roundtime/map size/afk time/ yawn!

6 minute build time, 6 minute lava time, on small maps

• Total voters
Reaction score
I know all of these suggestions have been mentioned before, but please reply any way and let me argue for them before the thread gets locked. I would love to play blocktlava, but they are very off putting to me joining.

1 - Shorter rounds.

I read the other threads, I read the read before post, but its still the number one off putting thing about block lava. I have read that its works here, since this place has been around forever but for me its super boring.

A player build a house, cave, etc. And then sits in it for 25 minutes jumping and typing anything into the chat box to not get afk kicked. It would be more inviting for users if the lava last 5 or 6 minutes. Enough time to get to the walls off the house, and test if it was good or not.

Lava survival is not freebuild, It should be about surviving, trying to build a house in 6 minutes that's good enough to survive the lava. If you make windows, a bed and a shower then more power to your great job.

38 minutes till end of round.... really? and its the weak lava that doesnt eat blocks and last 25 minutes? yawn. bye.

but but but... they will get too many cocos? What are they going to do with the cocos? buy controller rank? Its not a problem, and if it was then raise the store prices

I know its be said many times before, but many people have come and gone because of it. I dont want to sit around for 25 minutes in my box making beds and waiting for the idiot next to me to grief it. Yes I know there are shorter rounds, but 15, 20 and 25 is way to long. Sometimes I just want to play for 15 minutes! If you log in, 15 minutes to round end and its all ready flooded for 10 minutes, well what can I do?

Suggestions - 6 minute build time, 6 minute lava.

2 - Small maps

The maps are huge, and it takes ages for the lava to get there. Such as paradise is way too tall. you could half the high of that place. its 64x64x64. 50x50x25, use adminium if it has to be square.

A small map would let the lava get to the houses quicker, and you might get to meet some friends rather than run off to some far corner.

suggestion - 50x50x25 , or 64x64x64 with half the high blocked by adminium.

3 - afk time.

6 minute aka kick. that's not long enough for some afk activities. If your server was full, and you needed the slots, then I expect one of the 30 members on line would have a rank high enough for kicking.

suggestion - after 4 minutes - 'player is AFK'. Then after 20 minutes, auto kick.

4 /b

well not so important, but I'l add it to the list. just to know who built what, so I can say thank you or, hey whats this!

----

I know these will have been said many times before, but that's for a reason. I really want to play in this community, but I dont think I can stomach playing on the classic lava with rounds that long. I want action, and a scramble to build quickly with an adrenalin rush of oh no here comes the lavaaaaahh!
So, I have made that suggestion. :balanced:

Agent2479

Born without a face
Reaction score
1. Shorter Rounds
No. This has been suggested way too many times. Even with the current round times, some maps STILL don't flood all the way.

2. Small Maps
The problem with this is, there is hardly any room to build, and there isn't room for the mapmaker to be creative in.

3. AFK kick
It is not fair to new players who want to connect for slots to be filled with people sitting there for 20 minutes waiting to earn their cookies.

4. /b
???

Vatowski

Reaction score
4. /b
???
/b is a classic command that let's you know who built and destroyed what block by simply typing /b and then hitting the block or placing a block in the area you want to inspect. It is usually a staff command and I am pretty sure blocktopia classic lava has something similar to it. I don't know why a player would need it though :p

Reactions: pinkyellowpink

Agent2479

Born without a face
Reaction score
/b is a classic command that let's you know who built and destroyed what block by simply typing /b and then hitting the block or placing a block in the area you want to inspect. It is usually a staff command and I am pretty sure blocktopia classic lava has something similar to it. I don't know why a player would need it though :p
I know what /b is. I've used it millions of times. Sorry if you misunderstood.

• Informative
Reactions: Vatowski

trngl3087

Reaction score
1. Rounds will be made shorter. This was announced in a community meeting two weeks ago. Our developer is working on a update that will allow us to make them shorter. They're not going to be any shorter than 20 minutes, though (they will be a lot more challenging so that 20 minutes doesn't seem like ages).

