Keep Primordia Beautiful.

Mac27

Your local Macintosh XXVII
Reaction score
Greetings ladies and gentlemen. I have been roaming the Primordian lands in my Mac27-mobile and it has come to my attention that a number if things within these fair lands can be adjusted to further Primordia's stunning landscapes and buildings. So, I have decided I shall take a stab at improving players building skills and knowledge of how to keep a Minecraft landscape looking pretty.

First off, trees. Trees are a very important resource within Minecraft (if not the most important) therefore it is expected that players will harvest them. So chaps, I bring forth, protip 1!

1.) Cut down trees fully.
This is one I see far too often, people, cut down your damned trees properly. Leaving the tops of trees floating is not only hideous, but it will also warrant a warning. I shall let this graphic explain.

This is a happy tree. It's happy because it still has it's full trunk.

This is a sad tree. It is sad because a lazy player has come along and half cut it down. Do not leave trees like this or you will be warned by a staff member. Repeated offences could cause a ban.

Just for the record, chopping down a tree properly does not make the tree sad, because it gets an exciting future as a stick, a plant, or charcoal.

2.) Greif. Bear in mind, not only does this make the landscape look terrible, it also earns you a ban.

There isn't a whole lot of point going on about this one, Griefer's gonna grief. However, it still ruins and landscape so we shall converge on the issue.

Imagine a lovely house in the woods, birds chirping peacefully while spring melt from the snow caped mountains above flows down a rocky stream. Various farm animals frolic in the nearby meadows and birds swoop down to scavenge in the lush grass. Sounds pretty doesn't it? Well it was, until a Griefer arrived.
Ugly sight isn't it? Well I know something worse!

It's simple chaps, Horrid Landscape and a Ban=House+Greif-Care+Anger. Simply put, you greif, you ruin the landscape and get banned.

3.) Cobblestone Boxes
We've all seen them right? They serve their purpose well, however they are quite frankly hideous. So I am going to show you a few simple tips on how to make them look a tad better using a tiny amount of materials that are chuffing easy to obtain.

This is the common cobble box.

It's pretty ugly, just broken up stone and a wood door. Easy and fast to make yes, however if you have the extra time there are a few easy things to do to make your house prettier, and safer.

Step One - Remove some of that cobble!

Plain and simple, trade some cobblestone for wood. Bear in mind you could use logs, or even smooth stone. Placing the block around the perimeter of the building is your best bet. Strips or whatever tend to look cheap and nasty.

Step Two - Expand the dimensions!

The easiest way to do this is to add a cover over the doorway, it's cheap and looks good. Use fences as support posts. You'll also find using half blocks for the roof of the cover look more elegant and much less bulky.

Step Three - Add the pretty touches!

Add windows to places around the building, often placing more half blocks as covers over the windows. This adds another dimension to building. Use more fences to border the cover and if you the have the materials, smooth stone half blocks stacked make great out door tiles. Use fences again to add supports too the window covers.

We all agree the bottom house looks better than the first? I think so. Using only about 20 logs and 64 smooth stone blocks (optional) we have given our little shelter more depth and sexiness in around 10 minutes.

4.) Sustainable Forestry
Trees are in the Minecraft world to be logged, it's one of the first things we as players do. Chop down some trees. However, it has come to my attention that the number of trees being cut down, is vastly higher than the number re-planted.

Take this lovely green forest, plenty of wood here. It's a prime place to find some wood.

So Mr Hatchet comes along and does his business, and the landscape changes to the all too common wasteland.

This type of scene is very common around Port Bastia. As new players destroy the tree population without re-planting the saplings that come off the decaying leaves. This is what we should see if we want sustainable forests

It takes all of 2 minutes, and within 20 or so those saps will have grown into trees and will be ready to harvest. Then if the next player comes along and replants the saps as well, presto. We have sustainable forestry :)

5.) Keep the terrain smooth!
Picture this: Your running from a horde of creepers and zombies, you have no where to shelter, but you have a brainwave! You dig a quick hole into the ground and climb down covering up the roof as you go. Seams a perfect little shelter doesn't it? It is, and it can keep the terrain natural too; as long as you follow a few easy steps.

So, your in the story mentioned above and you dig your hole, and that's fine but when 5 or 6 players do this it starts to look like a rabbit infestation.

This is the type of thing I'm talking about, it gets pretty messy and ugly. However chaps do not fret! This can easily be resolved. Take this scenario: Here is your little night shelter in the soil.

So after the sun rises your ready to get on your merry way. There is one very simple thing for you to do that keeps the terrain looking nice.

Cover it up! The grass will grown back and there you have it, looks no different to what it did!

6.) Clean up after yourself!

So it's a very common sight around spawns and common areas. Crafting benches and furnaces everywhere. This is no good! Messy I tell you!
Bastia and surrounding areas are littered with this, it's not too hard to remove the bench after your done, so make an effort to do so if you'd be so kind :)

This is the type of thing I am talking about:

Messy huh? With effort though, we can remove this kind of mess and keep Port Bastia's surrounding countryside looking clean and green!

Numberplay

Reaction score
Numberplay approves of this. Another thing I would add is that I commonly finds abandoned workbenches/furnaces around the map. Is it that hard to remove them once you're done?

EonLatias

Reaction score
I'm extremely picky about stuff like this. In single player I would always go out of my way to make it look neat (if the tree is too tall, I'd place a log below me to reach the next), of course it sometimes gets TOO neat (I won't ever quarry sand. I'll only take it from places that would still seem natural after). I never realized these things were such an issue with other people until I came on multi player. Every time I cut a tree down, I always make sure I don't leave that spot until I get a sapling and plant another in the EXACT same spot.

Of course, this is important, all of it. I loathe the ugly things, so I always preserve nature. And yes, I agree that the workbenches, etc. should be an issue.

Mac27

Reaction score
Numberplay approves of this. Another thing I would add is that I commonly finds abandoned workbenches/furnaces around the map. Is it that hard to remove them once you're done?
Yeah I was planning to add a section similar to this. Might call it, "Clean up after yourself" :3

DaniNomsYou

Reaction score
Very nice job, well written and it does point out a lot of things I've noticed around the server.

Cobble boxes are bad, but what about those really huge all-wooden-plank-boxes? :c And unfinished houses being left behind?

Mac27

Reaction score
Very nice job, well written and it does point out a lot of things I've noticed around the server.

Cobble boxes are bad, but what about those really huge all-wooden-plank-boxes? :c And unfinished houses being left behind?
Mhm, wooden boxes are just as bad as cobble really, keep that in mind chaps. Same tips apply, expend dimensions etc. Unfinished houses would come under category 6, if a player doesn't want the house, they should clean it up and take the supplies on. Thanks for bringing up those points too.

C

Ciphered

This was very needed. Nice job, Mac. You never cease to appease me.