Status
Not open for further replies.

lizthehedgehog

Orange Juice Spiller
Admin
Donor
Discord Staff
Reaction score
Here's a nice little plugin for plug.dj. Its called TastyPlug. It lets you auto woot, sends you booth alerts reminding you that its almost your turn on the stage, and also show images in chat. There's a list of more nifty features and instructions for different browsers on the website.
https://fungustime.pw/tastyplug/

This originally works on the tastycat community, but if it doesn't show up on blocktopia's community you may need to add the website. For firefox/waterfox go to tools, then look for greasemonkey. Go over to manage user scripts, then you'll see tastyplug. Go to options, and click on add, then add the link for blocktopia's community
( https://plug.dj/blocktopia-official ) and click on ok. If you're already on the site, you may need to refresh in order to see the list.

(i struggled way to much with this because of my a key that doesn't want to work)

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
Given that all of Blocktopia's servers as well as IRC and Teamspeak give special ranks to Director+, we would like to follow suit. All Blocktopia Directors will be given the rank of Manager, and all Admins will be given the rank of Co-Host. If anyone is new and has questions about how to use the site, please do not hesitate to contact me or my staff. As always, we encourage everyone to read the rules and the guide as well!

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Given that all of Blocktopia's servers as well as IRC and Teamspeak give special ranks to Director+, we would like to follow suit. All Blocktopia Directors will be given the rank of Manager, and all Admins will be given the rank of Co-Host. If anyone is new and has questions about how to use the site, please do not hesitate to contact me or my staff. As always, we encourage everyone to read the rules and the guide as well!
Question: Isn't the maximum number of co-hosts 2?

Edit: I also though the maximum number of Managers was 10, so using up most of them puts a bit of a damper on the capacity for dedicated staff

Reactions: Undefined User 7

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
Question: Isn't the maximum number of co-hosts 2?

Edit: I also though the maximum number of Managers was 10, so using up most of them puts a bit of a damper on the capacity for dedicated staff
Baker and Superstein are the 2 serving Administrators of Blocktopia and will be given the Co-Host ranks. Given that we currently have 2 Managers, that gives us room for 8 Directors to have ranks. These will effectively be first-come first-serve. Any additional Directors will be given the Bouncer rank.

Ragetastic96

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
I can't help but disagree with this setup. Your the boss, of course, but my view is this:
  • You have limited slots, which makes it impossible for actual active plug.dj staff to work their way up in the long run. True, not all directors may join, but if they'll do even once they get it, and then they may be extremely inactive.
  • This is not a minecraft server. You are essentially following the suit of "Directors - Global Controller, Admins- Admin." If that's the case, then why don't you Biblius have Global controller on all the servers since you are essentially "Director" of plug? They likely won't do that for you, so why should they get it?
Not trying to be power hungry or revolutionary, that's just my view on it. Maybe it's no big deal, but i see no point in having extra "Managers" or "Hosts" that aren't active or contributing to plug.

Last edited:

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
I can't help but disagree with this setup. Your the boss, of course, but my view is this:
  • You have limited slots, which makes it impossible for actual active plug.dj staff to work their way up in the long run. True, not all directors may join, but if they'll do even once they get it, and then they may be extremely inactive.
  • This is not a minecraft server. You are essentially following the suit of "Directors - Global Controller, Admins- Admin." If that's the case, then why don't you Biblius have Global controller on all the servers since you are essentially "Director" of plug? They likely won't do that for you, so why should they get it?
Not trying to be power hungry or revolutionary, that's just my view on it. Maybe it's no big deal, but i see no point in having extra "Managers" or "Hosts" that aren't active or contributing to plug.
It is not my intention whatsoever to ever have more than 2 Managers, and it is likewise not my intention to have any Co-Hosts for the foreseeable future. Should either of the current Managers become inactive or abusive, they shall be replaced immediately with more capable staff. I ultimately see the rank of Manager as synonymous with Controller, and therefore do not see a reason to have more than 2. These ranks are offered out of goodwill towards the leaders of the community, and I am not doing it for personal gain. The goal of Plug.Dj is to have a fun and relax, but it is still an official entity of Blocktopia, as can be recognised by its name and the fact that this thread is stickied in the Off-Topic subforum. For this reason, it is fitting that it abides by the standards and practices of other official Blocktopia entities. I do not care if I personally benefit in terms of rank. I also think it's beneficial to the community if we have the leaders of the community associating more closely with the public. It gives the people a chance to interact with server directors and admins in a purely social settings.

Aside from this, I have talked about the matter with Haysagar as well as Aothex, and we were all in agreement on the policy. Had I been aware that this was a controversial move, I would have contacted the staff altogether. My apologies to anyone this may have incensed.