2. The maps we have aren't going to be changed. If you would like to submit a small map, go ahead: http://blocktopia.net/forum/forums/map-submissions.35/

3. No, we're not changing this.

4. /about is for staff members, not players.

• Informative
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply ageny 2479! lets go!

1. Shorter Rounds
No. This has been suggested way too many times. Even with the current round times, some maps STILL don't flood all the way.
Its been suggested way too many times for a reason! People don't like it. I would expect it to be more popular with my suggested 12 minute round times (6 build time, 6 lava).

Has anyone come here and said, lets have longer rounds yet?

As for still don't flood all the way in 20 minutes, lets go see point 2. (also, never use slow lava)

2. Small Maps
The problem with this is, there is hardly any room to build, and there isn't room for the mapmaker to be creative in.
anyroom to build? I didn't say make a 10x10x10 map did I? Just a touch smaller, so that lava get's across the whole map in 2 minutes.

mapmaker to be creative? Some of the best maps on other lava server's are plain flat maps. then its up to the lava players to be creative.

I do agree large maps are better if the lava could smash across them in 3 minutes... but that does not happen. If the lava doesn't cover the map its makes the rounds pointless to play.

3. AFK kick
It is not fair to new players who want to connect for slots to be filled with people sitting there for 20 minutes waiting to earn their cookies.
Then you as OP should kick afker's if the server is full. If there's no op's on a full server then that's a differnt problem. If there's 5 people on it, and I kicked for being afk for 6 minutes its a minor frustration.

If the games lasted roughly 12 minutes, (6 build, 6 lava ish) then afking would be less of an issue because players would have something to do rather than sit around building sofa/TV's in their houses for 20 minutes. Maybe I should have stuck with just two points?

--------------------

Thanks for the reply, Its was predictable that would be a strong reaction against my ideas, but there's no way I can play here with these massively long rounds. I do love the look of the community, so I hope that there's someone out there that willing to imagine the above 4 ideals in action together, and think of implementing them.

Reaction score
Thanks fro the reply, my turn!

1. Rounds will be made shorter. This was announced in a community meeting two weeks ago. Our developer is working on a update that will allow us to make them shorter. They're not going to be any shorter than 20 minutes, though (they will be a lot more challenging so that 20 minutes doesn't seem like ages).
ahhh! an admission that some rounds are too long, and you can make them shorter.

Its the first steps!

2. The maps we have aren't going to be changed. If you would like to submit a small map, go ahead: http://blocktopia.net/forum/forums/map-submissions.35/
Its very cool to be able to submit a map. The maps are pretty cool as they are, just too big

64x64x32, 1 block layer of dirt, 1 block layer of grass. lava arrives in 6 minutes, go build!

3. No, we're not changing this.
Nnegotiation tatic, 'ask for more'. You can win this one, but points 1 and 2 are the one's I am after!

4. /about is for staff members, not players.
Can any harm come from guests having /b? no

Can it help them determine who griefed them, thus helping them when asking an op to help? yes

not really important, so sure let's drop that too.

-------------

I like this reply, plus the meeting info was interesting. I guess the outcome of this thread won't affect the server, but on the off chance those who meet for lava are reading, then just imagine the 6 minute build time, then 6 minute lava on a smaller map.

Exciting quick fire rounds, where players could wonder in and play, and have fun rather than standing around for 20 minutes waiting for a new round to start, then finding out its a 40 minute round.

I don't want to play for an hour, but 20 minutes is ok!

I am sure there are others that think the same, thus the suggestion that I think will be popular with players who dont currently play on blockTlava.

trngl3087

Reaction score
Yes.

as for still don't flood all the way in 20 minutes, lets go see point 2. (also, never use slow lava)
?

there's no way I can play here with these massively long rounds. I do love the look of the community, so I hope that there's someone out there that willing to imagine the above 4 ideals in action together, and think of implementing them.
I appreciate that you went through all the effort to make these suggestions, but the server and its development doesn't revolve around what one player wants.

64x64x32, 1 block layer of dirt, 1 block layer of grass.
A map like this will be denied.

Can any harm come from guests having /b? no
Wrong. Give players /b and they start using it to accuse other players of griefing. It's a tool for trolling in the wrong hands.

