Prizyms' 2018 Mafia Game: Mechanics

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Hi all,

The results of my poll suggest that a small majority of you wish to see an experimental setup. After some consideration, I decided on a political hybrid game featuring a few special mechanics unseen in any forum mafia game to date. The goal of this setup is to provide a uniquely engaging experience, make Day 0 crucial for how the game plays out, remove unneeded confusion, and split the responsibilities of the cop role. In broad terms, the following is what I have decided on:
  • Completely open setup, for the sake of good gameplay. I feel a closed setup combined with the following points would result in an un-fun experience for everybody involved.
  • No individual cop role. This is replaced by something which I believe is much more fun...
  • Democratically-elected council combined with the cop mechanic. On Day 0, all players will receive their roles and write a manifesto for election to the council. The exact size of the council will vary based on the number of players alive. The (initially) democratically-elected party will, together, have a night talk and the ability to utilise the Subpoena every night - this game's equivalent of the cop check, which is combined with a night talk for that member, allowing for actual interrogation to take place during the night phase. The fun begins if the Mafia holds a majority of seats and can start to twist the results of the party's night investigations, and frame other members of the party in the progress as not working in the people's best interests. Infighting amongst the party may reach a point where the council may internally vote for dictatorship instead - more details to follow.
  • Anyone can be killed, but only elected representatives can be lynched. Each day, the citizens can bring matters into their own hands by way of violent impeachment. This makes lynches take more thought - who will the citizens vote to replace the one whose blood is now on their hands? In addition, if dictatorship is triggered, the dictator can overturn a vote at all times, unless they are the one with the majority vote on them - they can be overthrown by an insurrection by the people to reinstate democracy, but at what cost?
If this does not interest you, please tell me why. I have a more traditional backup setup in the works as well. Feel free to leave any feedback you like.