Stop Motion Films

parquette

Reaction score
Stop motion Animation films(films where dolls are filmed by taking multiple pictures oh them, but each time, the doll is moved slightly by an animator). What's your opinion on them? I like them because of the talent the animators have, and because they build actual sets for the dolls before animating.

Kloud_Strife

TNT Drama Queen
Reaction score
They're really rad, creates a nice unique visual effect, but I'm pretty sure they're really difficult to make vs. normal animation, which is why we get so few.

Good ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Coraline
Nightmare before Christmas
Wallace and Grommet
Chicken run
Edit:
James and the giant peach and fantastic mr. Fox too :x

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Stop Motion is pretty amazing and thinking about all the work that it takes to make things look perfect at the right moment is a bit insane. I did one video for a project and had fun doing it, though I won't show it.
Also, stop motion can involve other objects besides dolls. Here's a neat music video:

parquette

Reaction score
My favorites are Wallace and Gromit, Chicken Run, and the Pirates! Band of Misfits.

I kind of appreciate that is takes them forever to make these films, because they are taking their time in order to make the films, which in this case takes a year or 2. And anime takes how long? Don't even get me started :p I'm just not sure where the talent is in the animation of anime, especially how choppy it is. Not to bruise or offend you Naoh, just my opinion.

Reactions: Naoh and Duffie

SirCiph

Reaction score
I can understand that you may not like it, but please tone the vocabulary down a bit.
Er... I do like Wallace and Grommet. Calling something "baller" is a compliment, not an insult. Also, vocabulary? I'm sorry you don't like profanity, I was merely typing in my typical banter. I don't have the capacity to speak or type without cursing unless it's absolutely necessary for me not to.

Last edited:
  • Confusing
Reactions: Duffie

Jubjubers

Best BuildBox Guy 2011 - 2013
Reaction score
Website
www.lingscars.com
My favorites are Wallace and Gromit, Chicken Run, and the Pirates! Band of Misfits.

I kind of appreciate that is takes them forever to make these films, because they are taking their time in order to make the films, which in this case takes a year or 2. And anime takes how long? Don't even get me started :p I'm just not sure where the talent is in the animation of anime, especially how choppy it is. Not to bruise or offend you Naoh, just my opinion.
so you just like aardman animations? :s

i have a framed autograph from nick park if that means anything to u

Reactions: Naoh

digi

-
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
anime > stop motion animation pls

Oh and I like Tim Burton's Coraline
Sorry for being a stick in the mud, I'm a die hard Tim Burton fan and he had nothing to do with Coraline. Henry Selick directed Coraline and A Nightmare Before Christmas.

As for stop motion films, I highly respect the process and how intricate each movement is. From Pengu, Bump in the Night to James and the Giant Peach-- these are my favourite.