Catcocomics

Reaction score
Map Name: Old Mansion
Map Authors: Catcocomics
Game Type: Mob
Map Worldborder:
Self-contained
Download: /warp OldMansion
Game Time: High Noon, Locked (feel free to Mccree meme on this)
Maximum amount of players: 6
Minimum amount of players: 2
Notes:
*The map is kind of big, and spiders aren't particularly durable. Increased spawn rates are advised.
*Additionally, the first wave might go without any mobs at all. To help with this, a sign has been placed informing players of the usage of /nextwave.
*If you can, please make all the axes have vanilla 1.9 cooldowns or cooldown values of 1.

Wave time: 50 seconds

Shop Locations: Blue Shulker Boxes, one out doors, one in the front lobby, one in the attic.
Mob Spawns: all the dragon heads (there are quite a few, finding all of them might be slightly tedious)
Player Spawn(s): green shulker box at the large gate that is blocked by lots of trees.
End Wave: No wave 26
Mobs which can spawn: Spiders, Cave Spiders, Silver Fish, Endermites.
Fall Damage: No
Screenshots:

Last edited:
G

Guest35486

Hi Catco, thanks for the map submission!

I've taken a look at your map and noticed some points I would like to discuss:

1. Doors
Doors would prevent mobs from reaching the player, as the player may just enter and close the door behind them. This map has quite a few of them, such as the one shown in the spoiler.

2. Shops
I believe that some of these items should be rebalanced. To bring up an example, the Megaton Hammer is available for 20 gold when it does 12 damage. The diamond axe for 30 gold seems to be pretty powerful as well, especially since it has the Bane of Arthropods enchantment, which affects every mob you've listed. For reference, a diamond sword does 7 for 18 gold in the default shop list. I understand that you didn't put a lot of armor, but these weapons, along with potions, will be too powerful in my opinion.

3. Structure/Design of the map
Aesthetically, it looks good. Most of the elements fit in together. However, I'm concerned about aspects regarding gameplay. Many of the rooms are small, making it easy for players to be trapped. The cobwebs are incredibly annoying and will cause players to be stuck. Other than that, the structure of the map is a bit confusing. It's probably better to have an open and clear layout for Mob maps.

4. Misc
Maximum amount of players:M
I'm not sure what this means.
*If you can, please make all the axes have vanilla 1.9 cooldowns or cooldown values of 1.
As far as I know, this isn't possible at the moment.

Also, I've noticed that you put in enchanted books, but I did not find any anvils.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Doors would prevent mobs from reaching the player, as the player may just enter and close the door behind them. This map has quite a few of them, such as the one shown in the spoiler.
If this becomes too big of an issue, I can have the doors replaced with open iron doors.
I believe that some of these items should be rebalanced. To bring up an example, the Megaton Hammer is available for 20 gold when it does 12 damage. The diamond axe for 30 gold seems to be pretty powerful as well, especially since it has the Bane of Arthropods enchantment, which affects every mob you've listed. For reference, a diamond sword does 7 for 18 gold in the default shop list. I understand that you didn't put a lot of armor, but these weapons, along with potions, will be too powerful in my opinion.
Chances are that I just left place-holder prices.
Though it would probably be a good idea for me to make sure that there is some kind of mid-power weapon.
Aesthetically, it looks good. Most of the elements fit in together. However, I'm concerned about aspects regarding gameplay. Many of the rooms are small, making it easy for players to be trapped. The cobwebs are incredibly annoying and will cause players to be stuck. Other than that, the structure of the map is a bit confusing. It's probably better to have an open and clear layout for Mob maps.
As far as people being trapped in rooms, I'm not terribly worried about this becoming a serious issue, especially when the strongest enemy is probably cave spiders for their poison (which for once in our lives, can be countered). Most of the weapons in the shop can be used to brute-force a path out of a room.
The cobwebs, though annoying, provide minor and avoidable stage hazards that kind of counter balance the power of some weapons, and since the main threat consists of spiders, it would only be logical to have cobwebs. It's also worth noting that the cobwebs can only be found in ever holey the attic.
I'm not sure what this means.
Probably a place-holder that I forgot to properly fill-out. Seems I also forgot to turn off fall damage, which is kind of an issue, considering how the holes in the attic's floor are meant for players to jump down (and for spiders to climb up).
I'll have these issues fixed shortly.
As far as I know, this isn't possible at the moment.

Also, I've noticed that you put in enchanted books, but I did not find any anvils.
Weapon Cool downs to my knowledge are stored as NBT data, or are otherwise designed to be assigned to different items individually. for Reference, a Wood axe has an attack speed of 0.8, which is slightly slower than the attack speed of a diamond or gold axe (both with an attack speed of 1). By use of command blocks in vanilla, people have made custom swords and weapons with modified attack speeds and damage.

Remove books, since I'm not adding any anvils.

HKCaper

Almighty Goat
Reaction score
Hi Catco, ty for submitting this map

Let's get right into some remarks

If this becomes too big of an issue, I can have the doors replaced with open iron doors.
Yes please. I'd strongly recommend doing this (or adjusting in any other way).

As far as people being trapped in rooms, I'm not terribly worried about this becoming a serious issue
Frankly, this is my #1 concern about the map, some rooms or just passages are too small and and provide only 1 exit. For example I found this spot:

Mobs can fall from above as well, if you get trapped, it is not going to be nice. It would be nice if you adjusted these tight spaces a bit and provided more accessebility overall.

3. There is a lot of grass. Grass tends to be tedious. So unless players can break the grass, I'd recommend taking it out.

That's it for now.

G

Guest35486

Hi Catco,

As expressed in the previous posts, this map will not be suitable for Mob. Small enclosed spaces (with cobwebs) are annoying in combat, even if they do provide a challenge. In addition, the overall layout does not seem fitting and has areas where the players are inaccessible. I am not commenting on the shops since they have not been modified since my last post.
Lastly, I do not recommend switching game modes as the map was intended for Mob, and making a map into other game modes is not optimal.

Declined

Status
Not open for further replies.