Accepted Remove Nether Portals from Classic.

Rune

Resident Roadman | Deception Lead
Admin
Donor
AoD Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
We should make it that Nether Portals cannot be used to block up timers or dam. The problem is that it requires zero effort, all you have to do is make a nether portal because you can make them huge and then light them up creating a nether portal. No effort required, no need to build a dam block by block when you can just dam it up like that. It's lazy and quite frankly so overused that it makes Classic boring; because one person will create the nether portal and then that's done. You wouldn't even need to create a dam, and instead have this ugly purple thing blocking the lava. Secondly, it creates lag. From all of the animations that the nether portal creates, and the particles that it really impacts performance for some people. We shouldn't be encouraging this but instead banning these lazy and hideous things from Classic.

And my opinion may be disagreed on the people who say that Nether Portals allows a quick placement for a dam and therefore spending more time on building other stuff. Or that it's not OP in the slightest but overused. But the problem with this is that this really takes away from Classic. Yes, we have free reign on what blocks we can choose but it should still be a task to build a dam instead of spending 2 minutes on a nether portal dam. I don't care if you need to count how big it needs to be, because you could make it smaller for each nether portal. It's harder to actually block by block create the dam, and requires team effort.

It's time to remove the functionality for creating nether portals, because I'm tired when I try to build a dam and someone will quite simply build a nether portal dam in front of me; negating my effort. It's overused and OP, and its time to nip this in the bud because of the reasons I highlighted above. The simple solution to this is to remove the ability to create portals or make them meltable on Calm so we can still use it for creative purposes.

-Runemen4

PS: I finally put forward a good suggestion right Wim :p

kuilin

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
The current max internal size is 21x21. I propose limiting nether portals to a smaller size (2x3 is the smallest so probably that) rather than removing them entirely. They are extremely OP even considering how OP classic is, but I believe that if a map is easily dammed with nether portals (timers all on the same coordinate except for y) then it's inherently easily (brainlessly anyways) dammed otherwise anyways - difficult to dam here meaning dams require a floor as well as walls, like Bridges timers being very creative and Up timers being not well placed.

Last edited:

Velzerat

Drink up baby, stay up all night
Donor
Reaction score
Although I dislike removing nether portals, I think it's a necessary thing to do. I'd prefer to make it just melt on Calm but I'm open to open options. We'll need to figure something out to do with nether portals in Classic.

EDIT: If we could make them max 2x3 in classic, that would be ideal.

Last edited: