Map Submission: funky_run

Yorkiebarz

Reaction score
Name of map : funky_run
Creator(s) : Yorkiebarz (I'm all alone xD)
Dimensions : Well, it is 128,128,128 but I blocked a part of it off!
Round Time : 10 minute standard (Spoken for me xD)
Diggable depth of the map :its not diggable, it is a nobody build, well It needs to be
Physics : (off) standard (Spoken for me)
Which server did you build your map on? : [MineManiacs] Build Server
Number of secrets : (please don't feel that secrets are required in a map) There is non
.lvl file : I don't have one atm but I can get one, I have a converter!
Description of map. : (Optional) Colourful, blinding, awesome, funky :D It is a prorun map, there is some parkour and it needs to be a nobuild. I have put some adminium on the bottom of the walls incase anyone try's to glitch through. You can check it out by doing /g funky_run. Also, there is some messages on the wall since this was orginally created for a different server, they can be removed if need be though. I guess I just want some feedback before I bother making changes.
Screenshots of map :

Yorkiebarz

Reaction score
The other screenies don't seem to be working D; Please look at it on the build server I made it on for a better look <3

D

DarkHender

Well, as I look at your map. It has advertisement of Minemanics in giant letters..
Advertising isn't allowed.

• Agree
Reactions: Ansoro2112

Mach9824

Destroyer of Worlds
Contributor
Reaction score
I appreciate and understand the level of effort that was put into this map's creation, and as such I feel it does deserve a test run.

However my opinion about the map being a playable one is lacking. Even though it is a runner map, I feel that some of the aspects may prove to favour one side or the other a little more.

As is found in Waterworks.

But I digress. Goodjob on making a map, it's more than a lot of people can say they've done.

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
. I made a build on your guest server though. xD
That seemed quite rude of a response and kind of gives the feeling of being a troll and possibly gives a bad light of the community.
It also did not exactly have anything to do with the Map Submission in question either, so to no gain for the map maker in question.
This is only my opinion, and it doesn't really hold any weight, but really, please don't do something like that. It is rude and can come off badly for specific people, especially if it's involving people in a different community/group other than our own. It has no place, and really no catalyst to even do such a thing.

Anyways, I have also noticed no one has particularly talked about the map directly in question, which really should be a main point involving player feed-back in the thread in general.
Although the "Minemaniacs" logo/name can be an issue (partially), it really shouldn't be a main post without critique of the map itself, and really doesn't need to be pointed out twice.
Plus, it isn't necessarily advertising in and of itself.
In the screenshot it merely says "MineManiacs." This can mean a variety of different things. Minecraft has a large aspect of mining, so perhaps people who have never even heard of the community and servers can think of it involving that "mining" or breaking blocks on the map itself is a feature of some sort or etc, though that is just a bit of a far-fetched example.
Unless the map (as I have not visited it) clearly states in letters "Join (Insert server name/group here)", which happens to be "MineManiacs" in this situation, which is how I've seen advertising being produced and eventually enforced on our servers, I do not see simply having "MineManiacs" up on the wall as advertising, because really, anything can possibly be seen as advertising.
Also note, I in particular have done something similar with the writing Erikkruchten's build server/community known as Epsilon at the time in my map "Conclave," though it is only in a secret within the map itself. That can be considered in a similar circumstance to this one. I am certain other maps have just the same problem.
I don't see this as an issue.

But enough about those topics, because as I stated earlier, this should be about a critique of the map itself, shouldn't it?!.
Anyways, I do agree with what I said earlier on that there has not been as much talk on the map's quality and gameplay in general, though it is not necessarily needed now due to a nice all-around post by Mach9824 who nicely wraps up the majority of thoughts on the map, and one which I wholeheartedly agree with.

In my particular mindset, if you go through the list of map's submitted over the course of some months now, you can see that there are many "runner" orientated or inspired maps, though they may not call themselves "runner" ones at all. I feel the server in itself has been worn down with too many runner/parkour maps recently, so whenever a new one, such as this or Chilling's one just posted today, I don't feel that enthusiastic about them because of that idea, though note that is also just an opinion.

Of course, the map in general has potential, as does any map really, especially runner maps.
The map, though tall, appears to have very little walkways and areas for humans to run and escape, and platforms for the Infected to catch any humans off guard and catch them, nor room for flanking.
As this is the main mechanic for runner maps, I believe to improve on it, you should add more of these.
Also, when making these platforms / walkways / stairs, try to avoid using lava and/or water blocks, as these provide normally an undesirable obstacle that ruins many a human during avid chases between the two teams, which somehow I don't feel is quite right in maps such as this.

