SMP Rules - Compendium

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Introduction
The compendium has been added to clarify a growing number of loopholes being exposed/exploited in the server. Please note that as always we rely on users applying common sense. The rules are developed to allow for both the best of PVP and PVE - so please, be aware that your opinion may vary different, and it is difficult for us to write the rules in a way to benefit all parties.​

Section 1 - PVP Rules
1.) Do not Spawn Kill
Spawn-killing: Intentionally attacking users close to, and leaving, their relative spawn area (either smp spawn, or a bed).

2.) Do not PVP Log
PVP Logging: Intentionally logging out when attacked to stop yourself being killed and losing your items.

3.) Do not 'EXCESSIVELY' kill
Excessively Killing: Attacking a faction/user more than twice a day at their home/spawn area.

4.) Respect eachother
Do not scream in caps if you are killed, and do not gloat if you kill someone - No one likes a sore loser or a douche.

5.) Your spawn must be in friendly property - do NOT set your bed-spawn in an enemy users house, or right by it.
Side note: You 'may' set it an agreeable distance away (say 150m Minimum, less if you were there before you were enemies).

6.) You may construct traps, but do NOT trap people in your houses by placing blocks
If a user has broken into your house, you may not block the exits to make sure they cannot escape. However if a user has ender-pearled in, he/she is expected to enderpearl out. .

7.) You may no longer take items or leave entrances open when leaving a faction.

8.) You may no longer farm experience from being away from the keyboard next to a mob spawner for an excessive long time.

Password to play on SMP: Hippo swamp

Section 2 - General Rules
9.) Do not Grief
Griefing: Removing, editing or adding blocks to another users property..
Side note: This includes areas such as placing water, tilling soil, or growing trees against property.
Side note II: In the event you use other peoples resources (farms, etc.) you must re-till and seed the earth.
Side note III: Destroying 'Resource blocks' (blocks of iron/diamond/lapis) is considered griefing.

9.2.) If a house appears to be inhabiting a natural feature ( a cave) that is considered his property.
Sidenote: If there is considerably proof the player actively lives in a cave or similar (beds, doors, flooring, square rooms) breaking into it considered breaching rule #5. and punishable as such.

10.) You may Steal - As long as it does not break rule #5 or #7.

11.) You may not pillar over users houses
Side note: You may use ender pearls, but you may not grow trees or use pillars to clear defences (walls, etc.)

12.) You may swear - non excessively
Side note: you may swear for humorous effect, or occasional surprise. Avoid swearing in anger.

13.) Do not advertise upon our server.
Side note: Advertising is counted as giving other server ips without staff permission.

14.) Do not abuse bugs.
Bugs: an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in the server.

15.) No non-standard clients.
This means you can use the standard MC client, or Spoutcraft. Certain mods, like optifine are allowed to help improve your game experience, as well as Rei's mini map, but not a whole lot more. This also goes for manually editing files of the standard client. Ask a controller or director when in doubt.

16.) You may NO longer take over a stronghold OR Mycelium as a 'closed' base.
Side note: In the case of strongholds, you may take rooms, but users must have a clear path to the end portal.

17.) Overly stupid structures will be removed, you know who you are!

chris360kss

Titless
Reaction score
Malcovent about not trapping people in your house, what if you have some kind of trap that uses fall damage for killing and they wear feather falling boots/enderpearl to the bottom and cannot escape?

boredchicka

Texan
Reaction score
Generally, no matter how many rules we have, most mishaps are (or at least should be) at the staff member handling a situation's discretion. If we could just keep the rules simple, and trust our staff members, life would be easier.

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
History repeats itself - adding rules to circumvent issues in the playbase, adding even more rules to clarify other rules, adding other rules to explain those rules and their loopholes, making just yet fresh rules for other players that do things in other rules with rules.
agreed. We were trying to do this, but yuck put it best when he stated - alot of hardcore pvp'ers don't look at the rules as rules, they look at them as walls to find loopholes around. The problem is we did trust the staff members, and that led to someone ending up attacking a base 14 times a week. Over time i'll look to remove this post, but for now we need it to keep the hardcore pvp factions (matilda included) in check.

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I hasten to add that we solved the problem of excessive pvp by essentially creating a staff/ex-staff faction.

Note how D.E.A.T.H lost 500 iron ingots, 500 gold ingots and 120 diamonds in a 2 man raid, curteosy of us (Or atleast, myself/combo).

Edit - Really must avoid posting on less than 2 hours sleep... I hasten to add that we did not best them in combat, it was rather a cheap shot as raids go and I do sympathise for their loss :'P

FUN, BLOOD-COVERED SOLUTIONS

Roobarb Pie

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Would making a trap that requires a person to "sacrifice" temselves in a small chamber, which actually seals them in and dumps lava upon the other raiders who did not sacrifice, locked in due to the mechanism entailed in this, be greifable in the intention of escape?

Roobarb Pie

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I hasten to add that we solved the problem of excessive pvp by essentially creating a staff/ex-staff faction.

Kindly note how, D.E.A.T.H - the main pvp faction, lost 500 iron ingots, 500 gold ingots and 120 diamonds in a 2 man raid, curteosy of us (Or atleast, myself/combo).

And hence, half the server is now free from excessive raiding for two weeks!

FUN, BLOOD-COVERED SOLUTIONS.
I heard about that. Name said that he thought you were "admin visiting", and as a result, didn't attack you. He didn't realise that you ender pearl'd your way in :L shows that leaving your chests undirted when you're a large faction will often end with tragic results.

Super_Koray

Reaction score
Seems legit :p but uwhmm ? what about the whitelist huh ? and i beleve i saw "Factions" are you going to add Fations Plugin ?

crashb23

The Rising Star
Reaction score
Hey, about the trapping rule. I am having nether portal issues where a well trafficked nether portal links to my back yard. May I did a giant lava pit under it so that they have to go back to the nether and find a different portal?

Marnixxie

Hippo
Reaction score
Hey, about the trapping rule. I am having nether portal issues where a well trafficked nether portal links to my back yard. May I did a giant lava pit under it so that they have to go back to the nether and find a different portal?
When you trap someone, they are allowed to grief out, unless they have a way back.
So I would not really make one big lava pit.
Just "lock" them in a hole with only the chance to go back into the portal and go away.
That should solve your issue.

Reactions: DarthLego5679

Reactor

Reaction score
About the mob spawner rule it clearly states that it exist due to limited server resources. What if our trap kills the mobs so fast that only max 4 are alive at the same time? Or are the drops from mobs problem too? If thats the case then what if we gather em so fast that only max (ahm lets say 14?) items are on the ground at the same time.
Edit:Actually the problem might even be the "stress" from the continually dieing mobs, i am just speculating here and trying to find a solution if it exist.

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
The problem is 2 fold reactor.

1: The server constantly runs the mobs generation code. It'll run the cycles normally, but normally most cycles won't spawn anything or will spawn 1-2 groups, so it won't run nearly as much code as often. Mob grinders cause it to spawn groups much more often and is a much heavier burden as a result. I'm fairly certain blocktopia servers can still handle a grinder or 2, but that doesn't mean it should.

2: And more importantly, there is a mob cap in any minecraft game. Grinders eat a large portion of that cap. To the point where 2-3 grinders running at once (or one large one) means people running around at night might only see 3 mobs. This is the bigger concern, usually, as it's a huge imbalance in experience and item gathering rates, and can drastically change the game experience. And it's not just "the guy with a grinder gets more", but "the guys without a grinder are getting almost nothing" as well.

Reactor

Reaction score
Your second point (2: )can be dealt by allowing only a small number of mobs to be alive at the same time like i suggested before.
In regards to your first point (1: ) I think that by running (sprinting) around at night tons of mobs are spawned rapidly as well.
So a well restrained mob spawner whouldn't be a problem i think. But if you people don't want to make the rules too complex ok I understand (not, but I at least respect it >.<)