[Operator] The Unexpected Operator Application of Mikey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
In-game username: M_B_H, more commonly known as Mikey though.

Staff references (Op+): -

Other Blocktopia staff experience (present and past): I staffed Zombies several times bouncing from Trusted to Operator. I’m unsure of my exact staff time but approximately it is around a year and a half.

How would you describe the responsibility and obligation of the rank you apply for: I have written this answer a million times before and as nearly everyone should know, an Operator’s main duty is to ensure a fun and safe environment for the players. They are the individuals who keep the people in order and guarantee the rules are being followed. They are given a set of commands to help them perform these actions. Such as muting, banning, or kicking a player when the situation calls for that punishment.

However, I believe it is in the Operators obligations to be known within the playerbase. An Operator obviously upholds the rules, but keeping the server a fun place to be is just as important. An Operator should be more than understanding and be willing to listen to both parties of a story. Operators should typically be friendly with everyone, but in certain scenarios the Operator may have to be a bit more strict and in demanding that the rules are being followed and that people are not acting unruly. And one final point, that I think is significantly important is that Operators should not be biased whatsoever. Even if you are dealing with a friend, the rules are the rules and should be enforced in any situation. Everyone should be treated equally.

Assume that there are more applicants and can only pick one of them, why you?: I think something that really sets me apart from everyone is my personality. I do honestly believe I am a very unique individual. I have always had a different approach with handling problems and conflicts than the normal person. I know sticking to the protocol is important, but I do not like sounding like a robot and repeating the rule every time, I like to relate things to the person that is being dealt with, so the way I may handle with someone may differ from how I may deal with another person. I believe diversity is highly important in a staffing team, it adds a sense of difference and uniqueness between one another.

I believe I had adapted this type of staffing from seeing so many staff fly by me with different ways of handling things, which vary from an aggressive approach to a passive one. As you all know, I have been around the community since the first month and have learned a lot from watching the hundreds of staff go by. Not many people could of had this influence that I underwent over the years. Besides from watching over people staff over the years, I myself staffed for a very long time and have learned a lot from those experiences.

As previously stated, I have been here for a long time. The reason behind this is because I have cared so deeply about this place. I absolutely love this place and the people here. I have seen it grow from fifty people to multiple thousands. Seeing Minecraft expand with the community doing the same was a beautiful sight to see.

If there is a problem you aren’t sure of how to deal with, what will you do:
After seeing so many different issues arise in my experience of staffing, I have learned to deal with a diverse variety of problems. However, I know though that there will always be a problem that I do not how to deal with. (There’s always a first for everything.) If this were to happen, I would certainly go to another staff member whether that be a Dusk of Discordia staff member or a Head Admin/Controller. I am the type of person who likes to communicate about problems at hand and try to find the most reasonable and logical solution to it. I consider myself a very logical person in regards to dealing with problems.

If a staff member of equal or higher rank is acting up, what will you do: Thought this is a rare occurrence as this is, I have seen it happen before in the past. I personally try not to panic and take any data I can of the situation, whether that be a video, screenshots, or logs. Then I try to find a higher rank as quickly as I possibly can. I am pretty accessible with finding people too (incase of an emergency). I also use TS, Steam, IRC, and forums a pretty heavy amount.

What is your most noticeable weakness, and how will you work to fix it:
I have a slight tendency of getting angry with people at times. This actually has been a problem for me in the past (both in-game and in real life) and I have been trying to work on it. I’ve definitely toned this problem down to where I simply do not get angry with people anymore because it is just not worth it. I have learned that situations are better dealt with if calm. Even today, I still actively work on keeping my cool with people.

The other weakness is a bit inexperience with premium commands. I have played premium immensely after the shutdown of Zombies but never in any real staff position. Overall though, I do not believe this will be a big problem because I know nearly what all the commands do and am a pretty fast learner when it comes to the computer.

Tell us about yourself in less than 200 words: First off, everyone in this community calls Mikey, which is my name. I do not like being called M_B_H (my in-game name). I have a passion for computers and video games. I have been playing since Warcraft II. I absolutely love music and listen to nearly everything. During the school week I care deeply about academics and school and intend to go to U of I next year. On the weekends I like spending time relaxing or hanging out with friends.

If you have any extra information you’d like to share, please do so here: I know if you are reading this you are probably surprised I am even applying because I had a goodbye thread - but I do believe I can potentially squeeze time into my schedule - besides, I need a game to play with all this workload I have. I will definitely have time to play on the weekends. So if I am offending anyone about leaving and somewhat coming back, I am sorry but I just want to help this community as much as i potentially can. I am truly sorry for missing the application cutoff date, I sincerely hope you still consider this application and thank you for reading! Cheers.

SparklyMuffinz

H2H: Here to Help
Reaction score
Hello Mikey,

I guess it's good you took it up with me and decided to apply in the end as we're accepting this application (we're slightly crazy). Obviously you know how to operate a server and we're trusting you to be able to control that anger you mentioned and do a good job. We'd like you to spend this time learning the necessary SMP/Premium commands, then see how you do. Good luck and if you have any questions, just ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.