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
It is not my intention whatsoever to ever have more than 2 Managers, and it is likewise not my intention to have any Co-Hosts for the foreseeable future. Should either of the current Managers become inactive or abusive, they shall be replaced immediately with more capable staff. I ultimately see the rank of Manager as synonymous with Controller, and therefore do not see a reason to have more than 2. These ranks are offered out of goodwill towards the leaders of the community, and I am not doing it for personal gain. The goal of Plug.Dj is to have a fun and relax, but it is still an official entity of Blocktopia, as can be recognised by its name and the fact that this thread is stickied in the Off-Topic subforum. For this reason, it is fitting that it abides by the standards and practices of other official Blocktopia entities. I do not care if I personally benefit in terms of rank. I also think it's beneficial to the community if we have the leaders of the community associating more closely with the public. It gives the people a chance to interact with server directors and admins in a purely social settings.

Aside from this, I have talked about the matter with Haysagar as well as Aothex, and we were all in agreement on the policy. Had I been aware that this was a controversial move, I would have contacted the staff altogether. My apologies to anyone this may have incensed.
Perhaps if you desire 2 primary higher staff, the 2 co-host slots could be utilised in lieu of the Manager rank? This would open up more tiers, and allow your two trustees to have a good amount of power, also. On the other hand, it may be altogether simpler to limit the range of ranks.

As for the global ranks, I'd have to agree with Rage that if you do indeed intend on using all Manager slots for plug staff, it may be best to not try and promote the HC+ cohort, especially if you are once again concerned with the staff list becoming cluttered by inactive participants. By all means, however, if one in particular takes a particular interest in plug, than they could be granted special privileges for the reason you have to promote all HC+'s. To put it simply, my opinions is that it would be best to leave options/positions/oppourtunities open for potential dedicated staff.

Edit: TTT, an official server, but not minecraft, does not have honorary ranks for HC+, only Baker and Super, who are essentially the Directors.

Another option if you would like to have all HC+ as staff is to put them on a Bouncer rank, which has moderating permissions, and an unlimited capacity. This means that the higher ranks can be left to dedicated staff for things like promoting to be done with greater ease, but the people are still honorary staffie thingamabobs

Last edited:

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
Perhaps if you desire 2 primary higher staff, the 2 co-host slots could be utilised in lieu of the Manager rank? This would open up more tiers, and allow your two trustees to have a good amount of power, also. On the other hand, it may be altogether simpler to limit the range of ranks.

As for the global ranks, I'd have to agree with Rage that if you do indeed intend on using all Manager slots for plug staff, it may be best to not try and promote the HC+ cohort, especially if you are once again concerned with the staff list becoming cluttered by inactive participants. By all means, however, if one in particular takes a particular interest in plug, than they could be granted special privileges for the reason you have to promote all HC+'s. To put it simply, my opinions is that it would be best to leave options/positions/oppourtunities open for potential dedicated staff.

Edit: TTT, an official server, but not minecraft, does not have honorary ranks for HC+, only Baker and Super, who are essentially the Directors.

Another option if you would like to have all HC+ as staff is to put them on a Bouncer rank, which has moderating permissions, and an unlimited capacity. This means that the higher ranks can be left to dedicated staff for things like promoting to be done with greater ease, but the people are still honorary staffie thingamabobs
This is well-articulated. Here's what I'd like to do:

Superstein and/or Baker will hold the Co-Host ranks as the Admins of Blocktopia. If one of them does not want to hold that rank, we may reserve this rank for future changes. Regarding your idea of HC's getting Bouncer and Manager if active, I like this idea. We're going to implement this policy, actually.

All Directors will be granted the rank of Bouncer in the room, and if active, Manager.

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
That's a better compromise, i suppose. I've already been told IQ and Ogar don't really care, they're rarely on there anyway. Not sure about Oak. I see him more often but more like once a week.
Oak is quite active (shared timezones \o/), and I believe he is already an official manager, rather than an honourary one.

• Informative
Reactions: Ragetastic96
D

DieLorelei

I'm sorry, but I disagree entirely...
Sure its generous to extend the offer to the directors, but it is entirely unnecessary.

Think of the roles of Bouncers and Managers, and how often their services are actually required.
Compare your proposed hierarchy to that of the actual plug.dj staff (particularly the BA's). Hundreds of people will qualify, but they will only have as many as they need to cover the time-zones.

I'd also like you to think about how plug works. The community rises higher on the lists with the more members we have in the room. Imagine someone interested in our room walking in on a Friday evening just after the meeting and being intimidated by seeing a bunch of Bouncers all over the place, and then learning that half those bouncers are actually the highest staff over here... If they do decide to join Blocktopia then their first impressions have already undermined the Director's actual authority, and makes the entire community look like we're all just one giant silly clique handing out ranks to our friends (because none of the staff would ever do that here!)

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I disagree entirely...
Sure its generous to extend the offer to the directors, but it is entirely unnecessary.

Think of the roles of Bouncers and Managers, and how often their services are actually required.
Compare your proposed hierarchy to that of the actual plug.dj staff (particularly the BA's). Hundreds of people will qualify, but they will only have as many as they need to cover the time-zones.

