Space Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Map Name: Space Escape (Planning to change to something original later)
Author: Catcocomics
Screenshots: still somehow don't know how to upload snapshots
Category: Adventure (DEMO)
Command Blocks: Mostly take care of, with the exception that I don't know #&$@ about adding in entity NBT.
Misc Info: The map I wish to release first is simply a demo; early alpha demonstration of what the map might have in store from it's possibly lowest level. The full version won't even be able to be finished without a building team due to the intended size and complexity of this map. Ultimately, I'm trying to see if you guys find any potential in this map and if you are willing to help me complete it. Does include boss battles and Sonic level sequence. If this demo makes you think I'm a nut job, then I might scrap this map or save it for a later time.
Ultimately, I might have to save this map for a later time, due to how expensive server are, unless you find a loop hole to help me complete the map. As always, I have used too many words to describe my intentions.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Some snapshots randomly taken in the current DEMO version of the map are here:
http://imgur.com/yQh1ZkI,L2IlTPX,FaOKHU2,cTGDG9Q,VOQ0hwA,PoZbXL7

Again, this is only a demo of the full version. Help building the rest of the map will be appreciated to help improve NBT quality as well as to make rings able to spawn without difficulty (dispensers bugged now or something?).
I do know some NBT editing in vanilla... but not enough for this project to be complete beyond the demo.

Reactions: Dragosh

EggNog

c:
Reaction score
First off Catco thanks for submitting this map!

I would have to apologize at keeping you waiting for a reply, still getting used to having map submissions. I personally like the idea behind the map and after you explaining to me more about the gameplay it sounds like something I would like to see on our server. As for helping you finish the map I would encourage you to keep working on the map on your own for the time being. Unless you can somehow convert the map over to bb I don't see how we would be able to help you! I really like the map the aesthetics are... decent at best. Again, thank you for the submission I would encourage you to continue with this map even if it is a slow progress and then resubmit the map.

brownlee123

Reaction score
Not sure where you're going with this map...but it definitely looks like it has serious potential! The fact that you said it will HAVE to have a build team because it's so massive really got me excited. Here are the steps to getting your map available so that others can download it:

1) Make sure you have a Zipping(?) software downloaded. If not, try getting 7-zip or WinZIP (both of these are clean, I personally have 7-zip)
2) Head on over to MediaFire and make an account (it's free, and totally legit).
3) Make sure your map is all set, the go to Start (or wherever you search for files on your computer) and type "%appdata%"
4) Click on "Roaming", then ".minecraft". This is how you access your Minecraft folder.
5) Go to "saves" and find your map's save file. Drag it onto your desktop.
6) Right-click it, and, using your .zip software, turn it into a compressed folder (a folder with the .zip extension.)
7) Open your MediaFire webpage, and upload that file (pretty sure you just drag it onto the page) It will give you the URL to download that file.
8) Post the download link here on the forums where we can download it and check it out!

The map looks great, good luck dude!

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I've finished ironing out most of the redstone bugs on the demo version. I should be able to have the demo available soon, if not on the day of this post. Also, thanks for replying after that week or so after I posted the snapshots. Now, I might be able to handle redstone and basic building on my own, but there is a point when I just meet my limits with command blocks. And again, I'm good on basic structure design, but unless I'm recreating something, my details tend to flop. I'm hoping to have zones 2-8 be a lot more detailed than the first one. And for those who don't know what It is going to be link, think Sonic. Really excited to see what we can do once we start working on the final product for this map, so once it's out, go ahead and spend this week playing the demo. I haven't had anyone over to test 2 player compatibility yet though, so I will want those bugs ironed out as well. Last note: if you get stuck in the tutorial, either sprint jump onto the speed pad and hold Space, or have a friend do the jump for you, assuming you can get someone for player 2.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Ok, with known bugs Ironed, dialogue complete, and generally everything ready for Demo version, here it is!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/iwvwfrsf89yyasw/Space+Escape+DEMO.zip

Please reply as soon as you can

Final notes before play: There is currently no counter for lives. If you get "K.O.ed" while playing, don't worry, the map let's you keep trying however many times you want to. Also, to prevent the map from spamming or repeating things it has said (and to prevent score grinding), a good deal of redstone is 1-time activation. If you fail the tutorial, any "Robots" that you have destroyed or rings you have collected on ACT 1 will be permanently destroyed.