Can it help them determine who griefed them, thus helping them when asking an op to help? yes
An op can use /b and check. Ops exist to help players, not the other way around.

just imagine the 7 minute build time, then 6 minute lava on a smaller map.
I have.

I don't want to play for an hour, but 20 minutes is ok!
Glad you think so.

blockTlava.
Blocktopia. Not BlockT.

DSiGameMaster

Reaction score
I, Personally, I love the idea. However, Maybe extend the 6 minutes to 7-8 so it's not AS quick
Either that, or (as always suggested by users) Maybe lower the time from about 40 minutes to maybe 25-30.
Because it's sad when the rounds are longer then my TV shows.

but then again thats just me, i'll still play/support the server even if nothing changes

• Love

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
I might as well throw my opinion in here as well.

ahhh! an admission that some rounds are too long, and you can make them shorter.

Its the first steps!
They can't make them shorter, but they will be able to, and don't use 'admission.' They're not accepting the truth of it, they're just getting around to working on it. Remember this server's been in development longer than all the other Blocktopia servers, and this one issue has been thought about and debated on most of all.

Its very cool to be able to submit a map. The maps are pretty cool as they are, just too big
A lot of them are big because they're old, and from back in the day when the server was always 24/7 full with every type of rank building gigantic skyscrapers to the top. I've even seen some people fight over land in maps before. :p

lava arrives in 6 minutes,
I'm pretty sure this happens on certain maps, but we don't need it on every map. Maybe put longer build time on smaller maps (like volcano), shorter time on bigger maps (like halfpipe).;)

Just keep an open mind, and think of the perspectives of the staff and of other players around you. I mean, our servers are like a convention. We try our best to compensate to make everyone happy, but we just can't stretch far enough to cover everything.

Night_Slayer_

Reaction score
Yes..during longer round there is actually more to do..Build larger home,make a parkour-beat the parkour,talk,battle with friends..more!
Its been suggested way too many times for a reason! People don't like it. I would expect it to be more popular with my suggested 12 minute round times (6 build time, 6 lava).
May I ask how long you have played on the server,and your current rank..it is quite boring without the basic builder+ rounds..
No thanks,12 minutes is boring and you will only be able to build a small house,taking away the constructive purpose of lava surviving..
mapmaker to be creative? Some of the best maps on other lava server's are plain flat maps. then its up to the lava players to be creative.
As a map-maker myself I do not find the use of making maps smaller..they will suck;and,how could you think of building on flat maps-seriously..

| |
| | <--- never
|______________________|
I do agree large maps are better if the lava could smash across them in 3 minutes... but that does not happen. If the lava doesn't cover the map its makes the rounds pointless to play.
Yes,maybe..but how are people meant to build a dam in 3 minutes...or a house with mass lag..ITS POINTLESS!
It would but that defeats the purpose of /join [name] so it's just easier to ask ops..

''maps don't flood as they are'' Simple..add more timers.

EDIT: Even if we did have the lava speed increased it would cause more problems;
FIRSTLY there is the flooding issue I see,its would work to a flooders advantage if the lava speeds were sped up,causing a room to flood faster and stopping trusted+ doing there job properly,however there may be a solution-if the lava floods and somehow realizes there is no more blocks to flood then maybe it could switch on a sort of slowing-down command,which would slow the lava down..but the problem there,really,is that the commading for that would be extremely difficult and it may crash the server-or cause lag.
SECONDLY,if a player has massive amounts of lag of which I have experienced,there buildings or objects (homes,dams,AFK-boxes or caves might flood..An event occured today where I could barely move due to the computer I was using not letting me control the correct commands:jumping,moving and talking-which was annoying;which meant that my house was close to flooding.
THIRDLY there is the case of accidently flooding yourself..many times has this happened to me and my friends on the server and most of the times we managed to save them,but if it was a massive house-bearing in mind that trusteds do not get free sponges,they have to buy..its nothing compared to ops;free sponges,invincibility...the point I am making is that if a building like a parkour-dome,

or a home,like this tall one I made,

had a single hole it would probably flood due to the fact that maybe no op+'s were on the server (just saying.)

