Server Puzzle

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
=== NOTE ===
The first person to solve this puzzle should PM me with the solution, whatever it may be. You will know it is the solution when you see it. The first person to do this will get a custom entry and exit message for the launch day and first week, a reserved slot so they have guaranteed access to the server for the first week, and bragging rights! I highly recommend you work it through with others here, but only one may win! I am here to answer any questions (for example, if you can't read something or pertaining to the prize) but any questions about the answer or hints will be ignored. Good luck.
=== END NOTE ===

Funny how much warmer towns were. The sun was setting as Vannie Ulorter rode into town. The air was crisp, his breath billowed, and his eyes watered in the glare. Mercy Bevean, who happened to be washing her uncles rancid and molted moccasins as he rode into the Barony, was blinded by the twinkling and angelic light that outlined the thin, balding man and his mule. She dropped the moccasins in the dirt, grabbed her face, and ran into her house. Vannie hardly noticed the young women’s flight (and the subsequent roar from the house demanding the gawddamned ‘sins). He was too busy marveling the warmth. On the frontier, the chill got to you. It crept into your bones, and seized hold. It was horrid. Here in the Barony, however, the cold was tolerable. His mother had once said, towns were warmer, for they held more love. Vannie, a rather scientific and methodical man since birth, preferred his former teacher’s explanation: the more humans that lived in a community, the more animals lived among them. With humans and their animal kin living and dying in a shared location; the more pollution. Thus, there was more warmth.

Comforted by his teacher’s reedy and sharp voice, Vannie looked about the Barony. Mercy Bevean’s sobs finally reached him, and he scoffed. Love. Ja, he liked his teacher’s word much better. Much better.

Either way, he was happy. Hugging himself, he began to lead his mule (purchased at a trade station on the far fields of Empathica), towards the local lodge. A sign proclaimed: EAT DRINK SLEEP above its door. He smiled. It was so warm.

He haggled with the women tending the lodge (a young girl who might have been called pretty, oh so many Red Hops ago), claimed a room, tied his mule to the post – it’s tongue lolling out of its mouth thirstily, grabbed his sling, and eventually managed to collapse on his squeaky and rotted bed. SLEEP the sign had proclaimed. He doubted he’d be able to sleep much on this bed. The girl whisked by his open room, timidly wished him a goodnight, and tiptoed away.

Vannie laced his hands behind his head and looked up at the sagging ceiling. Boredom was already setting in. The teacher’s voice was returning. He could never remain in one place could he? Couldn’t sit still could he? Vannie looked about, inspecting his room. He expected no trouble here (the girl looked as if she could barely raise a dagger, much less stab him with one), but it was good to check. There was a chest with three long, ponderous scratches down the right flank, a dresser, and an odd and misshaped night stand. A jade lamp stood, precariously, on it.

Vannie stood, slipping his hand into his pocket grasping the sliver of a sword within (many joked, calling it a Tooth Pick), and opened the dresser’s doors. He let go of his sword and reached in. Tucked in the corner was an old, leather book. He grabbed it, and pulled it out. The leather squeaked painfully and he blew the dust off it, slowly. There was no title. There was only a dark, inky rose twirling across the cover.

He collapsed back on his bed (it screeched beneath him) and cradled the book. How ponderous it was, and how beautiful. The teacher’s voice had risen again, telling him to open it, rip its secrets out, and move on. Always move on. For he couldn’t sit still could he? Vannie Ulorter rubbed the rose, opened the worn, shining book… and lost himself in the past.

The book read:

l nqhz wkdw Vdppb zrxogq’w eh dzdnh iru dqrwkhu vslq durxqg wkh forfn, vr l wkrxjkw: zkdw wkh khoo? Zlwk d slwlixo yrlfh, dqg d vkdnb ghphdqru l dssurdfkhg pb Sdsd. Kh zdv juxpeolqj dqg ixvvlqj zlwk vrph elj, dolhq, ixccb sodqw. Klv fkdlu zdv uroohg qhdu wkh zlqgrz dqg lw vhhphg olnh wkh sodqwv rq wkh zlqgrzvloo zhuh pdnlqj zdu djdlqvw klp. Kh zdv wdqjohg derxw wkh ydulrxv ylqhv dqg ohdyhv, wkh ixccb (Fdw’v Wrqjxh, l wklqn lw zdv fdoohg) sodqw grlqj wkh prvw gdpdjh, vsxq wkurxjkrxw klv zkhho vsrnhv.

‘’Huh Sdsd, ohw ph khos,’’ l vdlg, vriwob.

Kh orrnhg xs, dqg klv hbhv iodvkhg zlwk slwlixo krsh.

‘’Kdos jhw glv vwxii rii ph,’’ kh jxpphg.

l nqhow grzq, dqg ehjdq wr xqwdqjoh wkh pdvv ri iroldjh. Krz kh jrw klpvhoi vwxfn lq lw… l glgq’w hyhq zdqw wr nqrz. Kh orrnhg grzq dw ph zlwk rqh hbheurz udlvhg, wkh ulvlqj vxq jolqwlqj rii klv ehqw jodvvhv.

