Map making competition!

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score

NOTE: Even if your map doesn't win in the map making competition, it can still be added into AoD!
Another note: If you already have a custom title/login/logout message, we can
compromise and give you more brains. Also, maps may be TAG if you wish.
PLEASE DO NOT BUILD ANY OLD MAP AND SAY IT IS BASED AROUND MINECRAFT.

radman573

Reaction score
Just a few questions:

How will the maps be judged, based solely on the video game aspect itself or a mixed combination of aesthetics, gameplay, etc? If the ladder, will the video game part be weighed on a factor of playability, uniqueness, or an overall popularity for the game itself? If that is true (the previous question) who will be the judges, all the current AoD operators or a select few? How will TAG maps be judged in comparison to standard AoD maps? Will they be weighed less in favor or more as they are usually smaller and less..... as one might say...... "in-depth" while many of the standard games (AoD) are able to sacrifice some design in order to maximize entertainment/gameplay? We wouldn't want any bias now would we :p

ealev

Leafy Op
Reaction score
Just a few questions:

How will the maps be judged, based solely on the video game aspect itself or a mixed combination of aesthetics, gameplay, etc? If the ladder, will the video game part be weighed on a factor of playability, uniqueness, or an overall popularity for the game itself? If that is true (the previous question) who will be the judges, all the current AoD operators or a select few? How will TAG maps be judged in comparison to standard AoD maps? Will they be weighed less in favor or more as they are usually smaller and less..... as one might say...... "in-depth" while many of the standard games (AoD) are able to sacrifice some design in order to maximize entertainment/gameplay? We wouldn't want any bias now would we :p

Well, to answer one part; the game IS supposed to be video game based, so if it has little to no elements of that, it will not be accepted as part of the competition. Also, of course, if you add so many video game elements that it has horrible gameplay, or wouldn't work at all in the server, that may not be accepted (if it doesn't work for the server) or it won't get far in the competition. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Infected_alien8_

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I am struck with the same urge I had ages ago on Classic to build either a massive Nova or Kabula

The Halberd would work really well too
Edit: Gah, lost the Halberd
A Drawn to Life map would be pretty awesome too
The design of the houses, buildings, scenery (and everything else) is aweshum!
Edit: Gah, lost these too

Yep, I reckon I'll either make Rapo Towers or Shadow Lair

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Would teamwork be allowed in this?
And then, divide the prizes between the two? :O

Anyway, this sounds so fun!
I might actually have a go for once.
If you choose to build in a team, I would like it be so you may divide the prizes between the two of you. So for example, one person will get the title, one person will get 2500 brains and the other person will get 2500 brains. However, this is my first map competition, so I will speak with baker and ask his opinion.
EDIT: SmoggyWaffles you can divide the prizes between you ;)
Just a few questions:

Basically what eal said, we are of course looking for maps both based around on games but also maps that will actually do well in AoD. The winners will be the maps with the best gameplay, aesthetics and how much the judges like it. But the map must be based around a video game. We aren't particularly looking for unique gameplay, but if it is unique it might earn you some bonus points.
The judges will be a few of the AoD staff members.
TAG maps will be judged as usual. They will be judged on how well they will work with TAG, aesthetics and play ability. Yes, we understand that TAG maps will of course be different from usual maps, and we will take this into consideration.

Creating a skyrim city and tweak it would be good, or?
As long as it isn't tweaked so much that it is nothing like the original city, go for it ;) We understand that most things will be tweaked slightly to work for AoD.
But remember, we need evidence that it is based around a Skyrim city.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Would teamwork be allowed in this?
And then, divide the prizes between the two? :O

Anyway, this sounds so fun!
I might actually have a go for once.
If you choose to build in a team, I would like it be so you may divide the prizes between the two of you. So for example, one person will get the title, one person will get 2500 brains and the other person will get 2500 brains. However, this is my first map competition, so I will speak with baker and ask his opinion.
Just a few questions:

Basically what eal said, we are of course looking for maps both based around on games but also maps that will actually do well in AoD. The winners will be the maps with the best gameplay, aesthetics and how much the judges like it. But the map must be based around a video game. We aren't particularly looking for unique gameplay, but if it is unique it might earn you some bonus points.
The judges will be a few of the AoD staff members.
TAG maps will be judged as usual. They will be judged on how well they will work with TAG, aesthetics and play ability. Yes, we understand that TAG maps will of course be different from usual maps, and we will take this into consideration.

Creating a skyrim city and tweak it would be good, or?
As long as it isn't tweaked so much that it is nothing like the original city, go for it ;) We understand that most things will be tweaked slightly to work for AoD.
But remember, we need evidence that it is based around a Skyrim city.
welp, some words dissapeared there, it was supposted to stand "and tweak it a bit for aod would be good, or" lol

Anyways, thanks

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score