RaizzanX

Trash
Controller
Donor
Discord Staff
Reaction score
1. Some maps like long_lava_valley or half pipe require longer time to flood, however there are inconsistencies for some map where the rounds are long but the map has already flooded for the past 10 minutes. So this point, I have to agree and disagree. The prize of the store is just right or some of them might find it expensive, no point making it more expensive. The 6 minute build and 6 minute lava flood is...a bad idea. Players can get cookies too fast that way.

2. Smaller map will not really do well at all, I dont think there would be enough space for players to build, also a flat map with adminium wall... We already have that map,(map0 anyone or flat_grass) and those maps have been removed from the rotation since its flat and boring.

3. Afk time is just perfect but the server is not as full as it used to long time ago. The 6 minutes Afk is to ensure that players get a spot in the server, maybe we could increase the Afk time to 8-10 minutes? Well, no one is rushing for a spot in the server these days.

4. Totally a bad idea. Just leave /b to staff. It's better and players won't put the blame on others. There's a chance that players may pin a blame on other players. Just leave /b to a trusted+.

Extra note: long_lava_valley could use more timers instead of increasing round time.

• Love
Reaction score
I appreciate that you went through all the effort to make these suggestions, but the server and its development doesn't revolve around what one player wants.
Not just one player..... one player who is a complete n00b here!

I have been playing on minecraft classic for over a year, and every time I vist Bloctopia Lava I think, damn these rounds are way to long, and after a while of sitting there .... leave.

Recently I was looking for a good MC classic community and found blocktopia's forums and thought it was amazing. so I logged into the lava thinking, great here we are, my new place to play .... and the lava was dammed up, and it was going to be 20 minutes to the next round.

Rather than logging out and leaving, I thought I'd leave a thread to explain my feelings.

Reactions: trngl3087
Reaction score
This is a monster reply! Very intresting too,
Yes..during longer round there is actually more to do..Build larger home,make a parkour-beat the parkour,talk,battle with friends..more!
This is great reply, its clear what I want from a lava survival server if different from what you want.
But for arguments sake, I'd say go do you parkour and larger homes in freebuild.:p

May I ask how long you have played on the server,and your current rank..it is quite boring without the basic builder+ rounds..
lowest rank ever, I can't bring my self to sit and play one 40 minute round and I think other visitors may feel the same. I have used all the commands possible in other lava servers, its fun /wood_float or /door_green + /firework etc,

No thanks,12 minutes is boring and you will only be able to build a small house,taking away the constructive purpose of lava surviving..
Again, very interesting, as my purpose on lava survival is racing to build a house as fast as possible, and if I can make it look good, large interior and... not die!

As a map-maker myself I do not find the use of making maps smaller..they will suck;and,how could you think of building on flat maps-seriously..
A flat map is pure lava survival, no finding something pre-built and adding to it. Just you and a short amount of time to create the best possible lava survival safe house!

Yes,maybe..but how are people meant to build a dam in 3 minutes...or a house with mass lag..ITS POINTLESS!
Its a race against time! If you try and build something too big and fail, tough you lose! If you try and build something big with a few friends, you might WIN! That's my idea of fun in lava.

EDIT: Even if we did have the lava speed increased it would cause more problems;
FIRSTLY there is the flooding issue I see,its would work to a flooders advantage if the lava speeds were sped up,causing a room to flood faster and stopping trusted+ doing there job properly,however there may be a solution-if the lava floods and somehow realizes there is no more blocks to flood then maybe it could switch on a sort of slowing-down command,which would slow the lava down..but the problem there,really,is that the commading for that would be extremely difficult and it may crash the server-or cause lag.
Yes, if someone flood's your build... your in trouble. Thats life in lava!

you would have to ask an op (with armor or invincibility) to do a /b and then warm/tempban them.

A slow down command would be impossible, but if you get flooded and admin can type /pause and stop the flood and fix it (/psponge) and the /b - /tempban

SECONDLY,if a player has massive amounts of lag of which I have experienced,there buildings or objects (homes,dams,AFK-boxes or caves might flood..An event occured today where I could barely move due to the computer I was using not letting me control the correct commands:jumping,moving and talking-which was annoying;which meant that my house was close to flooding.
Lag happens.

Prehaps smaller maps may help with less volume of active hot lava in action?

THIRDLY there is the case of accidently flooding yourself..many times has this happened to me and my friends on the server and most of the times we managed to save them,but if it was a massive house-bearing in mind that trusteds do not get free sponges,they have to buy..its nothing compared to ops;free sponges,invincibility...the point I am making is that if a building like a parkour-dome,
or a home,like this tall one I made, had a single hole it would probably flood due to the fact that maybe no op+'s were on the server (just saying.)
you flood your own home? tough you die!
what is this freebuild?

------------

Its clear what I want from lava and what this user wants is different.
I think this will be the outcome of the thread, you have a userbase or regulars who like it, so let it be.

Reaction score
1. Some maps like long_lava_valley or half pipe require longer time to flood, however there are inconsistencies for some map where the rounds are long but the map has already flooded for the past 10 minutes. So this point, I have to agree and disagree. The prize of the store is just right or some of them might find it expensive, no point making it more expensive. The 6 minute build and 6 minute lava flood is...a bad idea. Players can get cookies too fast that way.
for shorter rounds.......
- the larger maps would have to be made smaller to let the lava flood.
- If rounds are shorter, player can get 'cookies' faster...
- so you have to increase the price in the store to match!

Reaction score
Just keep an open mind, and think of the perspectives of the staff and of other players around you. I mean, our servers are like a convention. We try our best to compensate to make everyone happy, but we just can't stretch far enough to cover everything.
Having read a few replies, the lava players here seems to play a slower paced game to what I am used too, and they like it.

The community here is incredible. For example I would expect a thread like this to have a reply of
NO , your idea's are bad. get lost.
THREAD LOCKED

I will try and find somewhere to play minecraft here, I'l go try zombie.

Sploorky

Reaction score
I must say, I do like how you present your ideas.

What's important is a balance between the two ideas. Currently, all our rounds are 25 minutes long. I think that works well. I think your ideas of faster times, faster paces, could also work well. However, we have people who do like our round times, and do like more time to build, create, and play within rounds. Should we abandon one group for the other? Of course not. Having a twenty five minute round seems reasonable for both groups. Maybe it will be adjusted in the future, who knows.

Concerning maps...Ninety percent of our maps flood on time on the default speed(raccoon), if people don't dam the lava. For the other ten percent, I would rather make modifications to the maps then force smaller maps on anybody. And if people do make dams to prevent the lava from flooding the map, then the staff of the server will deal with it. (PS, we do have a completely flat map, it's called grassy_fields. We also have a map called graveyard which is almost completely flat. While I like when these maps show up because it lends itself to a more build oriented round, I think having some terrain maps and just a few 'premade building' maps are fun for the gameplay as well!)

Also, I don't think having the default lava speed upped a bit is going to completely destroy the server with lag.

Finally, I'm really glad you're liking the look of the community. Even if the lava server doesn't do it for you, I truthfully hope you want to stick around ^_^

(PS, try to avoid posting messages four times in a row! While I understand you're using each post to reply to a different person, double/triple/etc posting isn't allowed on the forums =P. If you need to add anything extra to your message, you can use the 'Edit' button under your post.)

• Winner

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
Having read a few replies, the lava players here seems to play a slower paced game to what I am used too, and they like it.

The community here is incredible. For example I would expect a thread like this to have a reply of
NO , your idea's are bad. get lost.
THREAD LOCKED

I will try and find somewhere to play minecraft here, I'l go try zombie.
If only you had shown up earlier, perhaps a year ago. That was when I used to be a lava Op, and I always loved staffing because the server was always full and bustling with life.
Blocktopia is run very... 'uptight' kind of. Most of our players are very understanding and intelligent, so express your ideas freely! Have fun! Don't get banned! and remember

If anyone gets this reference ^^^ you have all my internets.

Reactions: JKangaroo