EggNog

c:
Reaction score
Just played through the demo. I have to say I love what you're doing with this. Few comments on some problems/things I love about it:

1. I feel some of the signs are a tad unclear as in once I die I'm not quite sure how to reset the map. I would suggest a reset button if there isn't one yet (I may be missing something if I am please point it out to me!)
  2. The other thing is I would like to see for the parkour section on the demo and any future sections a way to bring them back to the beginning of the level if they fall. Currently there is just glass with no way out. Either lava or a button would be nice.
  3. I love the speed pads and I have to say what you've done with the Command blocks is impressive.
  4. One problem with the boss when I entered the room for some reason the turrets did not spawn I don't know if I was doing something wrong but as far as I could tell there was no boss.
  5. One last thing possibly add some aesthetics using hardenedclay colors different colors for each level or something? Just a thought.
All in all I love what you did with this and honestly if you could finish it up I would want it on the server in a heartbeat. Please take your time I can't wait to see the finished map.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I see you had the scores disabled by accident. In both the lobby and the "Game Over" room, you have a button on the walls to your left and your right. One will enable all scores and teams, one will disable all scores and teams. A trick I did to kill two skeletons with one arrow, as a manner of speaking, I set up a score called 'Spawn'. When this score is removed or someone new joins the map, this score will cause a redstone circuit to return you to the lobby. Unfortunately, I did not make the start button re-activate all scores, so the glass part (Which will be replaced with black wool, as it is to keep players from viewing the redstone) is supposed to kill players who fall into it via a circuit tracking any one with the score of 'Geronimo'. If you take fall damage in this current form of the map (or even simply fall 4 meters), the circuit will attempt to deliver a comical death dialogue and give the player with 1 point in the score 'Geronimo' the effect of harming (level 50).

In short, you ran into errors caused by leaving the scores off. Sorry if anything is misleading, though it would help to check that the scores are enabled (Easy way to do this is to press tab. If no player list appears, or a player list that doesn't have a yellow number at the right of each name appears, this means the scores are off. Again, if I haven't all ready stated, there is a button to your left (if viewing the wall with the buttons) that enables scores. Also, the boss failed to spawn because the 'Boss' score was disabled. Sorry if this is of inconvenience, but I like to use scores as a way of wireless redstone.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
In technicality, no bugs actually exist, though I did fail to execute the demo at it's best potential. I think simply, I only need to wire the start button to the command blocks that enable the scores, and then we should have the lobby good to go. But seriously, this map requires the scores, so what eggnog described was obviously the symptoms of having the scores off. you can go ahead and try the map now and turn the scores on, just won't really be that different from if I wire the score enabling command blocks to the start button.

And also, I do want to keep a similar look/design patter throughout each zone, so that you can easily remember each zone for it's visual theme (for example: Zone 1 shows as a corridor with some lights and really plain stuff, where zone 2 could have from giant cookies, to a fiery version of a water park).

• Informative
Reactions: EggNog

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I know I said all that about how it was near-flawless and 100% anti-bugged. Problem about command blocks is that if an organism types something into it, they might make a typo and not notice it, which can cause some bad outcomes.

Change log for the map demo:​
- Act 1 Player dialogue fixed: Command block was named player previously.
-End Act 2 scores fixed: The command block meant to detect the 'Boss' score had some caps in the wrong places...
-Boss Dialogue fixed: Activating the rings around the boss has been fixed so that play 2 dialogue only activates if player 2 is present.
-Boss Dialogue fixed: The 'Boss Turrets' would sometimes jump or be pushed up by knock back slightly, this was fixed by adding a fence type block above their head to prevent this from happening. The result of this was the 'Mysteriously Familiar Voice' saying one of his lines prematurely.
-Some Visual fixes: the pool of water now has a floor, and most of the pits no longer let you see the beautiful redstone and super flat grass below.
-Score Fixing fixed: Now to activate all scores, simply press the start button! Removed lobby 'disable scores' button and both 'enable scores' buttons.
-Teams fixed: Ultimately, friendly fire is now disabled, finally.

