Quake 3 Arena - Hell's Gate (Free For All)

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
Type of Map:
Player vs. Player - Free For All / Duel

Amount of Players:
2 ~ 4 Players (The game is meant for One v. One, but Pg5 stated it could be possible for a 4 player match, such as 4-Player Free-For-All.)

Allowed/Disallowed Blocks:
Disallow all blocks, allow no blocks.

Link to the Map:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/quake-3-arena---hells-gate/

Why do you think this map will make a good addition?
The map looks quite fun, as well as a great use of dispensers and pistons. The map is quite small, and the map is made for you to run around in. This could also be a small map that you only need one friend to play on, or 2 ~ 3 others, possibly.

Has this map been tested thoroughly? (Proof if possible!)

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Will rate the map when I get home, but I've been playing QUAKE for quite a few years now :3

Jolterino

'_>'
Mafia Host
Reaction score
What this map does well:
It looks well-built, the fact that only 2 players are needed to play is even better. We don't have a lot of PvP maps that require a low number of players. The gameplay looks excellent, I am dying to play this map.
What this map doesn't do so well:
As GmK stated, I'm not sure how it blocks spawn-killing/camping. We can edit anti-spawncamping stuff in though.
Should this map be accepted?
Yes

Extra Comments:
Nope.

K1ngHoward

SMP Vetop
Donor
Reaction score
Website
myanimelist.net
What this map does well:
  • From the videos i have watched on the original Quake 3 games this does represent a fast playing full out brawl battle.
  • The item are timed to spawn a set amount of time and makes sure the items dropped are only temporary,
    • ie the items can only withstand a few shots before breaking
      • (to not allow the winners to tank with their armor and weapons for the rest of the round.)
  • Now the spawn is a place with many beds and there are two exits from spawn each dropping the player into a lower pit that requires them to get out through the pistons.
  • It is really good size and 4 players would be max that this map can hold because it is too small and (just like the real game) wants players to sprint around incredibly fast.
  • Before you leave the spawn area you are given a splash pot of running and a kit
    • Kit consists of: wooden sword, leather boots projectile protection 2, swiftness potion speed 2, 1 arrow, and an undamaged infinity bow.
  • The rewards are scattered about the map dropping at random times after stepping on the pressure plate around the drop area
    • drops include: broken gold chestplate, broken gold pants, broken bow infinity/punch 2, broken bow infinity/power 1, apple, golden apple
  • Though the pistons are added because the real game has those i find the pistons hard to jump onto to get out of some pits and require some skill.
    • It took me about 7 tries to get out of one pit because i found the pistons did not last long enough for me to jump up onto them and out.
Yes

Extra Comments:
I wonder how the map counters spawncamping?
There are four different tunnels that lead to the four corners of the map from spawn and you drop down into the map from there. Also there is a fence in between the two drop down points that i found you could squeeze through to get into the map which i think was added on purpose.

Needs: Don't allow people to build, don't allow people to break, monsters seem to spawn in the map which could destroy some of the redstone which happened to my map >.>

• Informative
Reactions: Duffie and Araidian

Malacath

God of Orcs & Destruction
Reaction score
What this map does well:
This is an interesting map. We don't have such a PvP map as far as I know and I'm 100% sure our players will love this.

The kits are good, not too strong, quite weak actually. But that's ok.
Random drops are good aswell, noone can get overpowered, it will be a fair fight the whole time. I love that!

As everyone else stated. Spawnkilling.
Give it a try!
Extra Comments:
Spawnkilling isn't really a 'problem'. We have to make sure there's a ref around to supervise and everyone should be ok.

Dragosh

Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
blocktopia.net
What this map does well:
I think it would be a great way to pass the time for 10-20 minutes with a friend. You can spend your time doing park our stuff, or just hunting down your opponent. The random items are also a good addition.
I don't really think spawn killing would be a issue if we were to make separate spawns with beds, so there's nothing I think this map doesn't do well.
Yes

Extra Comments:
None.

K1ngHoward

SMP Vetop
Donor
Reaction score
Website
myanimelist.net
The arena is separate from the actual area you spawn in though. you spawn in the area with beds pass through some pressure plates, equip gear, and drop into the arena. I don't see how spawn killing could come from that.

• Informative
Reactions: Duffie

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
The arena is separate from the actual area you spawn in though. you spawn in the area with beds pass through some pressure plates, equip gear, and drop into the arena. I don't see how spawn killing could come from that.
And since that was the main "problem" of the map, it's basically an overall great map? :p

SalientGorilla

The Brutal Create Dictator
Reaction score
What this map does well:
It's a pvp map, everyone loves a bit of pvp. It should be a good catch on.

Anti spawn. But we can soon make that a rule to leave the spawn as soon as possible.

Yes

Extra comments:
We need more maps like this. This is what people want to do.