Split1

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
Name of map : Split1 (change this to what you see fit)
Creator(s) : Dessern5
Dimensions : 64 x 64 x 64
RoundTime : 14 minutes.
Diggable depth of the map : 0
Physics : None
Which server did you build your map on? : Dessern5's Map Factory
Number of secrets : None as this is a runner map
.lvl file : http://www.mediafire.com/?gs8xnzdf1otc7kc
Description of map. : As the amount of people that have been playing Zombie Survival has been decreasing I took it upon myself to divide up the original map "Split" this section featured is the spleefing area.
Screenshots of map :

Reactions: Solis22

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
Other Sections of Split:
Original: http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads/d-map-submission-split.7287/
Split 2: http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads/split2.11130/
Split 3: http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads/split3.11129/

Instead of really just noting or adding some form of discussion involving each specific section of the "Split" map, I'm going to note my thoughts on all of them currently in a single post. As Split1 is the first chronologically of the threads/names, I am posting it here.

Okay, first off: I think it may not be the greatest of ideas to merely "Split Up" a previous map created in the past. In my eyes, a map is essentially made to be played as a complete whole. In the case of the original map "Split", the map was essentially made for different people, possibly depending on how their play-style is or using tactical thinking on where they believe the Zombie will or will not be before hand, to be in different areas at once. Because of that, not as much work is probably needed or the areas may not be as greatly crafted as the variety of areas is widely spread out in different sections, thus defining the map "Split," instead of just having a single, really solid map mechanic whether it be meant merely for hiding, running, physics, or spleef.
Now, seeing as the original map really was not centered around a specific point of interest or mechanic, each section by themselves feels weaker than it ought to be without it being paired up with the other sections of its kind. and thus, making these split maps not as great as they could be.

I remember being an Operator at the time of the original map being tested upon with that of the like of Freebuild, Deathstar, Cove, Conclave, etc, etc. We, at the time of the rotation, were giving specific responses or opinions regarding each map that came up, determining how well each map actually played out, human to zombie ratio, etc etc.
This map had been chosen quite a few times from what I remember.
Now, really don't want to be blunt, but sugar-coating things never are the best choice, is it?
Personally, I felt this map was really unbalanced, not merely as a whole, but really, just each portion of the map in general.
  • Jump Course/Runner Areas: Both areas, I mean, look at the dimensions: These areas are quite huge, both in height and width. There's also quite a bit of both of these areas, primarily that of the area in "Split2" that really just has large portions of empty space with really nothing there to begin with. Because of this, there was a bit of a problem on the original map regarding these area's alone: The emptiness of both levels tended to have large spikes of Lag. Runner maps anyways tend to have a lot of platforms or possible areas of both escape and flanking opportunity. I have to agree with Dio back on the "Split2" thread, as some of these sections need some improvement.
  • Spleef Area: I have a bit of a personal problem with this map. It is essentially, at least in my opinion, almost similar enough to that of the original map "Spleef," that being a vertical area with different layers/floors that all are interconnected by 4 water-vators running up to the top of the map within the corners, and a "risk" water-trap (in this case lava and water) on the ground level below all that of the spleef-able floors.
    The only difference that really maps this section of the split map different compared to that other map is that each spleef-able floor essentially has a different layout in terms of the adminium and that of different-textured blocks per floor.
  • Maze Area:----- Either you don't have a thread with this section yet, or you have decided not to incorporate this as it's on, separate map, so--- No Opinion! :p
A lot of these "Split" styled maps happened to have been created after the success of Worstever's one involving all the styles of surviving on Zombie's. Honestly, I don't think it was all that great of an idea to really just "Split up" your own particular map in this style, into a bunch of smaller maps with essentially the same design. They do indeed feel weaker alone than otherwise.

Wouldn't it just be better to possibly... Just make a new map, with a new design, new aesthetic, new etc and possibly, if you wanted to make another runner or spleef map, just take some concepts from your previous work and improve on that; build from one stage to another?
You said it yourself: The Population of the Blocktopian Classic Minecraft Zombie Survival Server has been diminishing over this past year. So, seeing that as well as incorporating what I said prior----
---Wouldn't it be better to make a new map that specifically pertains to this ever decreasing population of players?
Either that, or try to improve on these maps already submitted, and refer them to a different name or title or etc.
Make it more unique so it works better on it's own accord and not under the shadow of the map it was once apart of!
Of course: Personal Opinion, as it is always the case in terms of discussing these kinds of things!

Albeit, even with what I have already said above...
And either said maps are accepted without said advice, or as personal preference you don't want to change things or including some other reason...
Zombie's has always been a fantastic, close-knit, and supportive community, and have been able to survive, and struggle on through many a situation.
So, even without changes, I am absolutely certain the people of our fair Zombie Survival will make do and have a splendid time participating on these assorted, split-up maps anyways!
It is a game, and games are meant to be fun, no? :3

My 2-cents on the matter.
Take it with a pinch of salt or whatever.
Best of luck in this submission nonetheless! o/