Accepted Snowma's Forum Moderator Application

snowma

Dwarf
Donor
Reaction score
Subforum(s) you wish to moderate: Creative Corner
Time-zone/Country of origin: United Kingdom

Question - You see user and long-time administrator, Malcovent abusing his Admin powers by berating a user and insulting him publicly, how do you proceed?:
God, I've had to do a lot of thinking on how to answer this. On a personal level I'm more then happy to go straight to him and give him a sound thrashing as I do on an almost daily basis. On a professional level I would gather as much evidence as possible of the incident and take it to the other Admins for them to discuss how to proceed. Same as I would for any other Admin who I saw berating users.

Question - An argument breaks out in a thread, both sides have some valid points but ultimately it is derailing the thread and starting a flamewar, how do you proceed?:
Take it outside. I'm all up for a good argument especially when I feel passionate about my points but there's a time and a place to do it where you can hash it all out without sparking a flamewar publicly. I'd be locking the thread, taking both sides to one.. side and asking politely to take it somewhere else out of this thread and somewhere more private.

Question - A user publicly contests with your decision as a moderator, with a public post disagreeing about your decision regarding a moderator action, how do you proceed?
Over my time here I've seen it happen numerous times and I understand when you feel strongly you are going to want to take things public. Personally I'd be more then happy to explain my side in a public response to the post so it's not all behind closed doors. Following this if they still felt dissatisfied I'd allow that user and anyone else to send me a personal PM to discuss it further outside of the post. It allows a good level of transparency without having to escalate into a public debate. I wouldn't want people to believe I was simply ignoring the matter.

Mock question - GmK is drunk and threatening to delete the forums, tell him your favorite joke so as to distract him:
Joke? No. I'd put him in front of this then disarm him.