‘’Duqw bdk vxssrvh wd eh grzq dw wkh pdunhw?’’

l frqwlqxhg wr zrun zlwk wkh elj ixccb sodqw, Fdw’v Wrqjxh, dqg vdlg zlwkrxw orrnlqj xs:

‘’Wkd frzv duh brnhg dqg zdvkhg, mxvw zdlwlq iru Vdppb,’’

Ilqdoob ulsslqj wkh sodqw dzdb iurp klp, l orrnhg xs dqg zlqfhg. Plqldwxuh vxqv eodchg zlwklq klv jodvvhv.

‘’Dqg kh grhvq’w jhw xs iru qrwkhu vslq.’’

Kh iurzqhg dqg orrnhg rxw wkh zlqgrz. ‘’Bdk zdqw, xk vwrub kxk?’’
Pb prxwk xqklqjhg dqg l vwduhg dw klp. Pb ilqjhuqdlov ulsshg vrph gdssohg dqg fulvs ohdi. Kh fkxfnohg dqg ohdqhg edfn lq klv fkdlu. Wkh plqldwxuh vxqv zlqnhg dqg iodvkhg.

‘’Nhhs, dk zrunlq, dqg L’oo whoo bdk rqh,’’ kh vdlg, dqg wkhq joduhg dw ph srlqwhgob. ‘’D vkruw rqh.’’

l ehjdq wr iudqwlfdoob sxoo dw wkh pdvv ri sodqwv, dqg kh fohduhg klv wkurdw.

‘’Mdplh, pb Mdplh… rqfh xsrq dk wlph…

Wkdu zdv dk bxqj dqg vwudsslq pdq, pxfk olnh pbvhoi.

Kh zdv dk idupd, dqg klv idplob wkh G’krxoug fodq oryhg hp iru lw. Lw zdv kdug, gdqjhurxv zrun – kduuld’v dqg edqglwv dwwdfnlq dqg vwruplq idupkrxvh diwhu idupkrxvh.

Rqh gdb, zdonlq dzdb iurp wkh fdqh ilhogv, kh ghflghg w’ ghwrxu wkurxjk wkd Gdqghor Zrrg. W’ Zrrg zdv d kdxqwhg dqg orqhob sodfh, exw olnh prvw brxwk, kh zdv, dk, khdgvwurqj dqg duurjdqw. Kh zdqwhg w’ fkdoohqjh, zdqwhg wkd lpsuhvv wkh idlu dqg ehdxwlido Dqqlh Ehyhdq. Vr wkd kdqgvrph dqg irrolvk pdq zhqw lqwr wkd Zrrg.

Lw zdv kruuliblq. Doo ri wkd eoxh vnlhv zhuh vzdoorzhg xs eb Gdqghor. Vwudqjh vfudshv dqg uxfnxvhv huxswd’g derxw klp, dqg vtxlqwlq lqwr wkd gdun wuhhv, kh wkrxjkw kh vdz vrph fuhdw’d orrn edfn. Kh hyhqwxdoob pdgh w’ rxw ri wkd Zrrg, exw ehiruh kh glg, kh irxqg dk qrwh.

Vrphzkhud, ghhs lq wkd ehoob ri w’ orqj, irujrwhq Zrrg; wkh pdq fdph wr dk jodgh. Lw zdv gdun dq srlvrqhg. D vwuhdp udq vfduohw. Wkd pdq wkrxjkw kh’g vwxpeohg dq zhdyhg klv zdb w’ d qhz, gdvwdugob zruog. Rqh ri hylo. Kh wxuqhg, dq vwrsshg. Wzr wuhhv wr ‘lv ohiw, qhdu d gblqj dq vlfnob rdn, zdv dk vfuds ri sdshu. Kh pdqdjhg w’ uhdfk wkd wuhh. Lw zdv vpdoo frpsduhg w’ wkd zklwh, erqb rdn. Wkh sdshu, dk qrwh, zdv wdfnhg wr wkd wuhh zlwk dk uxvwhg dqg uhgghqhg qdlo. Kh wruh lw grzq juhhglob, zlwk, dk, wuhpeolq ilqjdv. Kh vxfnhg lq ‘lv udjjhg euhdwklq, dqg ehjdq wr zklvshu wkd qrwh wr wkd vzdblq wuhhv.

Bgub if gpvoe uib opuf, if sbo boe sbo. Uib fzft boe tdbsmfu tusfbn gpmmpxfe ‘jn bmm uib xbz uispvhi uib Xppe. Xifo if nbef u’ pvu, tvdljo jo uif bjs boe xffqjo, qspnjtjo ijntfmg if’e ofwfs sfuvso up uif Eboefmp Xppe… if uvdlfe uib opuf joup ijt qpdlfu…

…Boe xjui uibu, uijoljo pg uif fzft bo tdbsmfu bo cpoz pbl, uijoljo pg uif ubmf if dpvme ufmm Boojf, if xbmlfe ipnf.’’

