Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
either have the ratings tab thing show the ol' positive/neutral/negative thing and not hide them on forum profile view or have the Ratings tab renamed to Positive Ratings/have it reflect the actual sum of ratings positive and negative.

EggNog

c:
Reaction score
I don't quite see what is wrong with what we have now for ratings. Why do you need to see how many negative ratings someone has? I see no reason why it is neccesary. Frankly negative ratings in general tend to be pointless same with being able to judge people over how many they have... that may just be me though.

GoldenValley

Donor
Reaction score
I remember the community having a discussion of this sort a while back, and the results of the thread removed the negative ratings from the profile page, as it is set up currently.

http://escaperestart.com/forum/thre...the-dislike-rating-needs-to-be-removed.14545/

It used to be that everyone could see negative ratings on anyone's profile post. What happened was there were people who would see that their post was disliked, and, instead of treating it as a disagreement or disliking of the content of the post, thought of it as a personal insult to themselves. As a result, people felt harassed and bullied when they were disliked. It even led to those same people going on Dislike Rampages, where they would go on the most recent postings of the person who disliked/disagreed with them, and proceeded to mass dislike their posts. It should be noted that this didn't happen exclusively with one person going on the rampage, since there were instances where a person would get a group of friends to assist their dislike spree.

JtTorso

Reaction score
I try to be liberal but specific about the ratings I give as there have been a handful of times I've been given a dislike or disagree with no clear context, I'd prefer someone replied and explained why they disliked or disagreed with a post, but when I give them out I try to make it clear or obvious.

Also, not so sure why someone who has "I do not have rating alerts enabled." in their signature would particularly care about ratings, but ok.

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
okay but the system was not changed for the better- people still do all of those things. in fact, it's probably more prevalent as people can use the ratings as much as they like without keeping track of how many times they downvote

having inaccurate statistics fixes nothing. if rating statistics were made visible only to the person themselves, that'd solve the problem better imo
mostly i want users to be able to keep track of their own ratings received/given

perhaps make the rating statistics tab visible only to the user themselves, or add a statistics thingy to the Ratings Given and Ratings Received tabs

EDIT: after some thought, having an option to show/hide the statistics thing from public view in the settings menu would be super awesome. possibly allowing the members themselves to determine whether to show Positive, Neutral, or Negative ratings via checkbox

the default could be either "hide the tab from public view", "Only show to following," as i recall that being an option, or simply keep the current setting as default

Last edited:

Pikmon2

Reaction score
I don't quite see what is wrong with what we have now for ratings. Why do you need to see how many negative ratings someone has? I see no reason why it is neccesary. Frankly negative ratings in general tend to be pointless same with being able to judge people over how many they have... that may just be me though.
My Dislike amount was what got me to my popular status of now!!!

It's my only claim to fame

Wink

¡Juego de las Pulgas!
Reaction score
I honestly don't see what's wrong with what we have now.
having inaccurate statistics fixes nothing. if rating statistics were made visible only to the person themselves, that'd solve the problem better imo
Our current statistics are NOT inaccurate, some are just shielded from the public's eye. Inaccuracy != Censored Information. Ratings are meant to be more or less for minimal input on a user's post, and taken worth a grain of salt.

• Old
Reactions: Hunter

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Our current statistics are NOT inaccurate, some are just shielded from the public's eye. Inaccuracy != Censored Information.
did you actually read the rest of the post
(also, they kinda are- the ratings count on the side should say Positive Ratings as that's what it tallies, not the sum of postitive+negative)

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
JtTorso are you serious
i just stole that from roxaschao's sig because it looked nice and i don't have rating alerts enabled because they clutter up the menu

i really don't care about ratings and people can and will dislike me if they want. some people expect others to actually reply to a rating, which is dumb, and i personally will not make or edit a post solely because some people rated it negatively.

i know some members who dislike a post for the sole reason of getting a reply.

why are you offended, what's the issue here?
as for the post directly above mine, that could be said about literally every suggestion

• Dislike
Reactions: snowma and Ltin

Wink

¡Juego de las Pulgas!
Reaction score
JtTorso are you serious
i just stole that from roxaschao's sig because it looked nice and i don't have rating alerts enabled because they clutter up the menu

i really don't care about ratings and people can and will dislike me if they want. some people expect others to actually reply to a rating, which is dumb, and i personally will not make or edit a post solely because some people rated it negatively.

as for the post directly above mine, that could be said about literally every suggestion
If you really don't care why did you add this suggestion? If you know 'rating instigators' such as those, why don't you contact an admin instead of idly sit on your hands and watch it progress? He's not offended, he's questioning your motives with this thread. The issue could be pinned in some cases to the existence of this thread.

And about the "What does it matter", it can't be said for every fucking thread. There are some legitimate, solid discussions regarding the overhaul, generally questions from our community about murky things. This post was actually legitimate at first, and now any sane reason for both sides of this 'agrument' have been stated and laid out. 'What does it matter" is a reference to the unneeded elongation of this thread.

• Thank You
Reactions: std1997

JtTorso

Reaction score
JtTorso are you serious

as for the post directly above mine, that could be said about literally every suggestion sent in ever
You totally jumped a ton of conclusions there, I wasn't offended, just genuinely curious. I was merely asking why it matters to your original post, considering ratings clearly don't matter to you and everyone else is indifferent, so I didn't think you were speaking on behalf of anyone.

My post was regarding simply this thread up until you decided to make this post. You said you think people replying to a rating is dumb, but I'll refer to your signature, in which you literally say you'd prefer a reply instead of a rating (why the fuck would you put it into your signature for any other reason?). I'm also not particularly fond of your hypocrisy where you say you would prefer an explanation instead of a rating and yet run around disliking posts with no context or reasoning and you do it a lot. If your going to make a suggestion and then turn around and say you don't care about the set topic then don't fucking waste mine and everyone elses time. Now I'm offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.