[Suggestion] Floaty spawn, also spawn ideas

kuilin

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
From what I've seen, the most unintuitive thing about rof is how the spawn works. If you don't have any rof experience at all, the spawn really does not make sense. New players frequently flood spawn houses because they don't realize that there's nothing to escape.

Imagine you're a new player that's used to playing near-vanilla SMP. You hop into the round after navigating the confusing lobby, and you're in a box of lava. You think, oh cool, the spawn is made of lava, or that someone poured lava over the spawn. What you're very unlikely to think is that there's no air outside - there's only lava. Thus, if there is a glass spawn house for instance, the player would want to "escape" to the presumably infinitely large world outside the spawn lava, in order to go punch a tree or something. The 30s of invincibility when you die in the map doesn't help either - it reinforces the idea that swimming through the lava is a typical thing to do when spawn floods, which it isn't. I'm not exactly sure about what to do about that problem, but I think it's a nonintuitive way of looking at the greater issue - there's really nothing a player can do about a flooded spawn.

What if we had a floaty spawn? Like, the spawn is on bedrock. Lava doesn't flow over spawn, spawn floats on the lava like a raft on water. Specifically, when a timer is fired for a certain y height over the current spawn, the spawn point gets moved up to that Y and then a new bedrock platform is made. That way, as the map floods, the spawn never gets flooded, and spawns that are engineered with this property in mind can keep the game fun for people logging in at any time.