StarBound

Matty

Placid Prospector
Donor
Mafia Host
Discord Staff
Reaction score
About
Starbound is a brand new game undergoing active development by Chucklefish, an indie game company made up of a lovely group of dudes and dudettes. If you like what you see, please feel free to leave a comment or tell your friends. We hope this blog can be an insight into the trials and tribulations of the development process, the people behind the game, and what we hope to achieve.​

A story within a sandbox
Starbound begins with you fleeing your homeworld in a space shuttle, just as it’s destroyed by an unknown enemy. With nothing to guide it, the escape pod shoots into space without direction, becoming hopelessly lost in a sea of stars. As luck would have it, the space shuttle touches down on a habitable planet and an adventure begins that will take you hurtling across the universe. Starbound contains both quests and story driven missions, buried inside its vast sandbox universe.​

Endless Planets to visit
Planets in Starbound are entirely procedurally generated and filled to the brim with unique content. We went into the planet generation with one simple goal: no two planets should be the same. By procedurally generating even the smallest details, we’re doing just that. Not only is the terrain of the planet procedurally generated, but the weather, the gravity, the difficulty level, the plant life, the behaviour and appearance of alien creatures, and much more all contain random or procedurally generated elements.​

We want you to feel like an explorer!
Because we’re working so hard to make each planet unique, we want to give you the tools to catalogue the things you find and make sure absolutely everything you find has depth in the world. Much like old school point and click adventures, absolutely every object in the world, right down to the trees and flowers, can be examined for a description.​
See a weird alien tree? Examine it! Maybe you’ll discover something about its use! For any explorer, sharing discoveries is important. So whilst the game is fully coop (Bring your friends along! Form an expedition!) you can also record your findings in an electronic logbook. Not only that, but each and every planet has unique coordinates in the Universe that you can share online, so other players can check out exactly what you found!​

Finding a new home
Exploring is wonderful, but everyone needs a place to call their own. That’s why we’re letting you claim an entire planet!​

When you claim a planet as your new homeworld, a whole new aspect of gameplay opens up. Everything that makes a planet unique is at your command. Feel like changing the weather? Build a weather centre! Don’t like the terrain? Terraform it! Every aspect of the planet is under your control. Once you’re happy with it, start populating it with characters you’ve met in your travels and take care of them! They’ll have needs and desires and won’t hesitate to ask for your help if they require assistance.​

http://playstarbound.com/

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
I've been following this game since one ~ two years ago, when OddesyGames first introduced it, proclaiming it as the new Terraria after Terraria was said to have no more updates.

When they updated us with the roadmap in January, I just knew it would be downright better than Terraria.

I cannot wait for this game, alongside Cube World.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Notme

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Umm... how liquids will behave? Do you will be able to flood caves or something?
The water acts like it does irl. :p

Not like Terraria, and obviously not like Minecraft.

You can always look up Starbound test photos and videos... If you're fine with getting spoiled or teased. xP
Can't wait to flood dungeons or core :D

-----------------------------------Merged by me-----------------------------------------------------------
There are dev updates everyday on their websites!

Angry birds
Power puff kids
In Soviet Russia plants eats you
Medieval glitchbots
Plantet of apes
2 other races doesn't have background yet, they are:
Standard race in fantasy. They exist on third large rock from Sun.
Water dwellers
And there will be technology :D

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
Angry birds
Power puff kids
In Soviet Russia plants eats you
Medieval glitchbots
Plantet of apes
2 other races doesn't have background yet, they are:
Standard race in fantasy. They exist on third large rock from Sun.
Water dwellers
Or, you could be normal, and see what most of them actually are in the character builder.

You must be logged in to their forums to access it, though;

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?pages/charcreator/

If you cannot make an account, I'll just leave this picture here...

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Revivin' thread...

I forgot to put announcement about beta tests:
How the Beta is going to work

October 30, 2013 in Featured, News
Hello,
Yup the title includes the word beta, that’s because it’s really not very far off now.
I wanted to provide some info on exactly how we’re going to run the beta and what you can expect if you choose to take part.
The beta will come in 3 main stages.

