Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate(MH4U - 3ds title)

Lee_scar

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any other active hunters out there.
I recall talking to a few people a while ago but I forget really who exactly it was and with the new system that you can play with others via internet it makes the sound of a 4 man hunt all the sweeter.

I figured could start a friendcode exchange or another; possibly even share some pelicos or guild quests.

My load out this game is Gunner, I have been messing around with bows for the time being but can switch into l-bowgun or h-bowgun to help cut some tails off.

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Good to see the series gaining some traction in the West. I've been playing since Freedom Unite and it's great seeing so many more people playing 4 Ultimate!
Are ranged weapons any better for solo play this time around?
The HBG is trash until you can take the limiter off, the LBG will always be trash, and the bow is still the niche weapon it's always been :(

Lee_scar

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
I'm gonna get this at some point, maybe next week.

Are ranged weapons any better for solo play this time around? They were terrible in solo but great in multiplayer in 3U.
Well I haven't really used the bowgun solo but I've been using the bow.
It has been amazing for me since they now include sort of a flash/shake letting you know your bow is doing 100% of its damage rather then guessing if you did correct distance from the creature or not.

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
It has been amazing for me since they now include sort of a flash/shake letting you know your bow is doing 100% of its damage rather then guessing if you did correct distance from the creature or not.
There has always been a brighter flash on impact for hitting at critical distance with the bow - MH4U introduces a more obvious screen shake as well.

Lee_scar

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
There has always been a brighter flash on impact for hitting at critical distance with the bow - MH4U introduces a more obvious screen shake as well.
Never really payed much attention to it, was under the guise that flashes were all esthetic aside from affinity colored ones.
Kinda sad really since I've played the entire series from the first till now.
Ah the days of having to do a gather mission every other hunt, miss/hate them truly.

Also Marlem. Monster rancher hasn't had a game sinze the ps2 released locally. Curious how it would go since the other ones were really interesting.

Reactions: Prizyms

Lee_scar

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Went and picked it up yesterday. I don't really like the feel of the charge blade, so I might try out the greatsword this time around. Switchaxe was my primary in 3U and it doesn't seem to have seen a lot of change, so I can always go back to that if I don't like any of the other weapons.
Great Sword:
There is a new big attack you can do (single wide swing) after a strong charge or jump attack. The higher the charge the more powerful. The attack is as powerful as a lv3 normal charge attack after a strong charge. Damage output for GS is better than ever before thanks to it. Since other hunters can mount monsters there are more opportunities than ever to do a full combo (normal 3, slap, strong 3, big swing). GS is a joy in mh4.
Long Sword:
There is now a really cool move you can do after a fade slash that will let you charge right back at the monster and it can lead into a spirit combo. You’ll need it since the gauge resets to absolute zero after a set period of time after you are in red.
SNS:
You get a charge attack instead of the classic jump attack, only difference is how it looks. You also get a charge attack where you’ll jump back, charge, then jump forward and hit hard. The back jump on the attack makes it so you can use this as an evasive move as well. You can also now do jump attacks up ledges. SNS users are in for a treat.
Dual Swords:
Um… You get prettier effects?
Hammer:
Um… You get a jump attack just like everyone else?
Hunting Horn:
New double swing attack with the A button but you can sneak in x or x+a during the attack to get that note for absolutely free! Makes playing songs easier! Some new songs as well.
Lance:
More mobility than ever! Your charging attack now let’s you run uninterrupted up ledges and you can do your normal stab, a jumping attack that can mount monsters, or even a quick turnaround swipe. Very versatile now!!!
Gunlance:
Normal shot users will be pleased to hear you can do a full burst immediately following the jump attack. The new artillery master skill increases shell damage by a whopping 30% and lowers wyverns fire cool down to 80 sec. Whooooohooo.
Switch axe:
A new double hit attack for sword mode that moves you a little but does good damage. Not sure if it’s new but a sword swipe from evade keeps you aggro throughout the hunt. You can actually do an elemental burst jump but it’s not as easy as it sounds :p evade+ easier than ever to activate so SA gets easier to use. You also get a new finisher move on the hack and slash combo which is nice.
Bow:
New type of bow, the power shot. Just press a button after you fire and you’ll do a second shot (double shot). The second one is one level *stronger* than the one you first shot. Eats up stamina but really powerful.
Bowguns:
Um… You can do a reload jump?

Last edited: