Pokémon Sun and Moon

what starter y'all picking!

• Total voters

Mooglie

The Local Cow
Reaction score
wow guess who's back at it again with the new p o k e m o n t h r e a d

sun & moon is the seventh generation in the series and is in the alola region (basically hawaii)
unlike previous six generations the new games change the core mechanics of gyms as the player has to beat the island challenge trial (defeating a 'totem' pokemon which summons the same species of pokemon as it to battle the trainer) and the grand trial ('leader' of the island, so essentially a gym)

much like mega evolution introduced in generation 6, there is a new feature in battle called z-moves. the player wears a z-ring and a pokemon holds a z-crystal. moves of a certain type are transformed into the z-move (e.g. if the pokemon is holding a grass z-crystal and knows a grass move, that move will transform into the grass z-move, bloom doom). they deal a lot of damage and have rly fancy animation but can only be used once per match. some pokemon (snorlax, eevee, pikachu, raichu) have special exclusive z-moves (pulverizing pancake, extreme evoboost, catastropika, and stoked sparksurfer respectively) with exclusive z-crystals. snorlax's z-crystal can only be obtained with a munchlax given to you if you purchase game before january 2017.

another big feature is alola forms of pokemon in which pokemon from previous generations are given a new look and type to suit the new region. they're pretty damn sweet. only 10 have been announced: sandshrew & sandslash as ice/steel ; vulpix as ice & rapidash as ice/fairy ; exeggutor as grass/D R A G O N ; marowak as fire/ghost ; raichu as electric/psychic ; meowth as dark (persian hasn't been announced but is likely also going to be dark iguess) ; rattata & raticate as dark/normal.

differences between sun and moon announced so far are that rockruff (new rock doggo pokemon) evolves into two different forms, two HARAMBE
pokemon (1 for sun, 1 for moon), and that the game are set 12 hours apart

new starters are pretty nice too (POPPLIO IS SUPERIOR) and the enemy team for series has announced to be team skull.
pokemon in the PC aren't useless anymore & there's a festival thing THAT I DON'T REALLY GET so

release date for japan, america, australia is 18th november whereas us europeans get it 5 days later on november 23rd

there's a demo coming out on 18th october which features ash's greninja from the anime which you can transfer to the main game a month later so make sure you get it!!

for friend code stuff (if they add friend safari back, etc) i'll put here (just post them in thread!)
moog: 1908-1280-4127
seput/qube: 1693-5442-2633
marn: 1607 - 4856 - 9225

DISCUSS

Last edited:

Amorix

Reaction score
For a second, I was actually scared they listened to the campaign to name it after that stupid fucking monkey. Relief washes over me.
Anyway, This installment sounds like it'll be great. I took issue with the direction of Gen VI. I liked the idea of streamlining the more obtuse mechanics in an effort to decrease the divide between casual and competitive players, but I thought they went a bit too far with super training. I was scared of hyper training at first, but after reading about it, the feature actually seems like a very good one.
Z-moves. Honestly, while I kinda think it's the usual brand of pointless fluff these games seem fond of inserting, it- just like the other instances of fluff- is ultimately inoffensive. I won't dock the game points over it, but I do get the sense that the devs have been throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. Again- because I know I'll get the entire cosmos of people who refuse to read after me if I don't make this absolutely, pixel perfect, crystal clear- I do not take actual issue with their inclusion. I'm just noticing patterns. Carry on.
I like the idea of Alola forms. While I think some of them look rather silly, such as Raichu and Sandshrew, others like Rattata and Marowak have interesting designs.
Also, that name. Alola. Palindromes. Fuck yeah.
I'm still stuck with my DSi due to my entire household being broke for the past couple years, but on the off chance I get a 3DS before the games go out of fashion, I may need to check this out.

