Let's revive Escape

Red Guy

Reaction score
The Server has been dead since winter last year but there's still Hope!
This is an Emergency Call to the OG's, we need to group up and bring the Server back to life.
Paige and Chandler have already desperately tried to revive it, sadly their Attempts failed, this is tragic but we can do it.
PLUS the Server Rating went from 5 Points in the Garry's Mod Server Browser to 3, if we don't do anything all Hope will be lost.

-Your main Man Blue Guy

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Ideas for new maps, playermodels and/or guns here would be appreciated too since I think a big refresh might be just what we need!

I'm also considering buying this: https://www.gmodstore.com/scripts/view/3223/terrorbot-ai-for-ttt

Yay/Nay? (Bearing in mind the price is $25 I'll need a huge Yay to consider buying it)

• Agree
Reactions: Lux and Mastersten

Red Guy

Reaction score
Ideas for new maps, playermodels and/or guns here would be appreciated too since I think a big refresh might be just what we need!

I'm also considering buying this: https://www.gmodstore.com/scripts/view/3223/terrorbot-ai-for-ttt

Yay/Nay? (Bearing in mind the price is $25 I'll need a huge Yay to consider buying it)
It's like an imaginary Friend you think he's real but then when you want to add him you realise that he's not real and it's just a bot.
And it would just take up player slots so a Nay from me

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
It's like an imaginary Friend you think he's real but then when you want to add him you realise that he's not real and it's just a bot.
And it would just take up player slots so a Nay from me
Well we'd activate it only when the server is empty to encourage people to still join and play without needing others to start the snowball effect if that makes sense - when real people joined, say more than 5, we'd deactivate it

Plus, I don't think the bots do take up any player slots

Reactions: Red Guy

Red Guy

Reaction score
Well we'd activate it only when the server is empty to encourage people to still join and play without needing others to start the snowball effect if that makes sense - when real people joined, say more than 5, we'd deactivate it

Plus, I don't think the bots do take up any player slots
Wait but if they don't take up Spots how do you you encourage people to join because if they wouldnt take up spots and the server is empty it would still say its empty even with bots but if its not like that its a good idea

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Wait but if they don't take up Spots how do you you encourage people to join because if they wouldnt take up spots and the server is empty it would still say its empty even with bots but if its not like that its a good idea
Well rather than being an illusion of playercount to draw people in, it'd be for people who want to play TTT but noone else is online - you could play with the bots with maybe one other person for a bit before other people join (probably your friends or other regulars of the server), as opposed to not joining the server because of a lack of players. So it's like a way to fix the 'TTT is only worth joining if others are playing" vicious cycle effect if that makes sense. Whether or not it's worth $25 though I'm not sure

• Agree
Reactions: Red Guy

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Well rather than being an illusion of playercount to draw people in, it'd be for people who want to play TTT but noone else is online - you could play with the bots with maybe one other person for a bit before other people join (probably your friends or other regulars of the server), as opposed to not joining the server because of a lack of players. So it's like a way to fix the 'TTT is only worth joining if others are playing" vicious cycle effect if that makes sense. Whether or not it's worth $25 though I'm not sure
(To further clarify, it'd be a known fact for our regulars that we have this addon in place)

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Vote yea but let me help because $25 is quite a bit
Let's all donate a bit of money to Chandler
Well that's very kind of you but I'd feel really uncomfortable getting help money-wise. If I pay for it myself then if I fail at running the server backend for whatever reason then I've only wasted my own money - if other people start paying for things then it's a lot of pressure on my end to keep the server alive and doing well, since people have paid for something on the server to be used (obviously there's already pressure since people would be disappointed if I didn't do what I was supposed to, or to the standard I'm supposed to, but there'd be even more serious pressure since it'd involve money) - if the server struggles to get back alive or I struggle to do my part and meet everyone's desires, people would be concerned that they paid for a server to get back in shape but their money was wasted since the server didn't succeed in reviving anyway, and then they might blame me (and maybe it'd be my fault) and maybe I'd owe them money (even if they didn't demand the money I'd probably feel as though I owed it them) and it'd just get a bit messy.

Aqua

Does anybody remember laughter?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Website
tehurn.com
Well that's very kind of you but I'd feel really uncomfortable getting help money-wise. If I pay for it myself then if I fail at running the server backend for whatever reason then I've only wasted my own money - if other people start paying for things then it's a lot of pressure on my end to keep the server alive and doing well, since people have paid for something on the server to be used (obviously there's already pressure since people would be disappointed if I didn't do what I was supposed to, or to the standard I'm supposed to, but there'd be even more serious pressure since it'd involve money) - if the server struggles to get back alive or I struggle to do my part and meet everyone's desires, people would be concerned that they paid for a server to get back in shape but their money was wasted since the server didn't succeed in reviving anyway, and then they might blame me (and maybe it'd be my fault) and maybe I'd owe them money (even if they didn't demand the money I'd probably feel as though I owed it them) and it'd just get a bit messy.
I mean the staff already give up their time to help the server, and it's not as if it's /your/ server, every regular member should be able to pitch in if they want to help.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I mean the staff already give up their time to help the server, and it's not as if it's /your/ server, every regular member should be able to pitch in if they want to help.
Well if it gets to the point where there is a support for the addon with no objections from anyone but I'm not willing to pay, and someone's completely aware of all the risks and how their money not going to waste is semi-dependant on a volunteer who could at any time decide they don't want to work on the server anymore, resign, and, since there are no replacements, the server never gets updated, shuts down and their money goes to waste and for some reason still wants to pay for the addon then I guess I can't stop them because it's their server and if they want to pay for an addon then who am I to stop them, but I'd still be very much uncomfortable with it because I'd feel 1000x more pressure to work on the server and I can't garuntee a 100% level of commitment at this point in my life, so I'll just end up paying for it myself probably.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, this thing you are "considering" to buy, is a one time investment of $25, and simulates players or something?
Yes, it's a one time investment and it gives bots to play the game with so that the server isn't boring when only 2 players are online, so people are more likely to join the game with fewer people, which means more people will see the server has players, which means more people will join our server and (hopefully) stick around.

