Just some tips I'd like to share

Terre936

Reaction score
I've been playing on AoD for a while now, I just felt like making this thread. I'll share a few "tips" that could help you guys get better at AoD.

1: Choosing who to fight
Let's say you aren't too good at pvp, and you see someone who you could probably take down. If you know you can take down the person without dying with the current gear you have, go for it. Now, the mistake people usually make here is that they attack without knowing if there are any people around them. You don't know if by the time you're near to killing the person, someone else will be attacking from behind, resulting in you only killing one person or worse, killing nobody. Always make sure there isn't anyone nearby. If the person chooses to run away towards someone you know is a hunter, don't bother, because by the time you catch up to them, they'll most likely have drawn attention to the hunter and now you're being chased.

2: Strafing, Comboing.
These two are the key to killing someone with full iron with just a wooden sword. It takes a while to learn how to strafe, and takes longer to learn how to combo. Strafing, basically, is moving more effectively so that the opponent deals less hits on you. There's left to right strafing, circle strafing, back to front, or a combination of all three. (My favorite one) A combo is when you deal two or three hits on someone. So when you land one hit, you land another about a second after. This prevents the person from getting one hit on you, because if you successfully got the first hit without him hitting you, you are more likely to strike the next hit as it's more predictable where he'll land. A triple combo would require faster clicking and faster reflexes. It's a lot easier to do on other servers where the knockback is a lot less, but it's still effective on AoD. You can still do a triple combo if you have them in the corner. You can try to learn how to combo using a mob like a zombie. Don't worry though, it takes a while to learn.

3: F5
I can't express how helpful this is. It's literally one of the most useful things I've learned to use. Learning how to quickly use F5 will make you A LOT harder to sneak attack. I've gotten use to constantly use F5 to prevent any sneak attacks. Using F5 also helps a lot on maps like PoolHall. Of course, you wouldn't want to fight using F5, so if you are going to learn how to use it, switch to your normal point of view when you're about to fight someone. I know it's tough to get your hands use to the position, but having "R" as my sprint key made it a lot easier for me, as all I had to do was stretch my pointer finger towards F5.

4: Bow Tactic
Well, here's a neat trick to prevent your opponent from hitting you for about half a second. (Even if he was in range, he still wouldn't be able to hit) Someone's coming straight at you, and you know that they won't do any type of strafing. When the person is about 6 blocks away, quickly take out your bow and shoot him with it, but only charge it for about half a second. When the person gets hit, quickly come at the person because it will give the person a delay of half a second before they can hit you again. It's better to strafe as soon as you get the hit on the person, as it's almost imposibble to get a hit on them, unless you're really good.

I'll edit this thread sometime tomorrow if I come up with anymore tips.

MustabearXD

Reaction score
4: Bow Tactic
You forgot to mention bow spamming, it is extremely effective when used properly. When someone is charging at you, and they aren't strafing properly just shoot you bow with a 1 sec delay multiple times. This is only effective as long as you manage to keep hitting the shoots, as it chips away their health as they sword rush you. Once you have landed 3 or 4 timed shots, rush in for the kill.
Tl;dr Your bow is a machine gun.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Danni122112

Comp

AoD Dev and Admin!
Tech Lead
Community Admin
Admin
Developer
AoD Staff
Reaction score
Something I would like to add, which I'm sure most people are aware of, is regarding bows.
If somebody is running sideways to you, or strafing while running towards you, aim where the person will be once the arrow has been has got to that player. It may sound obvious but I see a lot of people aiming with their bow where I am not where I will be, resulting in a miss.