New Minecraft Address

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

As part of the overhaul we've purchased new dedicated server(s) for a variety of reasons - But namely to save money. The donations cap should soon be dropping to reflect this decreased amount.

As part of this process, we're moving all Minecraft servers & teamspeak servers to their new home and address at -

lobby.EscapeRestart.com
Please note as part of this process a number of changes are taking place, Including
  • All Minecraft servers on the new server are now running the latest version of Minecraft (You WILL need to update your Minecraft.jar to the latest version to play them)
  • Staff ranks are now as follows - Server Admin ~ Controller ~ Moderator (Trusted & Vetop no longer exist).
  • Whilst the current lobby map is being used - this is only temporary. We hope to release a new lobby more fit for the change in structure sometime shortly after moving all servers across.
  • Currently we're migrating servers one by one - so only rituals of fire and A&T is open. Other servers that we opted to keep will soon follow.

FAQ
Q: Why were the ranks renamed?
A: For simplicity, Admin & Moderator are universal names used in almost all games. Getting a standard staff name across the board made things simpler than having different staff names for each server. Simpler for us and simpler for players.

Q: Why were vetop & trusted removed?
A: We felt the roles had no concrete definition, What they did or were seemed to range server to server - In the interest of avoiding rank saturation, we feel it's best to remove a rank if we cannot give it a uniform concrete definition of responsibilities.

Q: I think servers should have a custom array of ranks to support themselves
A: Whilst we understand the logic behind this opinion, you have to understand that if we had - for example - 8 game servers, and all decided to use a different rank structure - we could easily end up with close to thirty/fifty different ranks. Which would serve only to confuse new players. It is our opinion that having a uniform rank structure helps to identify staff.

Q: Will other gameservers have these ranks?
A: Yes, with the exception of controller. It was felt by many server admins for minecraft that the controller rank was still an essential rank, however this rank will be phased out in new games so that it is for the time being ~ simply Server Administrators & Moderators.

Q: Will you ever consider expanding out ranks?
A: Perhaps, but we would want to see a definite need for it before we considered the creation of a new rank. Past experience has shown it's all too easy to end up with several staff ranks and no concrete definition for their responsibilities. Delegation of responsibility should be a necessity, and not taken lightly.

Q: Have any new servers been confirmed?
A: No, But i expect plans for new servers might be confirmed later today.

Last edited:

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Are you actually serious?
Why the hostility? It's a fair question.
Yes? All the operator ranks are now moderator, I curious if that'll be for all servers or just RoF.
It will be for all servers - as part of the overhaul, we're trying to streamline the staff structure for a variety of reasons.
i doubt updating post-namechange would link the accounts to whatever was stored on the old name. correct me if i'm wrong
Sorry but I'm not understanding - what do you mean by this?

myusername22

A username.
Donor
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
To either superstein or Malcovent

I was wondering if we could hear at least part of the reason most of the ranks were renamed to Moderator? I assume the difference from "operator" to "moderator" is to avoid confusion, considering the second seems to be more a more precise description of the role in most (though, not all) cases. However, I feel that removing the trusted and vetop ranks entirely seems a bit odd and I'd like to hear the reasoning to this, since I have slightly mixed feeling on this, as I'm sure many others do.

Also would the server admin be able to opt to have more ranks? The policy seems odd for a multigaming community which, depending on gamemode, might need to be more flexible and adaptive in structure in order to succeed in many areas. I'm also wondering, what if we come across a game where we need the permission differences?

Nillbugwtw

Zombier than thou.
Community Admin
Donor
Reaction score
Also would the server admin be able to opt to have more ranks? The policy seems odd for a multigaming community which, depending on gamemode, might need to be more flexible and adaptive in structure in order to succeed in many areas. I'm also wondering, what if we come across a game where we need the permission differences?
I can at least partially field this question, as a server admin with those ranks and then some. Obviously, the need for standardized ranks throughout the community is important - Buildbox doesn't have a trusted or vetop rank, whereas RoF did, and A&T... does? Maybe? Point is, unstandardized ranks only create unnecessary confusion when it comes to dealing with ranks. Trusteds can be merged into Ops on trial, VetOp has always been a reward rank for excellent ops, something else that isn't needed.

Do note, though, that this is just the rank structure for staff ranks: RoF still has its array of nonstaff ranks (player, crafter, etc), and Build will have its array of building ranks as well (builder, advbuilder... more? ;)). Keeping with that train of thought, as Directors we can, and are, adding more non-staff ranks in order to best fit the needs of our server. This new rank structure is only applicable for staff ranks, something that I think most if not all of the Directors agree standardization of such ranks is beneficial to the community.

Reactions: Oak Milk and Notme