Name discussion and suggestion thread

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
Implicitly what is being debated here is not the name change, but the desired direction of the community. EscapeRestart serves as a name to a general gaming community, while Blocktopia is Minecraft in specific. If we switch back to Blocktopia, we're more or less putting the nail in the coffin to expanding to other games in the long term. Consider the implications here before making any decisions.
That's really what it is yeah and that's also the reason why we are very likely not going through with a community namechange right now. It would mostly hurt TTT (and maybe future servers) and I think that's a bad idea while it's still running and doing decently well. We are a MC focussed community with roughly 5/6th of the staff being minecraft affiliated so it's a good idea to keep Blocktopia in the back of our heads may TTT fail later (and there are no other server ideas).

For now people should focus more on new names for Create and AoD, which do make more sense to change right now. It was probably too early to add it in the community news we are considering Blocktopia again, but a few people suggested it and I thought the transparency would be appreciated.

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
There are a multitude of things that bother me about the rebranding of the servers and just thinking about it - None of our minecraft servers were really heavily advertised to begin with so of course we're going to have a lack of name recognition. Even when Create was Buildbox, there was no advertising or name used whatsoever beyond the forum unless we were lucky enough to have someone post a video or their work on other sites (PMC or Youtube) that promoted our server.

Seeing that the Blocktopia rename idea was prematurely mentioned, but the server rebranding is still up in the air -- I'm still reluctant that a server name change will make it any easier to advertise what we have right now. The search queries for "EscapeRestart Create" and "Blocktopia Buildbox" seem like they would yield the same amount of results (youtube, images, site redirects) minus the fact that the "Buildbox" name is already being used by a software dev (heck, now I'm more inclined to visit their website and see what they offer). Also, the "EscapeRestart Create" results have videos done in 2015 whilst "Buildbox" videos have a few done before 2014 and it's likely that people will be looking for new content rather than old.

If you guys do find a new name for our Creative server, then it would seem like you'd have to start fresh when it comes down to creating new content (images, videos) that others can find. Then if you guys are really dedicated, any history of the Create name in (videos, images, threads, sites- that just have them EscapeRestart Create name on then) could maybe be renamed just to avoid confusion (unless that's just a waste of time) when new players join whatever server name is chosen.

Also, the reasoning that you guys give us for reverting Create to Buildbox because Buildbox is much "easier to advertise" doesn't make sense. You guys create an Advertising team that hasn't even advertised Create content but come to the conclusion that Buildbox would be easier to advertise? Even without advertising Create, I'm certain that there are more than 1000 unique players that have joined the server since the name change.

ChocoFox

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I don't see what's this entire fuss all about, honestly. What I see here is just the community splitting into two sides and trying to tear each other apart for no rational reason. Just like matadors and bulls in a godforsaken bloodbath.

What the hell? Name change or not, does it really matter?

Originally I thought that not changing the name is better than changing it, but now I honestly don't see a bloody difference.

People are just arguing over something not worth arguing about. Just bloody well get over it and let the administrators decide.

After all, SirC is the head of the advertising team, isn't it only practical for him to decide on a name change since he is probably the most informed about what is best to advertise and what not?

Sorry, Psycho, but I no longer see the rationale behind your argument of not having a name change. Neither do I see the rationale behind anyone else's argument about having a name change. Cause from what I see here, this is just at superficial value and it means nothing to me.

I think what's best now is seriously get the people who are in the advertising team to comment on this and the feasibility of changing the name rather than just let the community decide.

If you let the community decide everything, I don't think we're gonna go anywhere. We're not gonna go forwards, neither are we gonna 'go backwards' as some people have suggested.

We're just gonna stay here. Stuck. Like now. Like ever.

Name change or not; it may as well not bloody matter. This is just a spanking stupid testosterone-fueled argument from both sides over a complete non-issue.

There's really no point for this argument. Just let the people in charge present the facts and we'll all see what's the best choice.

JtTorso

Reaction score
I don't see what's this entire fuss all about, honestly. What I see here is just the community splitting into two sides and trying to tear each other apart for no rational reason. Just like matadors and bulls in a godforsaken bloodbath.

What the hell? Name change or not, does it really matter?

Originally I thought that not changing the name is better than changing it, but now I honestly don't see a bloody difference.

People are just arguing over something not worth arguing about. Just bloody well get over it and let the administrators decide.

After all, SirC is the head of the advertising team, isn't it only practical for him to decide on a name change since he is probably the most informed about what is best to advertise and what not?

Sorry, Psycho, but I no longer see the rationale behind your argument of not having a name change. Neither do I see the rationale behind anyone else's argument about having a name change. Cause from what I see here, this is just at superficial value and it means nothing to me.

I think what's best now is seriously get the people who are in the advertising team to comment on this and the feasibility of changing the name rather than just let the community decide.

