Luigi's Mansion (2-16 player PvP)

Catcocomics

Reaction score
Name of map: Luigi' Mansion (PvP)
Author: Catcocomics
Screenshots: https://imgur.com/bs3mGM1,jactfNU,6...ADHw2,D09XeG7,kC0qtmL,VreOsOt,9JpFDEC,4Gd3wrl
Command Block Locations: Done in single player.
Category: PvP
Worlds Required: Just the map itself.
Gamemode/Difficulty: Adventure mode with Normal difficulty
Download: Lemme take a moment to upload my first near-complete (still needs beta testing to see if it works) map... crap, media fire isn't letting me upload because I can't login to it.
Special notes: Though the map itself is -for the most part- done, it still requires beta testing to see if the command blocks work the way they are supposed to (I'd love to do this myself, but I really don't have the Four Sword in the real world to split me into four people.)
When the game ends, some Nintendo characters fitting the context of the game will speak and then credits of the people who helped build and test the map will be shown. This doesn't break anything, but other people playing might be annoyed by it for what ever reason.
This map does not currently reset itself when the game ends. This may be fixed at a later date.
Despite being greatly themed after the original Luigi's Mansion, the haunted mansion is not an exact replica and instead of hundreds of ghosts, you only get a maximum of four ghosts. I did this because the ghosts get a lot of fun toys to mess around with and are invisible (Though they can be seen via particles, items, and "floating arrows".
This map requires 1.8 to be played.

If it I possible to create a temporary 1.8 server dedicated to beta-testing this map, I would very much appreciate it.

If it is not possible or simply too much work to set up a temporary server for beta-testing, or if we find a game-breaking flaw in the map, go ahead and decline until the error I patched.

If we do beta-test this map, and it works as intended, then review as normal.

Also, trying to resolve Mediafire not allowing me to upload anything.

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
it's a good start, to be sure
some things that need fixing :

• syntax errors
  • map boundaries
  • signs have characters on them from opening the map in 1.7 then in 1.8 again, muddling up the text
  • disabling tnt damage
  • maybe removing the particles from ghosts
  • perhaps assign teams to the spawn egg mobs so they don't attack their summoner
  • visual embellishments, such as flaming players becoming visible
  • more 1.8 features, such as titles, particles, and playsounds
  • smoothing little things over, eg locked chests, proper spelling, etc

Catcocomics

Reaction score
for the things that are broken because loading 1.8 into 1.7 then back to 1.8, I'll take care of.

Things like ghosts having potion particles, well, those are fairly hard to see, especially if the ghosts turn out the lights (yes, I put a lever in the mansion that turns off every source of light except for the redstone torches). It would also be incredibly hard to find ghosts if you don't even get a hint to where they might be, until they strike, and then ghosts who keep moving all the time would be even harder to find because the hunters wouldn't be able to use the "it came from over there!" strategy. But if you want to turn your particles to minimum in this for a challenge, be my guest.

Also, it would be simpler and somewhat more comical for the ghosts to still have invisibility on when caught on fire because invisibility doesn't hide items... or any arrows that hit you.

TNT damage should remain enabled so that the 1-up targets can't be reused in the same match.

If I remember correctly, hostile mobs only attack invisible players when they are wearing armor and don't care if players have something in their hand, though I'll test this to make sure.

More 1.8 features would indeed be nice, I'll probably just use titles to say which team won though, because all particles really do is make stuff be really flashy and fancy and spoil players to make them think all good maps require 50 pounds of particles in more than half the content.
Though I might or might not add something to make arrows be more beam-like.

I'll probably get to work on this tonight or tomorrow due to thanks giving.

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
default invisibility still has a decent amount of particles
using the Ambient NBT tag reduces this somewhat, if possible to apply to players

i would reccomend using summon rather than tnt blocks so that the explosion is restricted to the target

hostile mobs only have reduced mobfollowrange for invisible players, which increases for armour equipped
ergo, teams would still be favourable (especially with witches and their splash damage)

your spiel about particles makes absolutely no sense, by the way. you haven't used any visual features at all; let alone 1.8 ones . _.

also one thing i forgot to mention was the cleanliness of using tellraw instead of say in command blocks; you can make it look very fancy \o/

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I think that if we allow witches to not harm ghost, we therefor take away encouragement for the ghosts to use hit&run tactics, which is kind of what I'm aiming for them to do: hit&run.
Arguably, I did make the ghosts powerful, but they lose a very strong advantage if even one arrow strikes them.
I also tested to see how witches reacted to invisible players; I only got attacked after I punched one, and they didn't even notice me when I held an item.

Basically, I want the hunters to work as a team to take down each ghost one-by-one while having the ghosts use hit&run tactics to wear down the hunters and avoid getting "flashed".
Also, leaving the potion particle to be visible means that ghosts have to keep on their toes and prevents one ghost from simply going AFK for 20 minutes and coming back to see that no one has even found them.

Now, for the TNT, I'm pretty sure there are only 3 blocks in the entire map, each of which is completely confined to it's target (and if not, the most they could do is leave a small crater at the base of their 1-up tower or in a tree).
I probably won't replace the TNT with anything, but I might add something to replace the TNT and structures if a self-resetting map is mandatory.

Now, I know that people are really fascinated by all the new 1.8 things that people can do now, but if I do add additional particle to this map, it will be the last thing I do because I really don't care as much for flash than for function. I still might do something like make bats have a smoke trail though.

Again, this map is still kind of in a sort of Beta stage, and I still need testing to make sure it's playable. Expect to see an update on this map in a week or two. Still working out problem such as ghosts not being able to spawn mobs anywhere they like due to adventure mode.

JayJay

The Melon
Reaction score
Okay, I've looked at your images and they look pretty awesome! I think this map deserves a trial because we can't just judge your map on Pictures. So, for now, I would love to see this map on trial. Good luck!

Catcocomics

Reaction score
By, "On trial", does this mean we're simply going to play it as it is a few times, or do I get to work on the problems after each match? Either way, I have made some changes to the map (like adding more content to the roof and making the "black out" switch have special effects.) which may or may not be in the version people can currently download. I'll go ahead and post an updated map if the one here is outdated.

And here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/download/far7himehnpffe6/Luigi's+Mansion.zip

Last edited: