Rune

Resident Roadman | Deception Lead
Admin
Donor
AoD Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score

This thread is dedicated to the discussion of No Man's Sky, an action adventure survival games with vibes of Starboard and Ark. The description of the game (ripped from wikipedia) describes the game more clearly

No Man's Sky is an action-adventure survival video game developed and published by the indie studio Hello Games for PlayStation 4and Microsoft Windows. The game was released worldwide in August 2016.

No Man's Sky's gameplay is built on four pillars—exploration, survival, combat and trading—in which players are free to perform within the entirety of a procedurally generateddeterministic open universe, which includes over 18 quintillion (1.8×1019) planets, many with their own set of flora and fauna. By exploring, players gain information about the planets that they can submit to the Atlas, a universal database that can be shared with other players of the game. Players get compensated in in-game currency every time new information is uploaded to The Atlas. Players also gain materials and blueprints to upgrade their character's equipment and purchase a variety of starships, allowing them to travel deeper into the center of the galaxy, survive on planets with hostile environments, interact in friendly or hostile manners to computer-controlled space-faring factions, or trade with other ships. Some activities, such as killing too many lifeforms or draining too many resources from planets, will draw the attention of patrolling robotic Sentinels that will attempt to kill the player-character.

Players participate in a shared universe, with the ability to exchange planet coordinates with friends, though the game is also fully playable offline; this is enabled by the procedural generation system that assures players find the same planet with the same features, lifeforms, and other aspects once given the planet coordinates, requiring no further data to be stored or retrieved from game servers. Nearly all elements of the game are procedurally generated, including star systems, planets and their ecosystems, flora, fauna and their behavioral patterns, artificial structures, and alien factions and their spacecraft. The game's engine employs several deterministic algorithms such as parameterised mathematical equations that can mimic a wide range of geometry and structure found in nature. Art elements created by human artists are used and altered as well within these generation systems. The game's audio, including ambient sounds and its underlying soundtrack, also use procedural generation methods from base samples created by Paul Weir and the musical group 65daysofstatic.

E3 Trailer:

Last edited:

Rune

Resident Roadman | Deception Lead
Admin
Donor
AoD Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Let's start of with anyone who will be buying the game. So far it looks good, and reminds me of Starbound and Ark and I'm a huge fan of sci-fi games. Hopefully this will be awesome and I will look forward in collecting everything.

Reactions: Poe and sessybessy

Excepted

Reaction score
I am really not sure about this game, it does look like it could be good and I could play it for many hours but it also looks like it could be very repetitive. I'm also not sure how varied the planets are going to be and how many are just going to be empty. If I do get it, I think it will be a week or so after release to see how it is.

sessybessy

aka Jenben101
Creative Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I've seen this game around and I've been wondering if I should buy it or not. I've seen a few promotions for the game and it looks absolutely stunning. I personally love sci-fi and space themed games and from the video you showed, the sci fi and space vibes were there. I love the style of the game and the fact that it is online based just makes me really want to buy it.

So is the game worth buying?
-Jen-

Mars

Reaction score
Already pre-ordered it, I also have Elite Dangerous since earlier and played it with my Vive, hopefully VR will work as good with No Man's Sky

Velzerat

Drink up baby, stay up all night
Donor
Reaction score
Already pre-ordered it, I also have Elite Dangerous since earlier and played it with my Vive, hopefully VR will work as good with No Man's Sky
VR isn't confirmed yet sadly. Even so close to release there hasn't been any news about VR support. Last thing they said about it was that they were very interested in it and it'd be a good fit, but made some comments about having a small team and all that. I think it will come eventually, but was probably not a priority for them for release, especially with PSVR not even out yet. I'm just hoping it won't be exclusive to either the Rift or the Vive.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I've seen this game around and I've been wondering if I should buy it or not. I've seen a few promotions for the game and it looks absolutely stunning. I personally love sci-fi and space themed games and from the video you showed, the sci fi and space vibes were there. I love the style of the game and the fact that it is online based just makes me really want to buy it.

So is the game worth buying?
-Jen-
It's online based yeah but I've been watching some videos about it and there are so many planets/star systems and the game is so huge that it's extremely rare you'll find anyone else in the game (everyone spawns in a seperate location along the edge of the galaxy and there are so many planets that it'll be rare finding a planet that someone's already been to [which you'll know only because they might have named the wildlife there but other than that I think the planet will have refreshed itself for everyone after the person who was there before went into orbit], so it will be insanely more rare to find someone on the same planet as you at the same time and even in the same place on the humongous planet) and even then, there's no real indication that someone's a real person and not an NPC, as far as I know. There's no minimap or waypoints or anything to let you know where other people are I don't think, and it sounds like you can share coordinates with people but it's likely you're so far away it'd take AGES to reach each other. If I'm remembering what the dev said correctly, they put multiplayer in so players can feel like there's a chance of finding others but that chance is super super super super super slim, and multiplayer isn't a major focus on the game at all. That being said, players are encouraged to complete the quest of getting to the centre of the galaxy, and so I imagine that the closer to the centre you are, the more chance you'll have of seeing others, and if the centre of the galaxy is habitable, it will be a kind of hub of people who've completed the quest, if they're still playing after that point, but the dev doesn't seem to expect most will continue the game after getting there, from what he said to IGN. But yeah, it's multiplayer but not really I guess lol.

I am really not sure about this game, it does look like it could be good and I could play it for many hours but it also looks like it could be very repetitive. I'm also not sure how varied the planets are going to be and how many are just going to be empty. If I do get it, I think it will be a week or so after release to see how it is.
This is pretty much my opinion too. From what I've seen most of the planets seem quite empty with occasional lone buildings or relics and animals and rocks dotted around. I feel like if I bought this game it'd be kinda fun at first and I'd feel like I have my hands on such a huge game with so much freedom but after a few hours I'd be bored of mindlessly and endlessly traveling to a planet, mining and 'researching'/scanning wildlife, trading and repeat, occasionally getting into space battles which do look quite cool, but I think it will just get way too repetitive, empty and lonely. Not worth the price in my opinion so far \o/

And omg just took me like an hour to write all that because pc wifi adapter broke so stuck on PS4 :(

Last edited:

Mars

Reaction score
Bump: Incase anyone is dissappointed with this game (as a lot of people are) Steam, Sony and Amazon are offering refunds regardless how long you have played

• Thank You
Reactions: sessybessy