[Poll/Discussion] Are classes something you wish to see in the smp?

Are classes something you wish to see in the smp?

• Yes

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
So, as many of us aware the smp is coming out in 1 week. Today we tested the new pvp system/classes. There are many mixed opinions about this. Overall many of the complaints were there are 8+ different classes each have one restricted type of weapon (You pick a bow class you dont deal damage with a sword). The class system is similar to a moba where you have 4 abilities and a passive that goes on cooldown. The types of classes are similar to the last smp so if you enjoyed the classes for the last smp you should vote yes on the poll. The main question is would people enjoy vanilla pvp or the new class system better? Lets have a civil discussion here. If you have any question feel free to ask them here so jolt or a tester can answer them.

Jolterino

'_>'
Mafia Host
Reaction score
A lot of SMP was developed based on a feedback poll we had a bit over a year back, here are the results for the classes question.

Having said that, the testing we had tonight was immensely helpful. Hearing of the opinions of many different kinds of people who all enjoyed PvPing in the past was important and I think a lot of people did enjoy the new system despite all its current flaws. I'm going to let Archers use swords, albeit with reduced damage to satisfy some of the feedback I received. All the bugs we found, which surprisingly wasn't that much, will be fixed. Additionally, we will see nerfs across the board to mages, specifically their cooldowns and buffs to archers so they match the performance of mages. I'd like everyone to keep in mind that this new system is much more flexible than the one Primordia had and that I am willing to make big changes to appease the player base of the server.

Last edited:

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
15 people are strongly against it and 10 people strongly for it. Don't get me wrong it is not a bad system but the way it is this time around is long cooldowns in fights where people are just waiting around for the cooldown to comeback up. The 4 abilities/passive like league is going to allow one of the issues we had last time which is meta. We had mage meta for most of the last smp. There are 10+ options in the skills that people can experiment with and change with leveling. Yes most of us are aware that work went into the plugin however in the current state it needs to feel less restricted to cooldowns/class type. The attribute system would be rewarding and easier to balance around vanilla pvp. If not reducing the amount of abilities or classes might also be a option. The other major complaint is sitting in a dark room leveling your class for hours isn't very fun. I won't say much more other than that unless someone has a question for me. I want to hear what other people think about this. Mainly people that played the classes today and people that played the classes in the last smp what their thoughts of what could be better.

Jolterino

'_>'
Mafia Host
Reaction score
15 people are strongly against it and 10 people strongly for it. Don't get me wrong it is not a bad system but the way it is this time around is long cooldowns in fights where people are just waiting around for the cooldown to comeback up. The 4 abilities/passive like league is going to allow one of the issues we had last time which is meta. We had mage meta for most of the last smp. There are 10+ options in the skills that people can experiment with and change with leveling. Yes most of us are aware that work went into the plugin however in the current state it needs to feel less restricted to cooldowns/class type. The attribute system would be rewarding and easier to balance around vanilla pvp. If not reducing the amount of abilities or classes might also be a option. The other major complaint is sitting in a dark room leveling your class for hours isn't very fun. I won't say much more other than that unless someone has a question for me. I want to hear what other people think about this. Mainly people that played the classes today and people that played the classes in the last smp what their thoughts of what could be better.
It is true that more people rated it a 1 over 5 but there are also 9 more 4s than 2s.

The Mage meta last SMP was due to the fact that magic ignored armour (not the case anymore) and that most other skills were so broken that mages were really the only thing that worked. Also, dark rooms won't even exist in the SMP and the main way of levelling will be through questing, dungeons and farming mobs in specific zones. One thing that I haven't mentioned at all is that the XP curve will be reduced every week past release, making it easier for newer players to level faster.

I appreciate the feedback nonetheless and I welcome others to comment and give their opinion.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to let Jolt deal with this, since this is all his section, however there is one thing I'd like to adress that was very important to me from the start:

All classes should have access to all mc items, no restrictions on being able to use a bow, a sword, diamond armor, or a diamond pickaxe. Damage can be altered between classes, but I was never a fan of being unable to use some items myself.

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
I'm going to let Jolt deal with this, since this is all his section, however there is one thing I'd like to adress that was very important to me from the start:

All classes should have access to all mc items, no restrictions on being able to use a bow, a sword, diamond armor, or a diamond pickaxe. Damage can be altered between classes, but I was never a fan of being unable to use some items myself.
Does armor reduce all types of damage?