SMP - Server Structure

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Introduction
Pending overwhelmingly positive responses towards the idea in the proposal thread, we're going forward with the development of SMP.

This forum is to be used for feedback on all matters of the server creation - staff, gameplay tweaks, mods, rules. I'll head most of these threads where necessary but if you feel anything has been missed out, don't hesitate to make a thread 'or' contact me asking me to discuss it.

This post will provide an incredibly brief and high-level overview of the server proposal without going into any specifics.

Server Proposal

We believe the following...

SMP Benefits from longevity, thus, we should aim to create a server that doesn't require resetting
The longer an SMP server survives, the richer the content becomes. Doing a hard-reset of maps/inventories every 3+ months is harmful, and should be avoided at all costs.

To facilitate longevity, 'Endgame' mechanics need to be balanced
A number of gameplay mechanics lend themselves to SMP becoming stale within the first three months, these gameplay mechanics (Identified in a seperate topic) need to be balanced in such a way that it eliminates the issue with minimal disruption to normal gameplay.

Content addition cannot happen until this is achieved
Immediate focus should be on a close-to-vanilla but balanced server, focus should not be given to features until we are comfortable that gameplay has been balanced, this provides a solid foundation to build off of.

New content should be integrated smoothly
We won't rule out the implementation of features/content plugins going forward, however new content should be integrated smoothly into SMP rather than any drastic resets/alterations.

Disregard popularity
We understand that SMP is a saturated server 'market'. We're not looking to hook in swathes of new players, we're just looking to provide a solid foundation for those in the community who want to play SMP. This server isn't being run from ER donations, ere-go playercount will only ever be a cause to tweak gameplay, not a cause to close the server.