I'd also like you to think about how plug works. The community rises higher on the lists with the more members we have in the room. Imagine someone interested in our room walking in on a Friday evening just after the meeting and being intimidated by seeing a bunch of Bouncers all over the place, and then learning that half those bouncers are actually the highest staff over here... If they do decide to join Blocktopia then their first impressions have already undermined the Director's actual authority, and makes the entire community look like we're all just one giant silly clique handing out ranks to our friends (because none of the staff would ever do that here!)
While perhaps people will be a little intimidated by the higher staff being so close by, I don't think it's detrimental to have people view the leaders of the community as people that can be talked to and associated with in a relaxing setting. I think that if people are afraid of or intimidated by admins, that's a problem. Regardless of the rank they hold in the room, active Directors are still going to be seen by people new to the community via plug. (Especially since most Directors already in the room have the same name as in Minecraft.) This is also an excellent way to inadvertently advertise for our own Minecraft and Gmod servers. Perhaps they'll meet a Director from one of the servers and become interested, and subsequently involved within the community. Another goal of this is to serve as an incentive for leaders to get more directly involved with the community via Plug, and I believe there will be many potential advantages to this.

While it is important that we're taken somewhat seriously, I do not want the Plug.DJ room to be taken seriously to the point where it's no longer fun. In fact, I feel that rooms with heavier moderation tend to be more enjoyable experiences as they have fewer trolls and other negative influences. The only risk is staff arbitrarily enforcing their own rules and skipping people, which would be abuse. (It should go without saying, any Director found to be abusing their powers significantly within the room will face consequences, but I doubt that will be a problem.)

There will always be room for the actual Plug.DJ staff, and believe me when I say that none of our current staff attained their ranks via bias or other favouritism. All of our current staff were selected based on their activity, their social skills, and their experience working with people. And should any staff fail in these regards continually, myself included, they will be replaced. DieLorelei, you yourself are more than welcome to apply as well. You seem to have really thought your opinion through in this matter, and I appreciate your feedback.

• Informative

Ragetastic96

Masterful
Donor
Reaction score
I'm still not entirely sold on giving them ranks, but If we must I'm not against giving them Bouncer. Put them on the same level as the rest of us active staff. Manager, to me, seems like something that should be given to those that have been with plug for a while. Such as Haysagar and Zel have. Biblius is definitely right about how we don't want to be too serious about the hierarchy of plug. I for one don't want quarrels about ranks (on a service where ranks don't mean much, anyway) to get in the way of the music. Still, I definitely appreciate the support I've gotten from DieLorelei and Jivvi, though. Input from regular users of plug is always welcome.

• Agree
Reactions: Undefined User 7

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score
Just a very quick chiming in:

It's always been policy that if something carries the Blocktopia 'Brand' name and is 'official', it has to be hosted by us - in the case of game servers. In the case it's something external which we cannot host ourselves, at least one person (either Admin or Asshat, essentially the highest up level) needs a 'full access' in order to be able to intervene for any unforseen circumstances. So as long as one of Baker, super, Malco or I have a way to 'manage' the plug.dj room, we don't give a rats arse about what you do with all the other ranks there, the directors and such - fully up to you.

(So just to be clear: We don't need that access to control anything or have power, it's a safety measure we have as condition to have something being an official outlet of the community. And sorry, only skimmed the thread, if this was already adressed, my bad)

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
Just a very quick chiming in:

It's always been policy that if something carries the Blocktopia 'Brand' name and is 'official', it has to be hosted by us - in the case of game servers. In the case it's something external which we cannot host ourselves, at least one person (either Admin or Asshat, essentially the highest up level) needs a 'full access' in order to be able to intervene for any unforseen circumstances. So as long as one of Baker, super, Malco or I have a way to 'manage' the plug.dj room, we don't give a rats arse about what you do with all the other ranks there, the directors and such - fully up to you.

(So just to be clear: We don't need that access to control anything or have power, it's a safety measure we have as condition to have something being an official outlet of the community. And sorry, only skimmed the thread, if this was already adressed, my bad)
This was another reason I put this policy in effect, and made Superstein a Co-Host last night.

D

DieLorelei

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that having Directors as staff is a bad thing and those with a strong interest in it, as others have said, is totally okay. I just think its unnecessary and could possibly be detrimental in the presence of new members. The thing is, a lot of what you mentioned regarding the Directors is just as easily achieved without the position of any plug.dj ranks.

"I don't think it's detrimental to have people view the leaders of the community as people that can be talked to and associated with in a relaxing setting."..."Another goal of this is to serve as an incentive for leaders to get more directly involved with the community via Plug, and I believe there will be many potential advantages to this."

Getting a rank shouldn't have to be an incentive for the leaders to want to get involved in the community, and having a rank or not shouldn't effect the level of comfortability others have to talk to them outside of the community. I don't believe having Directors holding ranks on plug is directly detrimental , but when we have all of them in the room after a meeting or something and the room is filled with a majority of people holding the ranks, it sounds and looks silly.

As far as using the room as an opportunity to advertise our servers, well that should be everyone's goal, not just the directors.

Ultimately, it is your decision. I just don't see the point of it I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.