Nz Qbqb’t kbx dmptfe xjui bi dmbdl, boe if mfbofe cbdl; fzft hmjtufojoh.

Uif qmbout mbz, ubohmfe boe gpshpuufo cz nz iboet. j gfmu cfusbzfe, xspohfe. Tupsjft xfsf tvqqptfe up cf ibqqz. Uif nbo mjwfe, cvu qbqb nbef ju tpvoe tp… tbe. Qbqb mpplfe epxo bu nf, ufbst spmmjoh epxo ‘jt difflt.

‘’Hp bo gjoe Tbnnz opx,’’ if xijtqfsfe.

j tuppe, uif qmbout dmbxjoh bu nz tjeft boe –

Wboojf gmjqqfe uif qbhf, fyqfdujoh npsf pg uif tmpqqz boe uxjsmjoh qsjou. Cvu uifsf xbt opof. Pomz sjqqfe qbhft. Uif ufbdifs’t wpjdf, tpgu boe qfstjtufou, xijtqfsfe uibu uijt xbt jnqpsubou, wfsz jnqpsubou… cvu Wboojf Vmpsufs ejeo’u dbsf. If xbt upp cvtz dszjoh. Uif cppl gfmm uispvhi ijt gjohfst, uif dpwfs dmptjoh xjui b tobq. Uif sptf hmfbnfe. If cvsspxfe ijt ifbe jo ijt nvtuz boe xjmufe qjmmpx.

Uif hjsm (uif pof uibu ibe podf cffo cfbvujgvm… cfgpsf uif Tdbsmfu ibe nbjnfe boe sbwbhfe ifs cpez) gmpbufe cbdl joup uif eppsxbz. Tif dmvudife ifs ifbsu boe xijnqfsfe, bt tif xbudife uif tusbohf nbo xffq.

D

Deleted member 4601

Gosh, I only managed to solve the front part :/

D

Deleted member 4601

What I've got so far:

I knew that sammy wouldn’t be awake for another spin around the clock, so i thought: what the hell? with a pitiful yoice, and a shaky demeanor i approached my papa. he was grumbling and fussing with some big, alien, fuzzy plant. his chair was rolled near the window and it seemed like the plants on the windowsill were making war against him. he was tangled about the yarious yines and leayes, the fuzzy (cat’s tongue, i think it was called) plant doing the most damage, spun throughout his wheel spokes.

‘’ere papa, let me help,’’ i said, softly.

he looked up, and his eyes flashed with pitiful hope.

‘’halp get dis stuff off me,’’ he gummed.

i knelt down, and began to untangle the mass of foliage. how he got himself stuck in it… i didn’t eyen want to know. he looked down at me with one eyebrow raised, the rising sun glinting off his bent glasses.

‘’arnt yah suppose ta be down at the market?’’

i continued to work with the big fuzzy plant, cat’s tongue, and said without looking up:

‘’tha cows are yoked and washed, just waitin for sammy,’’

finally ripping the plant away from him, i looked up and winced. miniature suns blazed within his glasses.

‘’and he doesn’t get up for nother spin.’’

he frowned and looked out the window. ‘’yah want, uh story huh?’’
my mouth unhinged and i stared at him. my fingernails ripped some dappled and crisp leaf. he chuckled and leaned back in his chair. the miniature suns winked and flashed.

‘’keep, ah workin, and i’ll tell yah one,’’ he said, and then glared at me pointedly. ‘’a short one.’’

i began to frantically pull at the mass of plants, and he cleared his throat.

‘’jamie, my jamie… once upon ah time…

thar was ah yung and strappin man, much like myself.

he was ah farma, and his family the d’houlrd clan loyed em for it. it was hard, dangerous work – harria’s and bandits attackin and stormin farmhouse after farmhouse.

one day, walkin away from the cane fields, he decided t’ detour through tha dandelo wood. t’ wood was a haunted and lonely place, but like most youth, he was, ah, headstrong and arrogant. he wanted t’ challenge, wanted tha impress the fair and beautifal annie beyean. so tha handsome and foolish man went into tha wood.

it was horrifyin. all of tha blue skies were swallowed up by dandelo. strange scrapes and ruckuses erupta’d about him, and squintin into tha dark trees, he thought he saw some creat’a look back. he eyentually made t’ out of tha wood, but before he did, he found ah note.

somewhera, deep in tha belly of t’ long, forgoten wood; the man came to ah glade. it was dark an poisoned. a stream ran scarlet. tha man thought he’d stumbled an weayed his way t’ a new, dastardly world. one of eyil. he turned, an stopped. two trees to ‘is left, near a dying an sickly oak, was ah scrap of paper. he managed t’ reach tha tree. it was small compared t’ tha white, bony oak. the paper, ah note, was tacked to tha tree with ah rusted and reddened nail. he tore it down greedily, with, ah, tremblin fingas. he sucked in ‘is ragged breathin, and began to whisper tha note to tha swayin trees.