HKCaper

Almighty Goat
Reaction score
I don't play ttt, and don't really intend in doing so (hence people who do play don't have to value my opinion), but that sounds like a good idea to remain active. Plus $25 is not that much imo (but than again, I would not chip in either).

Reaction score
Don't buy the AI for TTT.

Here's why:

The bots DO have a unique ID but valve still sees them as a bot if the server is empty and u have the bots in the server will still say it has 0 players.

EDIT: Also not sure but im pretty sure Gametracker disables tracking of stats with servers that use bots.

People will not join servers which are empty so the bot addon which you think will get you players won't get you anything sadly enough.

Also some other negatives; they can't use T or D weapons they get stuck sometimes and or walk off edges + u need to create your own Navmesh for maps that are not listed in the list on the addon page which will make it hard to try out new maps with this addon enabled as each bot will just get stuck, spawn in walls etc.

+ its 25$

Not worth it.

With that being said i would love to join back and help "revive" escape restart again.

Love,

KJ

• Thank You
Reactions: Infected_alien8_

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
When the server was in the top 1000, what were you guys doing to get to that?
Nothing in particular, we never really 'tried' to get in the top 1000 or anything, we just played the server purely out of fun, with the idea that when the server died, that was that, and we'd done our job to provide a fun server for while people here wanted to play on one but that was all our job was. We added things that people suggested when they suggested them, occasionally had events and map shuffles and were fortunate enough to have a really nice group of people form on the server where, I think, people felt very welcomed and happy to be there. And so, because of this, we just kind of automatically grew and attracted players and somehow became one of the biggest TTT servers about. Then, as is expected, people gradually got bored, and instead of having that be solved by new people automatically joining and replacing them, that didn't happen - those who joined just didn't decide to stay for whatever reason, the server wasn't filled with the same people anymore, certain dynamics broke down, I left for school so changes and events were much slower, staff all became busy/disinterested at the same time so for those who did want to stay on the server it was filled with RDMers and the server died.

Right now I'm working on a big overhaul - I've added a ton of new traitor and detective items, gone through a massive list of maps, explored them all and rated them, decided on what I think are the most suitable maps for a TTT server, a few of us played on the server yesterday to test all the new stuff, today I've gone through them all and reflected on each addon's performance in the tests yesterday and decided what to keep and what not to keep (for now at least), and now I'm trying to fix an issue I suddenly have with a few of the addons that I'm not 100% sure how to fix, but I think I know how to fix and am trying to fix right now. Then, once it's all ready, I'm planning on making a little trailer (primarily for fun tbh) advertising the new stuff, messaging people to invite them to play and just see how it goes. If people want to play then we'll do our best to make their experience fun, if they don't, they don't, I guess, which is fine by me and I don't see a point in trying to revive a server that people have moved on from because to get a TTT server to work in the first place you need a reasonable amount of people right at the start of the server to play (like the GANG at the beginning of this server with notty and oog and hip and elliot and tri and aika and fruit and others whose names haven't come to me in this instant), and then you gradually automatically build up more players as people see your server in the global list, see it has players, and decide to join, and decide to stay. Noone joins empty servers so if the people we know right now don't want to play, I don't see how we can make it work, nor do I see why we'd want to anyway, unless people are wanting TTT to bring EscapeRestart new players.

There's always the chance that a random group of friends will decide to play on our empty server, and that will spark the life of it - funnily enough this is exactly how our server worked; it died before Christmas 2 years ago, and then I remember noticing a random group of friends regularly playing on the server on the week of Christmas, and I watched the data and slowly more people started to join them, and I joined them, and more people joined and tada we had a playerbase (wow what a Christmas gift/miracle!!!!!) and it all went up from there, but that's just a chance that could randomly happen if we keep the server online and updated, which can easily be done.

Where else can you guys advertise the server?
As far as I know, there's only a Gmod server reddit where we could advertise (https://www.reddit.com/r/GMServers/), but since TTT is on a global server list (much like classic minecraft used to be) I don't imagine anyone really uses it to find a server, nor do I imagine advertising would really work, but there's no harm in trying it once I've sorted the overhaul out I suppose.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Don't buy the AI for TTT.

Here's why:

The bots DO have a unique ID but valve still sees them as a bot if the server is empty and u have the bots in the server will still say it has 0 players.

EDIT: Also not sure but im pretty sure Gametracker disables tracking of stats with servers that use bots.

People will not join servers which are empty so the bot addon which you think will get you players won't get you anything sadly enough.
Well rather than get players to join because they see the server has players [bots], the idea was that we'd have the addon so that there was less of a reluctancy to play based on low playercount from people within our community, because they'd know we have a bot system and so they could still play a decent round of TTT with say, 3 players, and so they'd join the server and start the initial snowball effect that occurs with TTT servers, but the other stuff you pointed out about it;

Also some other negatives; they can't use T or D weapons they get stuck sometimes and or walk off edges + u need to create your own Navmesh for maps that are not listed in the list on the addon page which will make it hard to try out new maps with this addon enabled as each bot will just get stuck, spawn in walls etc.

+ its 25$

Not worth it.

With that being said i would love to join back and help "revive" escape restart again.

Love,

KJ
is very interesting and I wasn't aware of any of that, so thank you for letting us know <3. Question - how easy is it to make Navmesh for maps? Like, would an amateur like me be capable of doing it or nah?