SMP Pre-Release Information and AMA

Jolterino

'_>'
Mafia Host
Reaction score
SMP Pre-Release Information

Hey guys, SMP is releasing in about 24 hours so I thought we'd release some information that could help everyone understand all the plugins and content we have.
• Server Concept:
SMP is a combination of all of our previously released servers and a bit of something new. The overworld is divided into a PvP and PvE zone in order to accommodate every type of player. We made sure to include content no matter what type of player you are.

• Classes:
SMP's combat is built around the Class system, there are currently 10 different classes, with a level cap of 50. Each class offers a different playstyle and kit to master. Classes are built using the SkillAPI plugin. This means they are very flexible and easy to change at a moments notice, without the need of relying on a plugin developer.
More information found here (coming soon).

• Mobs:
Vanilla mobs are buffed up and a large amount of custom mobs appear alongside them. Mobs scale up in strength the further you travel from spawn. Tougher mobs, known as Elite mobs, only appear in the PvP zone and are the only way to get the best gear (apart from loot chests).

• Items:
Along with vanilla mobs, weapons and armour suffered a similar fate. Items found from mobs are randomly generated, pulling their stats from a group of attributes relevant to the weapon or armour type. Higher tiers of items are harder to find and also much stronger.

• Quests:
Quests teach you the main story and flesh out a town’s lore. They are the main system of progression for the server, leading you through the different towns and regions.

• Dungeons:
Coming soon, dungeons are some fun co-operative content that any player can enjoy. Battle through hordes of enemies, pillage all the loot chests, solve puzzles and finally slay the dungeons boss for chances at some amazing loot.

• Economy:
Emeralds return as the main currency. They are used for trading, upgrading your settlements and paying transport fees among other things. They can be mined, found as mob drops, pillaged from loot chests, traded for other items.

• Settlements:
Players can form their own settlements, invite their friends and upgrade them all the way to a mighty empire. Along the way they can buy perks like nether portals or trades to strengthen their settlement.
More information can be found here (coming soon)

• Loot Chests:
Loot Chests can be found in all towns and contain better loot the harder they are to find, or if they are in the PvP zone. They all respawn after a set time.

• Transportation:
There are several methods of transportation stretched across the server, airships, ships, wizard towers, carts and minecarts. Some of them cost money, some of them don’t.

-----

SMP and Phases

To show that SMP is not just a release and forget project, the development team is committing itself to phases. These phases will last about one or two months and involves the post-release content we will be putting out for that phase. The first of these phases is called Explore.
• Explore:
This phase is focusing on adding new systems of content and also fleshing out existing towns. The first content update, Dungeons, will add a new system of content which thereafter will be frequently added to the server. The second content update, Invaders, involves a new area to explore and retake.
Some locations will look pretty barren on release, so the Explore phase will also result in frequent NPC, quest and trade expansions to towns. We want exploration to be rewarding, and the Explore phase will ensure that there is more to explore than what will exist at release.

• Conquer:
Conquer will be our second phase, this is a phase that focuses heavily on combat. This phase will introduce capture points, more dungeons, and a chance to reconquer a world that was lost to us.

-----

If you have any questions, please leave them below. Thank you!​

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
• Economy:
Emeralds return as the main currency. They are used for trading, upgrading your settlements and paying transport fees among other things. They can be mined, found as mob drops, pillaged from loot chests, traded for other items.
buy perks like nether portals
I'm hyped about economy it was one of the great features of jte. For the 2nd quote does this mean we can't build nether portals?

Jolterino

'_>'
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I bet everyone will stay in PvE zone except for too confident players.

Discordian PvP system would be better: PvE zones around various structures and buyable PvE plots for clan leaders.

How big map is?
I'm hyped about economy it was one of the great features of jte. For the 2nd quote does this mean we can't build nether portals?
The overworld map is 4000x4000.

You cannot build nether portals.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Great to hear!

Yes, only settlements (the lowest level, not too hard to get to) will be able to have nether portals, and we will probably have a public one too, not too long after release.

The main reason for this was to avoid the mess nether portals have caused on every SMP. Nether portals, as you know, splice if within 800 blocks of each other in the overworld, which cause players issues getting stuck when trying to create their own. I have also never been a fan of using this as a way to raid people. In addition there are often issues between players in the nether, with portals being created too close to each other, and conflicts there. It has through all of the SMPs I've staffed, been the second biggest time sink as a staff, only after griefing.

I think it adds something more to the server, you may not, but it certainly saves the staff and players a lot of trouble!

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I bet everyone will stay in PvE zone except for too confident players.

Discordian PvP system would be better: PvE zones around various structures and buyable PvE plots for clan leaders.
There will be several strong incentives for players that arent completely against PvP, to if not live there, at least go there.

Reactions: Notme

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
Great to hear!

Yes, only settlements (the lowest level, not too hard to get to) will be able to have nether portals, and we will probably have a public one too, not too long after release.

The main reason for this was to avoid the mess nether portals have caused on every SMP. Nether portals, as you know, splice if within 800 blocks of each other in the overworld, which cause players issues getting stuck when trying to create their own. I have also never been a fan of using this as a way to raid people. In addition there are often issues between players in the nether, with portals being created too close to each other, and conflicts there. It has through all of the SMPs I've staffed, been the second biggest time sink as a staff, only after griefing.

I think it adds something more to the server, you may not, but it certainly saves the staff and players a lot of trouble!
Yeah I think it would make the early rush to the nether less chaotic. I'm definitely not against it was just curious!

EDIT: Is there going to be a preview of the biomes/detailed map layout with Dynamic map or equivalent before the server launch?

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I think it would make the early rush to the nether less chaotic. I'm definitely not against it was just curious!

EDIT: Is there going to be a preview of the biomes/detailed map layout with Dynamic map or equivalent before the server launch?
There will be a quest to unlock the livemap after release, more info will come before release!

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Elytras will most likely never be enabled in the main world.
Why?

Its most fun way to travel.

Most of map is PvE anyway.

The overworld map is 4000x4000.
Tiny map - coordinates can go to only +-2000.
Unless you meant to write 8000x8000 - coords going from -4000 to +4000 would be something.

Circle map had radius of 3000 - 4000 - that is 6000 to 8000 thousand blocks across.

Last edited:

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Why?

Its most fun way to travel.

Most of map is PvE anyway.

Tiny map - coordinates can go to only +-2000.
Unless you meant to write 8000x8000 - coords going from -4000 to +4000 would be something.

Circle map had radius of 3000 - 4000 - that is 6000 to 8000 thousand blocks across.
A topic for another time.

no clue what you are talking about

• Haha
Reactions: Notme