Progenitor
Stage 1 will be move at a breakneck speed. This will be the buggiest and busiest stage of the beta. A bunch of unfinished features will be disabled whilst we finish them up. Updates will come thick and fast, sometimes as often as multiple updates a day.
If you choose to take part during stage 1 you should expect bugs, lots of balance changes, you shouldn’t get too attached to your character or universe as we may make changes that require you to start from scratch. You should expect the game to be broken at points as we make sweeping changes but you’ll get to enjoy exciting new content added constantly. The engine won’t optimized during this stage of the beta so performance could be poor on some low end machines.
You’ll get to see a bunch of ‘behind the scenes’ content at this stage and provide feedback during this crucial period.
DO take part in this stage if:
- You enjoy testing buggy and unfinished code
- You enjoy providing feedback
- You want to leave your mark on the game
- You just can’t wait any longer
DO NOT take part in this stage if:
- Bugs infuriate you
- You don’t like spoilers
- You can’t stand losing your save
- You want the full Starbound ‘experience’ the first time you play.

Automaton
Stage 2 will be largely feature complete. You’ll still find the odd bug but they’re unlikely to be game breaking and the chance of you losing your character or save is minimal. The main quest line won’t be in yet but the sandbox experience will be near complete. All sectors of the galaxy will be available including sector X (End game content). Much of the focus in this stage will be on bug fixing, optimization and balance.
- You enjoy reporting bugs/bughunting
- You have a low spec computer and want to make sure the game is optimized for it
- You want a complete sandbox experience
- You tried to wait a bit longer but failed
- You want to play through the main quest line
- You want to be a Novakid

Bio-organic
Stage 3 is largely about prepping for v1.0, this means finishing up the main quest line and implementing the post beta content. i.e. the Novakids, fossils. By the time stage 3 is complete Starbound should be ready to launch as a finished game. Worry not however, we plan to keep adding new content for at least a year after release, perhaps a lot longer.
- You want to give feedback on what will become the finished game
- You’d rather wait a litttttle bit longer and play the polished final version
- You’re still busy playing Pokémon X/Y

——————–​
So it won’t be too long now guys, I just wanted to clue you in on what we’re planning. We’re all pushing as hard as we can to start this up as soon as possible.

There are almost daily news about game: http://playstarbound.com/
So how many of you are waiting for this game?

• Informative
Reactions: JtTorso and Duffie

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score
TOMORROW IS BETA RELEASE STAGE 1

IT'S HAPPENING

I WILL THROW UP A SERVER (MAYBE, BUT THERE'S NO ADMIN TOOLS (I.E. - BANS AND KICKS) SO IF PEOPLE START SHIT THEN ILL JUST THROW THE SERVER DOWN) TOMORROW!

THE GAME IS 1.7GB AND RELEASES 12PM PST ON STEAM, YOU CAN RETRIEVE YOUR STEAM KEYS ON THE HUMBLEBUNDLE WEBSITE

#HYPE #EXCITED #SWAG #BIGDICKPROBLEMS

Chips

Reaction score
Keep in mind, players of Starbound. This is a Beta, so expect some bugs and character wipes!

One such character wipe is coming in the next few days, along with some nerfs and changes to the battle system.
Character wipe, meaning world and character? Basically everything?

Pikmon2

Reaction score
I mean, it looks better than terraria, but it seems to be pretty much the same thing... I'd wait awhile before buying it, so it's actually worth it (if you already have terraria). But it lacks creativity from what I've seen, with nearly the same animations for characters that there was in terraria, the same building, fighting, but just added some better graphics and a couple new features.

I mean, they should really have a "Trade in terraria" button next to "Add to Cart".

Chips

Reaction score
I mean, it looks better than terraria, but it seems to be pretty much the same thing... I'd wait awhile before buying it, so it's actually worth it (if you already have terraria). But it lacks creativity from what I've seen, with nearly the same animations for characters that there was in terraria, the same building, fighting, but just added some better graphics and a couple new features.

I mean, they should really have a "Trade in terraria" button next to "Add to Cart".
I'd just like to say this.
No game copies from another.
Every single game out there is a whole, different new game. Every game is bound to have similar traits, more or less. Plus, one of the creators of Terraria helped make this game. It's a superb game. Your comment comes out offensive to people who like it, whether or not you're trying to be that way or trying to be informational/stating your opinion.