Rules for Land Claiming

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Intro: Land claiming has always been a grey area in the past SMP's. People have gotten angry over certain clans claiming huge chunks of land from day 1, claiming land that they have done absolutely nothing with, and walling off land that ends up blank. We've revised these rules to make them set for the server, and not following them will result in opening the land and a possible warning.

To claim land, you must place a sign (or a few signs) down at the spot of the claim. The sign must have the following info;
1. Something denoting that the land is claimed.
2. Your in-game name and/or clan name
3. The date of the claim. Please signify what kind of dating you are using. Either Month/Day/Year, or Day/Month/Year.
4. (OPTIONAL) How big the claim will be, or any extra info about how much land you will use

The sign, or multiple signs you place down may look like this:

If you spot a land claim that has had nothing done with it for 2 weeks from the supplied date, you may destroy the sign and claim the land for yourself. Do not lie about the date, as the date is provable from Prism logs - and if you lie, you will not only lose the claim but will be definitely warned.

Also do not claim lots of land for the sake of doing it, or put signs everywhere to claim a ton of land. Make reasonable claims, nobody is going to move that close to you if they know you will be a big clan or will use the space, as there is a chance they will be murdered / forced to move. Chances are, the land will still be waiting for you, and you can always discuss it before anything is done with the land.

You are NOT allowed to claim a whole biome. Also, avoid terrain griefing biomes for the sake of resources. If you do take a lot of resources, please make an effort to make it look somewhat good.

You're free to remove the land claim sign once you've done something with the land, but keep it out or we won't be doing anything if the land is taken and you were the one who took down the sign, or never placed one in the first place.

If you have any questions, please do ask. Hopefully this new system will work out better than ones in the past!

Willchill

Blocktopia's Official Octopus
Reaction score
Hmm.

What if someone places a sign in a hard-to-see place (e.g thick jungle) and they claim 8x8 chunks with only one sign? I don't feel as if that is a great way of telling someone that the land is yours. :x

Also, for the sake of mocking YouTube commenters...
first.

F

Fjm12

What if you only place one sign and then another person comes from the opposite direction and accidently claims your land after you've claimed it?

• Agree
Reactions: Willchill

77thShad

Ayy lmao
Reaction score
What if you only place one sign and then another person comes from the opposite direction and accidently claims your land after you've claimed it?
Then the person who claimed it first would gain ownership and the other person would have to look for a new spot. There's really not a 'perfect solution' for claiming, if you don't want this to happen then put your sign in an easy to see place and if you're looking to claim land, make sure you have a look around first to se if anyone else has claimed it.

Edit: Of course you can wall off the area you want as well, the signs just make it official.

Reactions: Willchill

77thShad

Ayy lmao
Reaction score
I'll claim only chunk, that my bunker is standing ;)

Edit: How large area clans may takeover?
As much as you want as long as it isn't intruding on other's land and that you use it all up. For example you can't claim 500x500 and then only build on a small portion of it, leaving 80% bare but unusable to others. That's the rules to my understanding at least.

• Informative
Reactions: Notme

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I edited in a part about biome claiming / terrain griefing. TL;DR, DON'T DO IT.

Hmm.

What if someone places a sign in a hard-to-see place (e.g thick jungle) and they claim 8x8 chunks with only one sign? I don't feel as if that is a great way of telling someone that the land is yours. :x

Also, for the sake of mocking YouTube commenters...
first.
That's true, you can probably put a few signs around saying something like "LAND CLAIMED" and possibly put the coords of the original sign, or just put a few signs around. You can also go for a border approach, but that's generally annoying to do and if you end up not using the land, people don't like cleaning up a big border. :p

You can probably place a few more, and make border markers. Though this is basically the same question as above.

Reactions: davidjl123

Thymos

Thy Friendly Moose
Reaction score
This is not the same as the protected village land claim, I assume?

Also, can you claim, for instance, a village, and have it to where it is against the rules to kill any villagers?

Reaction score
Wondering if you can write -
1. Something denoting that the land is claimed. LAND CLAIM
2. Your in-game name and/or clan name UNITATO
3. The date of the claim. Please signify what kind of dating you are using. Either Month/Day/Year, or Day/Month/Year. 20/12/13 (D/M)
4. (OPTIONAL) How big the claim will be, or any extra info about how much land you will use. Mountains here

F

Fjm12

Uh, what if you aren't sure exactly how many blocks you're claiming? Can you just substitute that part of the claim with some sort of barrier or fence around?

EDIT: Nevermind, just read it's optional.

Doxxieh

Reaction score
In my opinion, claiming land is just a stupid idea. (Not that this will count for anything but,) I think it should be as follows: If you build on it, you've built on it, and others obviously can't build where you did. Whoever builds there first owns the area they built on because they have something built on it, in the way of whatever else would be built by others. Why put a sign up? :p

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
In my opinion, claiming land is just a stupid idea. (Not that this will count for anything but,) I think it should be as follows: If you build on it, you've built on it, and others obviously can't build where you did. Whoever builds there first owns the area they built on because they have something built on it, in the way of whatever else would be built by others. Why put a sign up? :p
What If I built a 1000x1000 box of fences at server launch, and claimed it as "my property" since I built around it.

No type of claiming is ideal for either, but this have worked out quite well =)

Doxxieh

Reaction score
What If I built a 1000x1000 box of fences at server launch, and claimed it as "my property" since I built around it.

No type of claiming is ideal for either, but this have worked out quite well =)
I meant something with a point, not something pointless like a box of fences. If someone built a 1000x1000 block city that people actually lived in, or if they used it as storage space or whatever, that would be perfectly acceptable, provided it wasn't too big in proportion to the map. Maybe a cap on size or something could be implemented?

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I meant something with a point, not something pointless like a box of fences. If someone built a 1000x1000 block city that people actually lived in, or if they used it as storage space or whatever, that would be perfectly acceptable, provided it wasn't too big in proportion to the map. Maybe a cap on size or something could be implemented?
Yeah, but I think you're missing the point of why this was here. It's here because on old SMP's people would box off land that they never used, and this makes sure that if they claim land it is obvious (which was a bit of a problem) and makes sure it ensures it is used (which was a bigger problem). Once it is built on it's obvious that the land is claimed and a sign is no longer needed, but this is before you actually use the land.

This only applies to the pointless stuff, once there is tangible evidence of people living there or building there then it is assumed that it is claimed land.