[Please Read] Map Secrets.

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
Dear map makers. We greatly appreciate your work. Nothing helps the server more than maps that we all enjoy playing on. On that note while I hate to take anything away from the creative process since I cannot myself build a proper map, we are trying to phase out the gimmick of *Secrets*. While it was a neat idea when it first started being implemented into maps it has lost its purpose on our server.

We would like to get the game play back to running and hiding. I do not mean the kind of hiding where you can sit in an adminium box and be safe unless another zombie knows where the secret is as well. Instead this is Zombie Survival! Where the humans are desperately trying to survive the infection. The constant sense of danger and not knowing if a zombie will come from above or below.

You just don't get that with a secret hiding spot. In most cases accompanied by a jumpcourse where if you have made it to the end to can sit comfortably until the get close after 7 minutes of the 10 minute round.

So all in all. We are removing secrets from current maps. That is something we are undertaking ourselves. However now it is your turn. We would LOVE to take in new maps, but we ask that there be no secrets added in. If we find that this is not a good direction to take then we will allow them to be worked into maps again, but I don't see that happening for a while.

Thank you awesome Blocktopia map creators/editors!

Jeff0521

OPtimistic
Reaction score
As I understand the idea of removing secrets, I feel as though it's a very unnecessary thing to do. Let's be reasonable, secrets are a part of Zombie Survival. Taking away all secrets is preposterous. Some people run, some people hide, and some people hide in secrets. You're just taking away an element that is part of Zombies.

The part of taking away secrets that is logical and I agree with is the taking away of large secrets. I completely comply with that. An example would be Midtownmadness. As much as I love the secret, I think it should be removed. There is a difference between a secret and a whole new map. Secrets should stay, but not secrets that are basically a new map.

This is a controversial topic and I'm sure there are people who disagree with me, but hey, it's my opinion. Getting rid of all secrets is just a rash decision.

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
Where is the fun in tag if you can run to a spot and sit there for a nearly 80% win rate. This isn't a mechanic of zombie survival intended. There is only the fear that if a zombie finds you by also knowing the secret. Also lets face it. Which of you have the most knowledge about secret locations? It certainly aren't the random players that come online. No it is you operators that somewhat abuse your powers to find these locations then almost always hide in them.I say abuse loosely here since you still need to check people's legality and it just may happen that they are in a secret.

Sure you can find them on your own or follow someone else who knows. However, how often is it on the first time a map is played that you dig up the entire map to find it? Not really, it will mostly be no-clipping for us or teleporting to players who may be in one.

These are only a couple reasons why they are being removed. You aren't meant to feel safe, you are supposed to feel anxious the entire round. Scared running or Scared hiding. That is what a zombie apocalypse is.