really fun to fight weird and crazy mobs. They wouldn't even need to be that complicated. Even certain mobs with speed / strength boosts would help change it up a bit and provide better gameplay.
2. Shops. Many of the mob maps were added before different shop items became available. I suggest that the shop items become updated and more new and exciting items are added. Buying special swords straight from a shop would be good.
3. Wave Timing. Each wave lasts a good amount of time. However. There are only breaks after rounds 10 and 20 afaik. Sometimes shops become inaccessible because of spawn locations and quantity of mobs. The shops should be a lot more accessible. Take Temple of Doom for example. The mob spawns surround the villager shops and it becomes very hard to purchase there.
4. Map Rotation. The quality of the current mob maps is quite poor. However with the changes I have mentioned before, I think they could become a lot better. (someone kill farmland already)

Minor Suggestions / Nerfs
There are actually so many changes that can be made to mob to improve it vastly. These range from new special currencies for special shops (mobs occasionally drop diamonds which can be used in special shops) to also occasionally dropping bits of gear which the survivors can use.
Maybe also make revives into two separate stuff. Team revives and self revives. The team revives would be cheap in comparison to promote teamwork.
Vindicators spawn at level 9 but can still almost 2 hit you. I would recommend making them spawn at a higher level.
Remove obsolete and useless mobs from maps i.e. Endermites, Silverfish, Slimes, Magma Cubes.

Also, an emphasis should be put on fighting mobs and not running in higher rounds

Last edited:
Reactions: SirComputer and Poe

Comp

AoD Dev and Admin!
Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
1. New mobs. Regardless of the map, there are always the same mobs which you fight and this gets very dull. I think custom mobs (similar to LoP) could be the way to go. It would be really fun to fight weird and crazy mobs. They wouldn't even need to be that complicated. Even certain mobs with speed / strength boosts would help change it up a bit and provide better gameplay.
New mobs is something I've always planned on adding, the main problem firstly finding a plugin to add these mobs, and then integrate this into AoD so that players get gold from killing them. I'll try to have another look at this when I get time, because I definitely think its something that would help.

2. Shops. Many of the mob maps were added before different shop items became available. I suggest that the shop items become updated and more new and exciting items are added. Buying special swords straight from a shop would be good.
Map makers can already add their own custom items to shop, however most of the maps don't actually use this functionality. Going through the maps and adding some different items to their shops would probably be beneficial. As well as this, it'll probably be helpful to add some different items to the default shop. I added some potions recently, but I think adding a few more would be good.

3. Wave Timing. Each wave lasts a good amount of time. However. There are only breaks after rounds 10 and 20 afaik. Sometimes shops become inaccessible because of spawn locations and quantity of mobs. The shops should be a lot more accessible. Take Temple of Doom for example. The mob spawns surround the villager shops and it becomes very hard to purchase there.
I think the shops becoming inaccessible is mostly a map design issue, though I may add more breaks in later waves to allow players to buy items from the shop when there are a lot of mobs around.

4. Map Rotation. The quality of the current mob maps is quite poor. However with the changes I have mentioned before, I think they could become a lot better. (someone kill farmland already)
We do need more mob maps for sure, but I think some of the current mob maps can be editted to make them work a bit better. Hopefully some more mob maps will be submitted (I can't build).

Vindicators spawn at level 9 but can still almost 2 hit you. I would recommend making them spawn at a higher level.
I've nerfed vindicators a bit, but I may nerf them a bit more. They were pretty over powered.

Remove obsolete and useless mobs from maps i.e. Endermites, Silverfish, Slimes, Magma Cubes.
I may remove slimes and magma cubes from the default list of mobs which spawn, but still allow map makers to add them. I personally have no problem with endermites or silverfish though because they can track you from a long distance and also can be pretty hard to hit.

Maybe also make revives into two separate stuff. Team revives and self revives. The team revives would be cheap in comparison to promote teamwork.
I'm not entirely sure what we could do here, we'll have to discuss it with other staff.

Also, an emphasis should be put on fighting mobs and not running in higher rounds
I do agree, but I'm not entirely sure how this would work. I've added a maximum wave to all mob maps, so that may help people getting a little bored at the end of a game.