Map Effects

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
I don't really know how hard it is to code things, and I don't know if this is possible or not. If this suggestion just simply isn't possible, feel free to delete the thread.

What I am suggesting is something that could be used in a plethora of ways. What I mean by "Map Effects" is that at a certain point in a round, maps can be altered. Mapmakers can put in a note with their map submissions saying if they want any blocks deleted or added to the map at a certain point, or if they want it to start raining or instantly become a certain time at one point, etc. Perhaps they could put certain blocks in the map and say that all of those blocks won't be there but will turn into [insert block here] at [insert time here].

Here are some examples.

• The build time is up, and suddenly the sky is darker and it starts raining. Rainstorm + Night at the end of build time.
  • There is 1 minute left and lava appears in some rooms, restricting the survivors to only certain areas. LavaFlow [Coordinates (+ Coordinates, etc.)] at 1:00
  • It is 4 minutes into the 9 minute survival time, and chests appear in some areas, keeping the survivors' spirits up with new goodies. AddChest [Coordinates (+ Coordinates, etc.] [Contents] at 5:00
  • There is 7:00 left in the survival time and suddenly, a chest turns into activated TNT, resembling a time bomb. BlockReplace [Coordinates (+ Coordinates, etc.)] at 7:00
  • BlockAppear [Coordinates (+ Coordinates, etc.)] at end of build time
  • There is 3 minutes left of survival time and blocks disappear, opening up new paths to new places. BlockDelete [Coordinates (+Coordinates, etc.)] at 3:00
There are so many clever and useful ways in which this could be used. The list is practically endless. If you like it enough, it would be fantastic if you could implement it into maps. If you don't like it, obviously, don't. If you only like certain parts, feel free to take away parts of my idea. Thanks for listening!

• Winner
Reactions: hihihilolHI

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
Dynamic maps are always more fun :D

How about nuke, which blows up the entire map at the end of the round :D
Lol, I don't think that would be pleasant, causing lag and void drops. Perhaps maybe you could make special blocks appear during the round like activated tnt.

Don't think that would work out well.

Other then that, this seems like a really cool suggestion. I'd like it if it was in the server.
Hmmm, you are right. I still think blocks should appear in places, but probably not where it would block off rooms and such.

Added an idea: at a certain time, replace present blocks with other blocks? Like, for example, 5:00 left in the survivor time, a chest turns into activated tnt (Boom Chests? Lol) or just a stone block so you would have to get to it before it goes away or explodes in your face. Come to think of it, that would resemble a time bomb, turning blocks into activated tnt. That would be an evil map :p

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Another excample of an idea for this, could be that when first hunter is choosen grass blocks turn into mycelium. This idea is good, and if it is possible (and not to hard, since almost everything is possible in minecraft) it would be nice to have at the server:)

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
Another excample of an idea for this, could be that when first hunter is choosen grass blocks turn into mycelium. This idea is good, and if it is possible (and not to hard, since almost everything is possible in minecraft) it would be nice to have at the server:)
Building onto Danni122112's idea, possibly there could be map effects that occur after kills, like, say, maybe a map effect when the number of Hunters increase to 5, another when 10, and so on. Not sure about implementing the idea into my suggestion.

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
I had an RFOB (Random Flash of Brilliance) today while playing MorseSummit. My idea to go along with this is that at certain times in the round, the "map" or the "server" could say something, like a message that is said at a certain time in the round.

My example would be this. 1:00 left in a round and then a message pops up: [AoD] Come on, survivors! Just a little bit left to go!

The message would be completely customizable, in the format of [Speaker] [Message] and then whatever color you want them to be. It probably wouldn't be that hard to code it, and it could be another flavor of creativity for mapmakers to use. Of course, it would not benefit players in any way at all, but we can have something just for fun, right?

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com
Yeah. But, currently trying to fix a few core issues before I'd consider adding extra features at this moment in time, when those are sorted I'll take a look at implementing the suggestions here, the block stuff is pretty neat, but there's a few bits to work around (such as loading the chunk if there isn't a player nearby), I don't think you can just throw a set of coords out and have it magically work. Sadly.

EDIT: Oh and Blocks to Active Entity (TNT) is very unlikely, the best you could hope for is a spawner, or Lava(!).