[Suggestion] Local Chat

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been mentioned or discussed before in the forums, I didn't see any threads or topics about it but of course I am terrible at finding things.

Upon two or more mapmakers collaborating with each other and communicating in the chat, I have seen two main things:
•The other players complain and tell the mapmakers to just msg each other, which is tedious to type in /msg or even /r for those of you who are at the level of laziness I occupy.
•The mapmakers themselves complain about how there is no easy way to talk to each other without everybody else hearing them.
So, what I propose is a local chat channel. I'm sure many of you have heard of it, but some of you haven't so I will explain it.
A local chat channel is a channel that allows messages said by a certain player reach the players that are within a certain distance of the speaker. Beyond that, nobody sees the message spoken. For example, say the local channel allowed a circle with a radius of 5 around the player. A player within that circle could hear it. But the messages would be nonexistent for someone standing outside that circle, like 6 blocks away. Think of the solitude chat system, except it is completely and wholly visible until you are outside the radius. If you are confused by that comparison, completely disregard it. Hopefully you get what I mean.
I think that a local chat is a necessity that this server has failed to obtain so far, either because it was hard to put in or because it simply wasn't thought of, or some other reason. Just a personal suggestion now: if we were to include this in the server, I would personally think dark green is a more #swagmoneyyolo color for the local chat.

Thank you!

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Eh, I think it's a good and bad idea to have such a chat especially for a creative server.

Pros:
- This would be great for mapmakers or just people collaborating on a project who don't want anyone to know what they're working on.
- People who aren't related to the project won't be able to interfere and say unnecessary stuff that the collaborators aren't interested in.
- There's no need to type /msg playername or @playername
- Besides using it for collaborating, these players could just use it for simply socializing.

Cons:
- Lets say that you have a problem with your project and neither of the collaborators have good ideas to work with? -- Local chat would limit the scope of creativity and new ideas if it were just the group. If local chat was off -- Another person on the server might speak up and jumpstart your stalled idea with their own random idea if they knew what you guys were up to.
- What if you're using a Worldedit/VS command thinking that it's the most efficient way of doing what you're doing? A person hears you talking to your collaborator about it -- gets curious to see what you guys are working on -- then tells you a different, more efficient way of using the command.

If all else fails, use the RP channel :p -- maybe that should just be changed to local chat if it's possible.

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
Eh, I think it's a good and bad idea to have such a chat especially for a creative server.

Pros:
- This would be great for mapmakers or just people collaborating on a project who don't want anyone to know what they're working on.
- People who aren't related to the project won't be able to interfere and say unnecessary stuff that the collaborators aren't interested in.
- There's no need to type /msg playername or @playername
- Besides using it for collaborating, these players could just use it for simply socializing.

Cons:
- Lets say that you have a problem with your project and neither of the collaborators have good ideas to work with? -- Local chat would limit the scope of creativity and new ideas if it were just the group. If local chat was off -- Another person on the server might speak up and jumpstart your stalled idea with their own random idea if they knew what you guys were up to.
- What if you're using a Worldedit/VS command thinking that it's the most efficient way of doing what you're doing? A person hears you talking to your collaborator about it -- gets curious to see what you guys are working on -- then tells you a different, more efficient way of using the command.

If all else fails, use the RP channel :p -- maybe that should just be changed to local chat if it's possible.
Well i was more thinking of being able to create channels with passwords. Like
/channel create <Name> [Password] to use. Also only like Builder+ can create channels, can create 1 channel at a time. Channels autodelete when nobody's in them. PROBLEM SOLVED

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
Well i was more thinking of being able to create channels with passwords. Like
/channel create <Name> [Password] to use. Also only like Builder+ can create channels, can create 1 channel at a time. Channels autodelete when nobody's in them. PROBLEM SOLVED
That solves non of the cons above - especially when the channel is password locked.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I don't know how to say this to be a good or bad thing for build collaborations, since the pros and cons seem to balance each other out (at least in quantity), but this would be nice for at least RP purposes.

Say, hypothetically, you were trying to tell some one, I don't know, a team member or something on some random thing only possible on buildbox about some major plan you've come up with, or a plot/event that only those around you are meant to presently know about? If nothing else, this could reduce the probability of an opponent or should-be innocent of hearing in on your conversation from 100% to something completely just, based on player location at that point in time. So yeah, if not a major break through that will keep people from stealing your idea and posting it, this will at least come in handy for those of us who simply want to have non-mathematical fun.

sessybessy

aka Jenben101
Creative Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I think it is a great idea but I agree with rawr on this one. It could be used but sometimes people make bigger maps and they'd have to move over to that person leaving their building. And apart from that it is a really good idea!

Stay awesome
-Jen-