[POLL] Looting Rules

Which approach to looting do you prefer? (See post for expl.)

• Total voters

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
I shouldn't have to enter my safe the same way raiders do, what's the point of having a safe when you can't access it with ease?
Honestly, sounds like you need some sort of hidden secondary passage, but simply bringing it up ruins its purpose, so... Whoops.

But yeah, if anything, make it a mechanism that's easy for you, but hard for everyone else!

Here are some general ideas you or anyone else could use:

1. Make it a long and convoluted maze, but write down the directions on a piece of paper, in real life.

2. Have a set of puzzle rooms, or simply one with a tough puzzle... And since you already know the answer, you should pass it with ease.

3. Have a combination lock available, but write down the passcode. If anything, make a hidden way to shorten the passcode, rather than straight up open the door.

4. Make a parkour puzzle where the goal is actually at the bottom of a trap. If you have a good supply of ender pearls, don't even make the bottom safe!

5. Have an easy side entrance. Sure, it'll always be open or easily accessible, but if you hide it well enough, it should work well enough!

... And once again, mentioning these hurts their value, but they're just on-the-spot general ideas you can use or base your own ideas upon.

You can still have super difficult locks with legal shortcuts. :p

I personally haven't mentioned a specific type of lock I plan on using with absolutely wonderful legal shortcuts. <3

Last edited:

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Honestly, sounds like you need some sort of hidden secondary passage, but simply bringing it up ruins its purpose, so... Whoops.

But yeah, if anything, make it a mechanism that's easy for you, but hard for everyone else!

Here are some general ideas you or anyone else could use:

1. Make it a long and convoluted maze, but write down the directions on a piece of paper, in real life.

2. Have a set of puzzle rooms, or simply one with a tough puzzle... And since you already know the answer, you should pass it with ease.

3. Have a combination lock available, but write down the passcode. If anything, make a hidden way to shorten the passcode, rather than straight up open the door.

4. Make a parkour puzzle where the goal is actually at the bottom of a trap. If you have a good supply of ender pearls, don't even make the bottom safe!

5. Have an easy side entrance. Sure, it'll always be open or easily accessible, but if you hide it well enough, it should work well enough!

... And once again, mentioning these hurts their value, but they're just on-the-spot general ideas you can use or base your own ideas upon.

You can still have super difficult locks with legal shortcuts. :p

I personally haven't mentioned a specific type of lock I plan on using with absolutely wonderful legal shortcuts. <3
I just thought of something that we seem to forget but it is really simple.. if this is the case then why don't we just put our chests in our houses then make a legal way in, thus meaning we can access our chests because they are in our houses?

• Agree
Reactions: Duffie

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
From personal experience, the full enderchest covers all of the "important" basics (a stack of iron, diamonds, gold, coal, redstone, etc) plus all the fringe needs (a stack of grass blocks, sponges, etc) as well has a handful of nice enchanted gear. 9 Slots will be very slim, but sounds about right for making people make difficult decisions.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
this is actually a valid point
perhaps ore blocks should be an exception to the no-grief rule so people have to actually protect those as well instead of just being lazy and filling up a silo with 'em, defeating the entire point of looting
Hmm... There are plenty of loopholes around this, though, for both sides of the argument.

On one hand, you have people that place their ore blocks and material blocks as decoration, prettying up their house within grief-free boundaries.

On the other hand, you have people who either do the same thing, or have vaults full of the same blocks, simply to store their blocks within the grief-free rules.

Allowing people the ability to gather all ore and/or material blocks is probably not the best solution to this issue...

cheatyface

Developer
Developer
Contributor
Reaction score
You can always place ore blocks ;^)

Edit: Same with mined/smelted blocks too, not just ores.
I'm well aware, my vault on kami was filled with ore blocks. I do also play on other servers where grief is kind of allowed though, and loose diamonds that aren't enough to make a block are still important.

Also, if you place your blocks then disappear for 2 months, that decay tho.