Request for new commands: /req and /forums

Chillingworth

Ex-Zombie VetOp | Ex-AoD Op
Reaction score
Hey all! Just a minor idea: the proposition of an addition of commands /req (or requirements) and /forums.

/req (or /reqs or /requirements) - Shows the requirements to become a trusted member. Usually, we have to PM the person with the Trusted requirement variable, and the chat might go by a bit too fast for them to fully read it. This way, they could read it as many times as they'd like. How? Just use the variable chat and integrate it with the /req command. It would only show to the player that typed it, like /me or /whois.

/forums - like /req, /forums would show the variable that Ops usually have to type into chat to display the forum URL. This is less neccesary than /reqs, but a lot of people ask what the forum URL is, so I figured it would be helpful.

What do you guys think?

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
Moderately useless imput: When I first read /req or /reqs I melded it with REQUEST ((as in you're requesting to be Trusted)) instead of REQUIREMENTS. For me it'd either have to be the full command /requirements or another variation as in /trusted or such.

Preemptive-reply-for-those-who-don't-believe-in-variables: This is a player willingly putting in the command wishing to receive the variable.

Edit: Isn't this a suggestion?

• Agree
Reactions: Chillingworth

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
Okay I find the /requirements command sorta pointless or really just not needed. When I was staffing here I would always prefer it if people would actually explain the requirements in person not by using the variable. I think that with the way I used then the people I talked to would understand the requirements more fully than if the "quick and easy way" was used.

Reactions: Sploorky

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
Okay I find the /requirements command sorta pointless or really just not needed. When I was staffing here I would always prefer it if people would actually explain the requirements in person not by using the variable. I think that with the way I used then the people I talked to would understand the requirements more fully than if the "quick and easy way" was used.
I agree. I also feel some people need their own personal help with understanding this stuff. We are all quite familiar with it but I recall when I wanted to become a trust I had never applied online for something like it. I hadn't ever been on a forums site either. Taking that extra time to explain can be a pain but its better than using a command. That feels like you are trying to brush their question off more than answer it fully.

• Agree
Reactions: Mach9824

James81818

Dat Lsmp Op
Reaction score
I personally feel that it is quite a good idea.
I can see what you are saying about how it may not answer their question fully, or may seem like its brushing their question aside.
However if no ops are on at the time, it means players can still look at the requirements, and like Chill said, check back on them a few times.
Chat moves pretty fast on zombie, and also, quite often if someone asks about the requirements for trusted, there are about 3 or 4 people replying. At times, a command with clear requirements may be easier.
Also, you say you would like it explained to you by someone, instead of using a command, however if players have any difficulty, I am sure they would ask the zombie ops to explain the requirements in more detail.
Blocktopia is known for having friendly staff, so I'm sure players would be happy enough to ask if confused.
Also, players will still ask for the reqs in chat, so that could be a for an op to say something like, "You can use the command /requirements to check. Feel free to ask if your still confused!"
That way they have the command to refer back to, but can get clarification if they want.
Sorry, I babbled quite a bit there, but just my 2 cents on it!

• Agree
Reactions: Chillingworth

Conor

Reaction score
Website
cipbot.webs.com
You could make a command that would read the information about the requirements from a file. If they just used /req [nothing], you could return the trusted requirements as default.

Code:
using System;
using System.IO;

namespace MCZombie
{
    public class CmdRequirements : Command
    {

public override string name { get { return "requirements"; } }
        public override string shortcut { get { return "req"; } }
        public override string type { get { return "information"; } }
        public override bool museumUsable { get { return true; } }
        public override LevelPermission defaultRank { get { return LevelPermission.Guest; } }
        public CmdRequirements() { }

public override void Help(Player p)
        {
            Player.SendMessage(p, "/requirements [rank] - displays the requirements for [rank].");
            Player.SendMessage(p, "/requirements - displays the requirements for the 'trusted' rank.");
        }

public override void Use(Player p, string message)
        {
            if (message.Trim().IndexOf(' ') != -1) { Help(p); return; }
            if (message.Trim() == "") { message = "trusted"; }

if (!Directory.Exists("extra/requirements")) { Directory.CreateDirectory("extra/requirements"); }
            // The above would be better off in Server.cs

if (Group.Find(message) != null)
            {
                if (!File.Exists("extra/requirements/" + message.ToLower() + ".txt"))
                {
                    Player.SendMessage(p, "No information found about the rank '" + Group.Find(message).color
                    + message.ToLower() + Server.DefaultColor + "'");
                }
                else
                {
                    Player.SendMessage(p, "Information found about the rank '" + Group.Find(message).color
                    + message.ToLower() + Server.DefaultColor + "':");

foreach (string line in File.ReadAllLines("extra/requirements/" + message.ToLower() + ".txt"))
                    {
                        Player.SendMessage(p, "&6" + line);
                    }
                }
            }
            else
            {
                Player.SendMessage(p, "That rank does not exist. Use /help ranks to see all ranks.");
            }
        }
    }
}
And for the second suggested command... if you really wanted it you could send the player the $forums variable directly, when they use the command.

Code:
using System;

namespace MCZombie
{
    public class CmdForums : Command
    {
        public override string name { get { return "forums"; } }
        public override string shortcut { get { return ""; } }
        public override string type { get { return "information"; } }
        public override bool museumUsable { get { return true; } }
        public override LevelPermission defaultRank { get { return LevelPermission.Guest; } }
        public CmdForums() { }

public override void Help(Player p)
        {
              Player.SendMessage(p, "/forums - displays the URL for the community's forums.");
        }

public override void Use(Player p, string message)
        {
              Player.SendMessage(p, "The URL for the forums is: ");
              Player.SendMessage(p, "$forums");
        }
    }
}