Now then, here's the new box of cookies!
https://www.mediafire.com/?jcklqvha8ckaf3o
I promised they aren't disguised as robots this time!​

Last edited:

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
The part where you had to jump over the water was a bit frustrating because I think you need to time it right -- I had to redo it about 10 times and simply got frustrated.

After I passed that tutorial portion, where I had to jump over that water -- I started in Stage 1: Act 2 and fell into the first hole after I got the gold ingots. I wasn't teleported back and it never told me that I died, so I was stuck in there.

When I put in a new world, I traveled back to Stage1:Act2 and got killed by zombies. I think it would have been niced to be teleported back to Stage1:Act2 instead of back to the tutorial.

Dragosh

Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
blocktopia.net
  • Try to make the information not be a big block of text instantly sent at you, it makes it much more intimidating to read which means less people will even bother with it.
  • The zombies are glitchy and are able to get into the spawns, making the map impossible to play.
  • Not sure if this is supposed to happen but after completing the tutorial and a small piece of parkour I was instantly teleported into a room with infinite gold nuggets and instantly got spammed with a big conversation, again I'm not sure if you meant to make it like that but it was a bit confusing to say the least. Not quite sure where to go from here as I'm basically stuck in this room.
Small thing:
Two out of three glow stone at the end of the first corridor before entering the corridor that takes you to the water jump burned out.

Would like to continue but I got a bit stuck. :(

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Strange. The room with a huge bunch of rings is supposed to be the boss room, but unless you make it to the end of ACT 2, you shouldn't be sent there.

A few notes on the parkour parts:
1. when you fall in a hole, it's supposed to give potion effect harming at level 50 and activate a specific dialogue.
2. I'm probably going to nerf the water part so that you don't immediately die if you run at it (in current version, you have to hold space before you hit the speed pad and go forward enough so it launches you to the end of ACT 1 on the second jump, not releasing jump key until you land on the other side.)

I have, since I started on the command blocks, been considering adding a life system, actually been wanting to add it, but just haven't... never mind, just occurred to me a great way how to. (I set up a new, dummy type score called 'Lives', make it so that getting 100 rings (idk how you get 100 rings in the current levels), or picking up a 1-up item will gain lives, and losing will take lives. The idea being that you get returned to the start of the current act as long as you don't go to -1 lives.

As for the information, I will for certain make that shorter, assuming I decide to keep that part in.

The 'glowstone' that keeps burning out and relighting is intentional, as those are redstone lamps being activated and deactivated by snowmen. This is to simulate what might look like a broken force field.

In the current Demo version, the zombies have a high tendency to activate their spawn plates, possibly leading to a massive swarm of this. This will be fixed by having command blocks that set the map to peaceful every time Player 1 dies, and then immediately returning it to easy.

Lastly, the first boss has "infinite" ring pads on the ground, as the boss is merely a tutorial boss to demonstrate what the other bosses are likely to be like: Player 1 has to defeat the boss on their own, while Player 2, if in the game, is put in a holding cell or otherwise unable to help Player 1 (most of the time), as Player 2's invulnerability would be too easy to abuse, a mistake learned from older, REAL sonic games that allowed Tails to defeat the boss as Sonic simply avoided getting hit.
Point of the ring pads is that, if Player 1 collects the initial rings and then gets hit, they still have a chance at victory so they can pass the Boss Tutorial.

The new fixes should be implemented soon, so keep an eye out for any further links.

And remember, the checker-pattern at the end of ACT 2 for each zone always leads to the boss.

Reactions: Dragosh

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Thanks. Can't wait to start working on the other zones. I want them to be much longer than the first 3 levels.

[Edit]: Do you think it'd be a good idea to have the demo playable on A&T until the full version is complete?

Last edited:

Catcocomics

Reaction score
So... I'd like to know that my map has not been forgotten. Forgive me if any of you are working on it and just haven't told me or anything like that, but I do want to know what has been decided, if anything has been decided, about this map.

Status
Not open for further replies.