Reactions: Mooglie

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
sun & moon is the seventh generation in the series and is in the alola region (basically hawaii)
I like that I can recognize a bunch of the landmarks--- on the 2nd island anyways.
The big mountain on the coast is totally Diamond Head crater, and the city is /probably/ Waikiki+Honolulu.
Also woo, its Hawaii themed. I'm relevant.
new starters are pretty nice too (POPPLIO IS SUPERIOR)
No but seriously, I love all of the starters this generation. I can't say I can have really said I liked all 3 since--- I guess Hoenn really.
They all have a really nice design and personality attached to them with-- supposedly a nice twist with them since they have a trait "shared with Rockruff," so hopefully each starter gets a Sun and Moon form, which would be a really nice departure from the other generations and give both a reason for some people to not box their starters from the get-go, and give people more choice and make the starters more unique and exciting.

I even like all of their supposedly "leaked" final evolutions (and I'm in the camp of totally believing their real-- especially now that Popplio's 2nd form was announced. I mean c'mon, so much of Brionne's designs are in the leaked evolution: the skirt, the ear pearls on the head, etc.)
I love all the designs and I sorta want to use them all (or at least 2) on my official team when I run through Moon.
I just find it kinda sad because it seems there's just so much hate for all of them, or maybe that's just what my experience has been on the pokemon subreddit.
I think they all have a good amount of personality, and fit the sort of theme that rowlett and popplio have (Circus/Entertainers) with Rowlett being the Dart thrower(or I guess... archer) and popplio being a clown/dancer/whatever. Litten doesn't really fit that theme yet since hes still just a cat but meh.

I like Popplio but not enough to choose it as my starter though; when they were first revealed I was on Team Rowlett; I kinda thought everyone was going to flock around Litten (they did) and Popplio (they didnt) but Rowlett's one of the favourites at the moment it seems.
Though I think I might pick up Litten this time around; I usually don't go for Fire starters (with Torchic being an exception) but Litten's grown on me and I'm kinda rooting for him since he's sorta the underdog now since everyone hates his leaked evo.
I was thinking taking both a litten and rowlett as a tag-team though.
and the enemy team for series has announced to be team skull.
Nonononononono-- Obviously the Aether Foundation are the true villains.
They have admins, and grunts ("employees") just like Team Skull, but are supposedly "doing good" and their leader wants to be mother to all pokemon?!
...Totally not evil! Nope!

I love Team Skull. The music they have, their dumb hooligan theme which is refreshingly simple compared to the "DESTROY THE WORLD!" team's weave had for most of the other gens (Rocket and Plasma being exceptions--- I'm counting Aqua/Magma as a destroy the world team even though they were kinda just eco-terrorists).
Really awesome music, nice design, cool admins, and especially with the Aether foundation, who just feels like they're a separate team, it's nice to have the possibility of there being a dynamic between the two organizations.
Since I'm a big fan of Black/White/Gen 5 in general-- I'm also hoping Colress makes an appearance since he seems incredibly similar, at least in design, with the Aether Foundation. Theres supposedly a reference to the Gen 5 Dream Radar professor/research lady so Colress doesnt seem that big of a stretch in my books.

I'm just hyped all around honestly.
I don't care about the competitive side of Pokemon, it's not for me.
I do however care about the "journey" and adventure thats involved with Pokemon, and I'm quite happy a lot of features and a potentially bigger (or at least, not as formulaic) story will be involved this Gen.
Bringing back player customization was a great return from the statements of it being "a Kalos only thing" back when ORAS launched.
Alolan forms are a great way to breathe new life into old/not often used (at least competitively speaking for that crowd of people)/lets people use pokemon they might not have used before/not cared about Pokemon and giving them new life and new designs---
--Plus it makes sense since pokemon evolve right? Alolan forms fit that bill. x) It's certainly better than Megas in my eyes.

I also know I'm gonna have a Alolan Marrowak on my team (Cubone<3).
I'm just kinda sad they're only forms of Gen 1 Pokemon... at least for now anyways.