Op-Blocks are also important if not done so already, as it will be easy to make certain players unreachable.
Again, only a suggestion if not done already.

I would say the only real suggestion is add more platforms and (doable) jumps to provide more diversity and such to the map.

A test-run wouldn't hurt as well, because it can also test the gameplay element to see if its even reasonable for the server in the first place.

All in all, though I am late to the party on this map submission, I wish you the best of luck in its submission process and any advancements you may make on it in the future if you desire to.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
That seemed quite rude of a response and kind of gives the feeling of being a troll and possibly gives a bad light of the community.
It also did not exactly have anything to do with the Map Submission in question either, so to no gain for the map maker in question.
This is only my opinion, and it doesn't really hold any weight, but really, please don't do something like that. It is rude and can come off badly for specific people, especially if it's involving people in a different community/group other than our own. It has no place, and really no catalyst to even do such a thing.
Just wanted to make a joke, because why would an operator from another server want to submit a map here. I basically thought that the thread's intention was to make minemanics known so they can say "We are just as good as blocktopia because we have our maps in their rotation." I'm sorry if anyone was offended.

Yorkiebarz

Reaction score
I stated that the wording can be edited for blocktopias use since I like both servers and want to share my map. I also stated that it can be a nobody build if possible.I'd also love for feedback to improve it ;) Also id like to add that why does be being from a different server change anything? So what, I like both servers and I wanted to share my map, if you don't want it deny it. .-. I just wanted to share a map i really tried on with others

BETTER VIEW : http://tinypic.com/r/5cljlj/6

Yorkiebarz

Reaction score
...I would rather talk to someone else because you are bias since you are banned on MineManiacs, I made the map for everyone to enjoy. Just because its on another server it does not mean you have to disagree with me... I know blocktopia and MineManiacs have not got a great past but I seriously jsut like both servers. Also,

"We are just as good as blocktopia because we have our maps in their rotation."
This is not the case, MineManiacs and blocktopia already share some of the same maps as they were submitted to both of us. All I want is to share my map, so I'm just going to talk to someone who actually is judging the map and who does not want to stir stuff. As I said MineManiacs can be removed, it was first built for MineManiacs and it has some personal stuff on the walls. I had no intention of advertising. It's just what was on the wall. I understand if you don't want the map because I am from MineManiacs as a few staff have broke your rules etc which really they should apologyse for as it was quite a dumb and stupid thing to do and we have already made a topic on our forums about doing this, as it makes MineManiacs look bad.

Now back to the actual map, its kinda gone off course here xD! Yea, i was wondering if you can change the per build for the map? If not we would have to put it on build server for me to make it op blocks :p! (MineManiacs does not have all the op_blocks) Also, as said I will remove the stuff on the rules maybe write blocktopia there or something xD

HypeBurst

Just Fabulous
Reaction score
I personally love a lot of colour in a map, when I'm running, the colours make the whole experience quite exciting for me :). Now judging by the BETTER VIEW picture, it looks like some areas are a bit crowded while others are empty. I would suggest spreading things out a bit and maybe adding a few more walkways. Also, are the walls normal blocks? because I can imagine a lot of people just hiding in the walls when you are suppose to run. Anyway you could make the walls unable to climb, I would like :). I see potential in this.

I little bit off topic but, I think we blocktopians do appreciate you sharing your map with us and helping us grow our map variety. thank you

And just a final note, if i wanted to check out this map on the build server, what exactly would I have to do?

Yorkiebarz

Reaction score
go onto MineManiacs map build and type /g funky_run Also, The walls have adminium at the bottom and I made it impossible to jump to the walls :D but it would need to be moved to blocktopias build to op it all :D

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
Alrighty im sorry for the long wait here in getting Director response for this. I have to do some classwork and actually...go to class tonight, So ill take a closer look when I get back! Maybe add it in and give it a test run.

Damer_Flinn

Resident Asha'man
Reaction score
If you can get the actual .lvl from someone with access to the back end of the server that would be better. Saving a .dat file and converting it only saves blocks as their most basic Minecraft equivalents. (op_water would be water, op_air would be air, etc)

On the other hand, if the server you built it on uses vastly different block IDs from ours a .dat conversion may be the way to go. Either way we'll need you to post a link to the file in this thread.

Yorkiebarz

Reaction score
Ya I got it. Want me to edit the map for blocktopia first cause it has a diff servers name on it? :p

EDIT: I edited the old name and put "BLOCKTOPIA" there instead. I have the lvl file please add me on skype "Yorkiebarz" for the lvl file.