Mikey's VetOp Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
In-game username: M_B_H

Staff references (Controller+):

Da_Jinks, Biblius, Old_Man_Oak63, Danni122112, and Sploorky have agreed to reference me.

Other Blocktopia staff experience (present and past):

Zombie Survival Trusted
Zombie Survival Operator
Discordian Operator

How would you describe the responsibility and obligation of the rank you apply for:

I have always thought of a Veteran Operator as an Operator with an abundance of experience and competency. A Veteran Operator is expected to uphold their tasks and responsibilities as a regular Operator but go a step beyond that. Not only should they be a role model to players but to the Operators as well. They should regularly be helping new Operators in any way necessary. Moreover, VetOps should be actively searching for ways to keep the server fun and spontaneous, typically through the use of events. Event creation an obvious part of the rank, is critically important for keeping people, new and old, interested in the server. Apart from the new responsibilities, it is still important that VetOps remember to ensure the server is a fun and safe environment.

Assume that there are more applicants and can only pick one of them, why you?:

Over the years, I have obtained a significant amount of experience and proficiency as a staff member. I have staffed classic for an immeasurable amount of time and now continue to carry my staffing onto the premium servers. Although I am relatively new to the premium staffing scene, I believe I am a community staffing veteran and can prove myself in a new, more sophisticated, rank. Besides from my previous staffing experience, I have been a long time player before obtaining a rank. I observed many staff members ranging from Trusted to Admin do their jobs and from that I thus learned how to handle situations and problems in different ways, I even learned some things not do as a staff member, having experience is basically what makes a Veteran.

As I stated in my last Operator application, I said I had unique way of staffing. However, I did not give the most efficient elaboration on what exactly that meant. I strongly believe being diverse in the way you handle and deal with matters is important. Standing out to the players as actually having a personality is meaningful not only to the server but what the players think of the operators. I am displeased when I see staff members not reasoning with the players and just sticking completely to the rules regardless of what problem occurred. This is kind of an old-school approach, but I believe it is the most genuine way of staffing.

Lastly, I have had a bumpy road through my near five years in Blocktopia, I have had my ups and downs. My success and failures, but regardless of what happened, I dusted myself off and did whatever I could to redeem myself. I understand where many people are coming from when they are having a problem because I have experienced a lot of it as well, and in the end, everyone makes mistakes.

If there is a problem you aren’t sure of how to deal with, what will you do:

If a problem I was unfamiliar with did arise, I would try to the best of my ability to use my previous staffing experience and common sense to solve it appropriately. If I was completely unsure, I would not hesitate in asking another staff member for assistance and their opinion. If a staff member is not available, I would choose the most logical and reasonable solution.

How experienced are you with the current commands on the server, and would
you be able to grasp many new commands quickly?:

As said before, I catch onto new processes or even commands fairly quickly. I have been staffing for months now and believe I am fairly educated on the commands on Discordia. If new commands/plugins are to be introduced as a VetOp, I would try to the best of my ability to learn and understand the commands. If I am confused on a way a command works, I would try my best to figure out how it works whether that meant asking another staff member.

What’s the best thing you have ever read?:

Although I am a huge Tolkien fan, To Kill a Mockingbird has to be my all-time favorite novel. I am not the biggest bookworm, but have read my fair share of stories and plays. This novel had a big impact on me because of the way Atticus Finch displayed himself throughout the story. He did what was right even when pressured by society to do what was immorally common and socially unacceptable. The quote "you never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb into his skin and walk around in it" has always been one of my favorite quotes. He handles everything is such an honorable way with meaningful lessons to his children, it is so uncommon for a man to carry himself that way, I have always looked at him as a role model in life.

If you have any extra information you’d like to share, please do so here:

I know I can be a bit silly at times, but when the time is called to be serious, I believe I am. I hope my humor does not bother any of the staff on the server (if so just let me know). After all, this is a game and we are ultimately meant to have fun in the long run.
Furthermore, after getting a bit bored and stale with the Operator rank, I wanted to go to the next step and uphold the responsibilities and obligations of a Veteran Operator.
Also, thank you for reading through this somewhat long application and hopefully considering it, cheers!

And yay, 15000th thread!

Last edited:

Undefined User 7

Psychosomatic
Reaction score
Sploorky never references me for my apps. He didn't even offer a refference for my top-secret Controller Application that I filed directly to the Illuminati. :(

Mikey is a veteran. He has been in this community longer than I have, and that's a claim that few current staff can make. He has seen many promotions, demotions, openings, closings, scandals, and comdies. He has seen quite a bit.

There is one obvious flaw that many would be quick to point out, and that is the fact that Mikey has indeed never staffed an SMP server before. You certainly are not wrong, however, we must keep in mind that many experiences are applicable in general rather than specifically. Da_Jinks has staffed SMP specifically for a very long time, meaning he fits like a hand in a glove; his area of expertise specifically fits SMP well. Mikey, on the other hand, has such a broad and general knowledge of staffing and Blocktopia that he fits much more like a blanket, covering many different areas with different ammounts of warmth.

I believe Mikey already serves as a veteran within the community. I believe Mikey has worked hard to prove his worth to DoD. I believe Mikey is worthy of the title "Veteran Operator".

EDIT: For all the people disagreeing with my decision, I've not gotten a single message about it! You either must not be that convinced of your vote, or you're simply too lazy to explain yourself.

Last edited:

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
EDIT: For all the people disagreeing with my decision, I've not gotten a single message about it! You either must not be that convinced of your vote, or you're simply too lazy to explain yourself.
First off - they're not submitting any vote, and even if it were to be thought that way they couldn't make any reasonable injustifications against myself on the server, for the notion that the people who disagreed with you have not been on the server in nearly a month. Seemingly, the people who are disagreeing with the above post are not necessarily about my work on the server rather than myself as an individual.

Notwithstanding of what happened, I expected to come into this process with a few dislikes and disagrees, but ultimately it is a bit sad to not have any evidence apart for a personal grudge. I understand if you don't like me, but I'd hope you would not have the passive aggressiveness to get involved in an application regarding my work on the server and in the community. Even the administrators are contemplating removing the whole rating system on applications.

Last edited:

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Mikey is one of the people that you like more the more you get to know them.

I never really talked to him before we started staffing together, but seeing mikey staff, and just getting to know him both through the server and teamspeak is what have convinced me on this one.

Mikey have surely been around, and staffing long enough for VetOp, and he is staffing in his own way, a bit different than most of the others. He is more than ready for this rank, and surely got more than enough staffing experience. I believe he can handle responsibilities of this rank, and that he can be a great VetOp!

As Biblius mentioned, This is the first time Mikey is staffing SMP, and he may not be as experienced with the SMP server as every one else, this was also something I was worrying a bit to when DoD first launched, but I have seen him learning all the new commands very fast, and really getting a hold of the server quickly. I can not see that this will be a problem.

Best of Luck!

1+

• Agree
Reactions: Undefined User 7

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Not much left to be said really, I was a bit hesistant at giving a reference at first considering how little experience Mikey has at staffing SMP in comparison to our current vetops. However I changed my mind and gave him a reference as I feel his experience at staffing overall outwieghs the downsides of his time spent staffing DoD. That being said in the time that he has been staff Mikey has gained a fabulous knowledge of the commands and shown a fantastic dedication to the server. I certainly think with all that has been discussed Mikey could certainly handle the rank of vetop.

• Agree
Reactions: Undefined User 7
Status
Not open for further replies.