Declined Robo's new map

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robo

Sup
Reaction score
Map Name: Color Blast? (any suggestions are welcome lol (seriously))
Map Authors: Robo
Game Type: Free for all
Map Worldborder: 100x100
Download: I can't download the schematic, but the warp is "RoboPvp", and the schematic name is "RoboColor"
Game Time: day I suppose
Screenshots: http://imgur.com/743GhvX

Game Type: FFA
Preparation time: 1 minute or 1:30 mins
Round Time: 7 mins
Spawn Locations:
Kits (any suggestions seriously welcome):
Kit 1: Stone sword, 2 speed 2 potions, leather armor. Kit 2: 3 Wolf eggs and 30 bones, stone sword, leather armor. Enchanted bow/arrows (power 2 (or more)), wood sword (sharpness 2), leather armor.
(TDM) Teams:

[Optional] Fall damage: N
[Optional]
Can drown: Y
[Optional]
Lives: 4

(Note: Many of the config options are per team for TDM. For example, different teams can have different spawn locations, kits, and the ability to take fall damage)

[Optional] Jump pads: All jump pads are marked in diamond blocks. They should all have jump boost 10, and last 1 second. This is all done in repeater command blocks built in the map repeating a testfor command testing if the player is standing on the diamond or not.

[Optional] Notes: Emerald blocks give speed boost 20 for 1 second. Again done with repeater command blocks included in the map. (Cmd block 1: 178 84 -1889, Cmd block 2: 132 83 -1909)

Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

Comp

AoD Dev and Admin!
Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
Hi robo, thanks for the submission
Before we go any further can edit your post to use the FFA Format? You haven't specified kits, lives or game time. Thanks!

Last edited:
G

Guest35486

Hi Robo, thanks for the submission!

Submission format:
Preparation time:1 minute or 1:30 mins
Round Time:7 mins
The preparation time seems rather long. For reference, the other FFA/TDM maps have preparation times of around 10-30 seconds.
Spawn Locations:
Specifying spawn locations will help staff decide on the map, especially if there are locations that may seem harder to reach when players spawn elsewhere.
Kits (any suggestions seriously welcome):
Kit 1: Stone sword, 2 speed 2 potions, leather armor. Kit 2: 3 Wolf eggs and 30 bones, stone sword, leather armor. Enchanted bow/arrows (power 2 (or more)), wood sword (sharpness 2), leather armor.
I'm not sure if you know this, but if you would like to give the first kit Swiftness, you may specify it as a potion effect and players with that kit will spawn with it. The third kit seems a bit too powerful with a Power II bow and Sharp II wood sword, as well as the same armor as the other kits. I would suggest giving the first two kits stronger armor or reducing/removing the enchantments on the weapons for the third kit.
[Optional]Jump pads: All jump pads are marked in diamond blocks. They should all have jump boost 10, and last 1 second. This is all done in repeater command blocks built in the map repeating a testfor command testing if the player is standing on the diamond or not.

[Optional]Notes:Emerald blocks give speed boost 20 for 1 second. Again done with repeater command blocks included in the map. (Cmd block 1: 178 84 -1889, Cmd block 2: 132 83 -1909)
AoD already has similar features with end portal blocks (jump pads) and packed ice. I would avoid using different blocks since it may confuse newer players.

The Map:
My main concern is the style the map was built in. It doesn't seem to fit the FFA game mode. Many parts of the map seem rather confusing and may prevent players from fighting each other, especially since parts of the map are hard to navigate. I understand that while you did make this map for PvP, it was built for another server. In my experience, intent is very important when building a map.

In addition, I found a few spots on the map that utilize packed ice but don't seem to take into account its effect.

Right now, I'm going with a -1

Unusual_Dood

Reaction score
Hi Robo, thanks for the submission!

There are a few concerns I have about this map.

The first one, is that I find very many obstacles and lava/water pools all over the map. I find very few places where there are space enough to naturally fight on for several people, and it seems really hard to escape/run if you are being chasen. You haven't told us your spawn locations so please do, but I'm assuming the quartz box in the middle with bedrock is a spawn. I felt kinda blocked in at this location as the routes away was cramped, while others requiered parkour or was dead ends.

The other one, is how people easily can camp or hide in areas which are hard to reach or find. Especially the archer kit could be a pain, as it could keep shooting down people who's trying to reach him. That could in some circumstances make it impossible for to get the the player hiding, and make it boring for the other players. It could also easily drag out the round much longer than neseccary.

My third concern is that you have added quite a lot of water, lava and soulsand around which I think will be annoying. I believe it would be better to remove most of this as people easily can fall and die into lava, or get annoyed over the slow movements in the water and soulsand which also will make you a very easy target, for other players.

Now for the kits I believe the kit with sharp II wood sword and power II bow is way too strong. If I am not mistaken, a power II bow should kill people with leather on 2 or 3 shots, which I think would be quite problematic. A normal bow will be very powerful itself with the current layour, and I think you therefore suggest that you should just remove the power from the bow while also giving the kit a worse sword or the other kits better armour.

Currently, it is a -1 from me.

Last edited:

Comp

AoD Dev and Admin!
Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
Thanks for submitting the map Robo.
As staff have pointed out above, there are many problems with the map as it stands, however I feel that they are all linked to the fact that you didn't specifically design the map with FFA in mind. Although that may not always be an issue, in this case I don't think its really possible to redesign the map as it currently is to fit FFA.
Thanks for the interest, however I think next time designing it specifically for AoD would be a big help - consider adding things like jump pads, multiple spawn points, and having open space for people to fight in.
-Declined

Status
Not open for further replies.