Stuff for box'd Pokemon so they don't feel useless or pointless just sitting there, and helping you get items or even level while in their box even transfers over to the main game, which is great.

Overall this is looking like a very strong generation, and I'm excited.
#TeamMoon

JKangaroo

Reaction score
Oh also potentially no more HM's?
Sign me up. Outside of surf (love that move) HM's suuuuuuuucked.
I never liked teaching them to my normal team and tugging around an HM slave never sit well with me. :<
It looks like PokeRide looks will be an end to that system (and seems much more natural than using slot-filling moves) so fingers crossed!

JKangaroo

Reaction score
-New Alola form: Grimer(Poison/Dark)
-Type: Null's getting an evolution and seems to have connections to Arceus? Since it changes type based on hold item.
-Jangmo-o has an evolution and will become Dragon/Fighting! (I'm excited for more info on Jangmo-o)
-Probably more?
Also 2 more days until the Sun/Moon demo. \o/ EDIT: Okay so apparently its supposed to be the 18 not the 14. I don't know why I thought the 14, maybe there's gonna be a news update on the 14. *shrug*

I'm curious what they'll do with it and if it'll go in a different direction than the ORAS demo.
I... kinda just want to see the Rotom Pokedex x)
Its adorable.

• Agree

3nd3rslayer

Reaction score
i'm a huge pokemon fan but I don't really like pokemon sun and moon, I'll just go back to trying to level up all my pokemons to lvl 100 in pokemon fire red

Mooglie

The Local Cow
Reaction score
wow after being stuck on what to evolve my shiny 6IV adamant eevee into on x & y i just remembered normal eevee won't be useless in sun & moon

(it would be cool if the eevee z-move showed shinies if the eevee is shiny)

• Agree
Reactions: webpaige
Reaction score
Just recently made a nostalgia purchase and got a 3ds and Pokemon Heartgold (and some old zelda games) and loved every second of it, found some renewed interest in Pokemon and will probably pick up Sun/Moon and give it a try (Haven't played Pokemon since Ruby/Sapphire). I'm not 100% convinced i'm going to like it yet and i'v always preferred the pixel graphics over 3D but the demo was fun enough so we will see i guess!

Friend code here; seput 1693 - 5442 - 2633

webpaige

Mafia Host
Reaction score
New video came out with the starter's final evolutions!
here is link
Rowlet's final evolution is Decidueye, and Grass/Ghost woah
Litten's final evolution is Incineroar and Fire/Dark and not fighting yay!
Popilo's final evolution is Primarina and Water/Fairy
also the other guardians are revealed and other stuff!
Cynthia and Wally and Red and Blue confirmed!

Reactions: JKangaroo

webpaige

Mafia Host
Reaction score
they didn't mess up litten's typing BUT THEY MESSED UP THE DESIGN
and then they just added a guardian with the same typing as primarina (water/fairy) WHICH HAS A SPECIAL Z-MOVE SO WHO'S GONNA PICK POOR POPPLIO NOW
the water type starters aren't that good anyway c:
also

isn't nature amazing

webpaige

Mafia Host
Reaction score
excuse me
best gen 1 was squirtle!
best gen 3 was mudkip!
best gen 4 was piplup!
best gen 6 was froakie!
gen 1 had a dragon (and dragons > turtles)
I'll admit mudkip is good classical art (but groovyle and blaziken are way better than marshtomp and swampert)
napolean penguin was okay I guess
greninja had a tongue scarf I still am not happy about that

and you skipped over the best two water starters, totodile and oshawott! ;-;

webpaige

Mafia Host
Reaction score
chikorita and cyndaquil were better <3
Cyndaquil was the best but chikorita was so very bad (most of the early gyms destroyed pure grass)
and i'm just against gen 5's existence (idk why but i hated them)
gen 5 was the best, it had zekrom and a cool story and good starters
worst starters were gen 4