Multiple lava suggestions.

RaizzanX

Trash
Controller
Donor
Discord Staff
Reaction score
Hello there,
I am concern about the lava server because lately, there aren't many lava goers these days. So I have a few suggestions that may/may not help with the server.

Lava rounds duration:
I know there are a lot of suggestions to shorten lava time but hear me out on this one. The lava times are long with a reasonable reasons but 40 minutes for a round is maybe too long. I would suggest that the longest round should be 35 minutes and the shortest would be 15 minutes(after server restart only).

Maps according to the seasons:
Why not have maps according to the seasons. For example, we could change the map rotation once every 3 months according the seasons-spring,summer,fall and winter. This maybe included to death run maps if we have more of them.

Death Run:
We could convert zombie maps into death run maps and this would greatly increase the number of death run maps. However, this would require the map maker and...(not really sure) the zombie staff members. Some of those map could easily work quite well on death run with some modification.

These are my suggestion but some are probably already suggested but in a different way.

Sploorky

Reaction score
1. I wouldn't mind shortening the maximum round time by 5 minutes.
2. I'm kind of against this idea because 90% of our maps don't fit into a season. Last year, the maps did get winterfreshed(All maps were modified to fit a winter theme), and the maps were deathified a while back, so seasonal and just specific map themes do happen.
3. I don't think the zombie maps would fit well into lava. Zombie is centered around avoiding the enemy, while death run is centered around getting to the end before the lava reaches you. It'd be hard to find a 'specified point' to get to for a death run round on a lot of maps.

Reactions: Ogarci

RaizzanX

Trash
Controller
Donor
Discord Staff
Reaction score
1. I wouldn't mind shortening the maximum round time by 5 minutes.
2. I'm kind of against this idea because 90% of our maps don't fit into a season. Last year, the maps did get winterfreshed(All maps were modified to fit a winter theme), and the maps were deathified a while back, so seasonal and just specific map themes do happen.
3. I don't think the zombie maps would fit well into lava. Zombie is centered around avoiding the enemy, while death run is centered around getting to the end before the lava reaches you. It'd be hard to find a 'specified point' to get to for a death run round on a lot of maps.
1st, Everyone would agree on the first one.
2nd, maybe if the maps get modified for the season too?
3rd, maybe its possible for multiple endings?

Sploorky

Reaction score
For modifying the maps for each season, that would make our already somewhat limited rotation even smaller, and would be massive work for the controllers(Or whoever does it) to modify almost every map without it looking half-assed.

Ogarci

Controller
Controller
Survival Staff
Reaction score
1st, Everyone would agree on the first one.
2nd, maybe if the maps get modified for the season too?
3rd, maybe its possible for multiple endings?
From the person that primarily did a large majority of both winterfreshing and deathification, I can tell you that it's much harder and time consuming than it sounds. We have more than 60 maps (and growing), and some are much hard to convert than others. I dare you to try to deathify sandy_traps. Creativity in classic only goes so far.

Another point, deathifying and winterfreshing have two very distinct themes. One is lava/obsidian/dirt/black/gravel, the latter is white/holiday/christmastime themed. There's not really much we could do with spring/summer/fall themes, unless we either covered everything in flowers for spring or turned all of creation into a beach for a summer theme. I can't even think about a "fall" theme.

Point is, as fun and awesome as customized or themed map sets are, I think in classic that we're limited in both available blocks and creativity to a point that what you suggest is simply unfeasible.

RaizzanX

Trash
Controller
Donor
Discord Staff
Reaction score
From the person that primarily did a large majority of both winterfreshing and deathification, I can tell you that it's much harder and time consuming than it sounds. We have more than 60 maps (and growing), and some are much hard to convert than others. I dare you to try to deathify sandy_traps. Creativity in classic only goes so far.

Another point, deathifying and winterfreshing have two very distinct themes. One is lava/obsidian/dirt/black/gravel, the latter is white/holiday/christmastime themed. There's not really much we could do with spring/summer/fall themes, unless we either covered everything in flowers for spring or turned all of creation into a beach for a summer theme. I can't even think about a "fall" theme.

Point is, as fun and awesome as customized or themed map sets are, I think in classic that we're limited in both available blocks and creativity to a point that what you suggest is simply unfeasible.
Well, fall is definitely ruled out, however, based on the number of maps we have, why not change the map rotation according the season on how a map displays itself, there are some maps which looks like it's summer or spring. Fall maybe impossible and winter(with a lot adjustments) might be possible. I understand it's hard to convert maps according to season but why not just change the map in the rotation instead of converting them.

Ronaldo

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Well, fall is definitely ruled out, however, based on the number of maps we have, why not change the map rotation according the season on how a map displays itself, there are some maps which looks like it's summer or spring. Fall maybe impossible and winter(with a lot adjustments) might be possible. I understand it's hard to convert maps according to season but why not just change the map in the rotation instead of converting them.
I honestly don't see how much of a difference that this can make when it comes to increasing the server's popularity. Each map has its own unique standard, and some even have creative concepts in them which has nothing to do with seasons. Even so, I can imagine that this would take some sloppy work to actually sort out and code the maps and their rotation according to seasons.

Damer_Flinn

Resident Asha'man
Reaction score
Not to mention that people live in opposing seasons and would be getting winter maps in summer, or spring maps in fall.

As for Zombie maps being added for Death Run, I know of a few that would work with some slight modifications. I offered to give some maps at the time DR was first introduced, but nothing came of it. I don't have the time to modify them myself, but if they would be accepted/approved I would be happy to give the files.