Map Improvement Thread

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Map Name: CTF-Chrome
Suggested Improvement: Move the spawns.
Way to fix it: You can lift them so people can't invade, and zone landing area so people can't place tnt. Or, you can make it an area in the back behind the flag, but as far as I know all spawns are accessible by jumping and prone to spawnkilling from the outside.
Here's some logs from 1 game:
[2012-06-03 14:43:25] gamegabi was auto-kicked for spawn killing.
[2012-06-03 14:46:41] coolabloben was auto-kicked for spawn killing.
(I swear there was one more, czn't find it)

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
URGENT:
Map Name: CTF-Corridors
Suggested Improvement: Fix spawns, spawnkick way too easily considering area is zoned and jumping on a tnt will kick you.
Way to fix it: Raise spawns up by 1 so jumping won't hit the zone.

Alkatraz

Reaction score
URGENT:
Map Name: CTF-Corridors
Suggested Improvement: Fix spawns, spawnkick way too easily considering area is zoned and jumping on a tnt will kick you.
Way to fix it: Raise spawns up by 1 so jumping won't hit the zone.
Done.
Interesting fact:
There are 4 versions of corridors.
On floor 1 (the top one) both were fine.
Floor 2 red was broken, blue was fine.
Floor 3 blue was broken, red was fine.
Floor 4 both were broken.

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I post here a lot but this one is kinda needed (AND SORRY):
Map Name: CTF-Strongholds (oh dear)
Suggested Improvement: Flags can't be captured.
Way To Fix It: Somehow code it to be fixed, I don't know anything about coding but I remember what happens, it might help:
It showed something like $wb and $wr and something like a syntax error when I tried to cap the flag on a certain block and only sometimes. Sorry to bring it up again after it was fixed but, it's not working still D:

Inon

Roses are red, violets are blue
Donor
Reaction score
Map Name: Outposts
Suggested Improvement: decrease spawn kicks
Suggested way to fix it: raise spawn exits

Alkatraz

Reaction score
Map Name: Outposts
Suggested Improvement: decrease spawn kicks
Suggested way to fix it: raise spawn exits
Fixed dat ting!

It was flat spawns.
ENTRANCE
FLOOR

It is now raised up:
ENTRANCE
BLUE/RED
SOLID
FLOOR

In the last round, it seemed to work quite well, only one kick I saw.

On the CTF-Strongholds note:
I have half fixed it, but because our command import command (amusing I know) was broken, I couldn't fix it.
It works apparently now, so I'll try and fix the map later, it might require redoing the whole script as my changing some co-ordinates didn't quite work!

Alkatraz

Reaction score
I post here a lot but this one is kinda needed (AND SORRY):
Map Name: CTF-Strongholds (oh dear)
Suggested Improvement: Flags can't be captured.
Way To Fix It: Somehow code it to be fixed, I don't know anything about coding but I remember what happens, it might help:
It showed something like $wb and $wr and something like a syntax error when I tried to cap the flag on a certain block and only sometimes. Sorry to bring it up again after it was fixed but, it's not working still D:
Map Name: CTF:Strongholds
Suggested Improvement: Fix the Flags.
Suggested way to fix it: Stop the syntax errors on the flags
DONE!

Here is the story:
  • For some reason all the command blocks in the map were deleted, so we had to re-add them.
  • When we readded them, we forgot about the portals, and so we had to fix them.
  • Unfortunately the spawns remained broken, they spawned you next to your flag and not in the four towers.
  • The removal of the command blocks also meant the doors were broken (always shut with no buttons I think). I kept putting this off, as it was a lot of work for a relatively small change. In the end, I removed the gates opening and closing, leaving them open full time. (This may be changed in the future but not now!). When I fixed this last week, I also fixed the spawns. Unfortunately, by fixing the spawns, I broke the CTF script! As the spawns didn't have the correct command blocks in, hence all the syntax errors.
  • However today I redid the whole script. (and forgot to readd the portals, so had to endround and add them back in!)
So now it works! Woohoo! Now find a map which isn't Strongholds which needs fixing!

Thymos

Thy Friendly Moose
Reaction score
Map name: FFA - TheDivide
Suggested improvement: In the spawn, if you fall off of the platform your on, the water doesn't teleport you to your random spawn like the portal does. It's a serious issue I have with this map, because you either have to risk getting kicked by a respawn, or pillar through the opblocks to get back up.
Suggested way to fix it: Make the water under the spawn platform teleport you back to the top of the platform, or to your random spawn.

Kloud_Strife

TNT Drama Queen
Reaction score
Suggested improvement: In the spawn, if you fall off of the platform your on, the water doesn't teleport you to your random spawn like the portal does. It's a serious issue I have with this map, because you either have to risk getting kicked by a respawn, or pillar through the opblocks to get back up.
Suggested way to fix it: Make the water under the spawn platform teleport you back to the top of the platform, or to your random spawn.
Quick note for this: Yeah, it'd be helpful, but there's always /home to teleport you back (albeit with the fun five second wait time), as well as the fact that going through the opblocks is completely fine if you're stuck like that.

Thymos

Thy Friendly Moose
Reaction score
Quick note for this: Yeah, it'd be helpful, but there's always /home to teleport you back (albeit with the fun five second wait time), as well as the fact that going through the opblocks is completely fine if you're stuck like that.
The issue with /home is that 75% of all users, and 99% of all new users don't know of such a command. So that leaves them with the option of logging out and in, having to glitch, which lags the server, or respawning, which can kick them.

Alkatraz

Reaction score
Fixed, the water DID have commands in, but you only activate blocks with your head not your legs.
The water is now 2 deep so you activate the command blocks. :)
Happy Days

Reactions: Super_Goku

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Back home.
FFA-NewNarrows: People were SOMEHOW getting stuck on the bottom, and I had to fetch them a bunch. They died by pillaring up but still, maybe 2 kill layers on the bottom two blocks? Sweet.

Underground (I think that's what it's called?): People can place TNT around the borders of the spawn. Maybe OpAir the areas around spawns up?

Stieben

Reaction score
Map name: MiniLavaBolic
Suggested improvement: I've noticed that when you spawn and enter the portal (random spawns) it sometimes spawns you in the spawn box of the opposite team.
Suggested way to fix: Somehow make it so the player doesn't get spawned in the opposite team's spawn. So much clarity here.

Reactions: Super_Goku