If you let the community decide everything, I don't think we're gonna go anywhere. We're not gonna go forwards, neither are we gonna 'go backwards' as some people have suggested.

We're just gonna stay here. Stuck. Like now. Like ever.

Name change or not; it may as well not bloody matter. This is just a spanking stupid testosterone-fueled argument from both sides over a complete non-issue.

There's really no point for this argument. Just let the people in charge present the facts and we'll all see what's the best choice.
A. The name change is important, I've been through two of them, I would know.

B. There is no indication that a name change will help us even for advertising purposes, it didn't work before what makes anyone think it'll work again.

C. The minute we let the the admins or advertising team make major decisions for us is the minute we should all give up, not because they're incapable but because this is a community and that would defeat the purpose.

B. A "spanking stupid testosterone-fueled argument"? Are you reading the same thread? This is a conversation that has been incredibly civil despite a few caveats. Apparently this community has forgotten what real drama is.

Last edited:

Amorix

Reaction score
I suppose if I were absolutely required to really give a damn, I'd revert to Blocktopia, since I was on team "the name change is largely unnecessary and will probably be somewhat confusing to older members looking us up again after so many eons searching the astral plane for the meaning to their existence" and while I've grown pretty much completely indifferent to the new name, my opinion still stands. Think of the astral planers.
Or we could go with the earlier suggestion of keeping the overarching name of "EscapeRestart" and use "Blocktopia" to refer to our Minecraft branch. "EscapeRestart's Blocktopia." Probably a bit wordy when other titles get involves, like RoF or Create or that third server with so few players that I'm not entirely certain I didn't hallucinate that one, but still nice.

Last edited:

Fragile

Not Former Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.clubpenguin.com
I think out of respect to the original creator we should switch from "Escape Restart" to "the one two". AoD should switch to "raiding chests for half an hour then dying via falling off the map", Rof to "building an airtight fortress for half an hour then realizing it wasn't airtight", and Create to "building a complex redstone algorithm inside massive realistic terraformed mountains only to realize you built a repeater and a thousand holes. also your build will be griefed 4-5 times a month. also the server will restart in 1 minute. also plive broke it"

Really though, names literally don't matter and the server will be unsuccessful after a month anyhow if we keep this up. I've seen this happen once with the entire server plus a couple more times with our individual servers already only to serve minimal differences besides a few different things as far as actual gameplay went. No disrespect is intended to our wonderful staff but we keep focusing on the wrong things. I would like to ask for another RoF but I'm not that creative and it won't happen if we don't cut a server or two and refocus the staff.

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
Fragile

Nobody thinks that changing back to Blocktopia will fix our problems. In fact, the reason for the name change has nothing to do with fixing anything. We have been working on the servers for a long time, at the moment our staff team is very dedicated and working hard. We are doing very well compared to some time ago. I want to push through now to get our name back out while we have a strong staff team, Blocktopia is easier to get out than EscapeRestart. Same goes for the other name changes, it's 100% to make it easier to advertise and get our name out, not to fix our problems.

• Thank You
Reactions: Fragile and Duffie

JtTorso

Reaction score
Fragile

Nobody thinks that changing back to Blocktopia will fix our problems. In fact, the reason for the name change has nothing to do with fixing anything. We have been working on the servers for a long time, at the moment our staff team is very dedicated and working hard. We are doing very well compared to some time ago. I want to push through now to get our name back out while we have a strong staff team, Blocktopia is easier to get out than EscapeRestart. Same goes for the other name changes, it's 100% to make it easier to advertise and get our name out, not to fix our problems.
I'm not trying to be a dick or anything here, but this post is the equivalent to saying Yes means No and No means Yes. Again, not trying to be rude, but you can't say you're changing the name not to fix things but immediately say you're doing it to fix our advertising situation, it wouldn't have been suggested if you didn't think it would solve anything.

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
I think what Vat might mean is that whilst a name change isn't the fix-all solution to advertising that will instantly have us get a stream of people flooding into the server, what it's meant to do is assist us with advertising, and reinstate a slightly more recognisable name in the Minecraft community.

I've stated my opinion previously, and we're all stating ours, and if the majority of people don't want to go ahead, we won't. /shrug

olieb123

Reaction score
the name blocktopia brings back fond memories of the primordia days. :) but as much as nostalgia says to change back, it would stop us from expanding to other games and as other people have mentioned it would be the end of the TTT server as few people would realise it exists based on the minecraft themed name.

personally i cant wait for the new SMP because of all the friends i made in the past on primordia (and kamis realm) that i cant wait to see again :) Im sure lots of other people feel the same way and I also have a few friends who have been looking for a new SMP server to jump onto (they might even do a lets play).

anyway, my point is i think when the new SMP opens it will hopefully help bring in some old players and some new ones too and changing the name is probably a bad idea at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: Deleted member 4601