Ivory Ward

D

DieLorelei

Name of map: Ivory Ward (ivoryward)
Creator: DieLorelei
Dimensions: W-64 H-32 L-64
Round Time: 10 (maybe 8... I'm not a good judge of time)
Diggable depth of the map: 1
Physics: On
Which server did you build your map on?: My own
Number of secrets: 5 (1 true secret, 2 not so secret secrets, that each have 1 more not so secret secret attached, and 4 are dead ends)
.lvl file: http://www.mediafire.com/?j6n3y8c43plc10x
Description of map: A map with abit of freedom and lots of running. This now abandoned hospital is where it all began. On the second floor emergency room, Patient 0 turned full infected. The hospital itself harbors a dark secret, but the infected regions have since then been quarantined and the hospital is now safe to explore... Or is it... (note to ops: the bottom half is free to edit ((ie. jumpcourses)))
Screenshots of map:http://imgur.com/a/3NiLe#0

D

DieLorelei

I thought so too, I've been seeing them around in maps anyways... And these are really kinda obvious, I'll just name them...
Theres one in both of the big rooms on each side of the bottom floor marked by a door_stair... one goes to a small room, and that small 9x9 room has another secret which is just a slightly bigger room... just griefing the floor will find it... the other side goes to the big room in the screenshots with the striped walls and random floor, thats a runner room... If a human manages to run around the striped walls and make it to the end before times up, (which isnt easy, especially if being followed mind deleting the blocks that slows you down) they can watervator up to the outside, which is 1 block path dead end anyways... and the last secret is just behind the giant red plus sign in the middle of the wall, and it goes to behind the desk, which is a dead end, and puts them in eye sight...

D

DarkHender

I LOVE this idea! This map fits right in with "zombie survival" I'm super excited, I hope we can test it out!

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
I like the abandoned Hospital idea, But I thought Zombie Survival was taking away secrets
Pretty sure only like, large game-breaking secrets, or really ones that can easily make humans win the large majority of time, or those similar are being removed (I remember seeing this somewhere, though not certain where it was.), and small, little cool though very obvious secrets are being kept? Pretty sure that's whats going on so take that with a pinch of salt. ._. (plus, hospitals, especially in zombie epidemics, feel large and complex and you should get lost in em, right? So why not have some little twists and turns if they aren't that bad ;) )

I think the map looks nice.
The only other hospital-map I can remember is--- Mercy? Mercy Hospital right? But that map is-- quite large!
I think the smaller nature of this map could give some interesting gameplay.
Though with that thought, kind of worried that its area may prove challenging to hide/whatever---
But-- Hospitals are the worst place to be during a Zombie Outbreak as that's where they all come from!

Eh Lets just say I think it'll do fine. ;)

Reactions: 1 person
D

DieLorelei

I think the map looks nice.
The only other hospital-map I can remember is--- Mercy? Mercy Hospital right? But that map is-- quite large!
I think the smaller nature of this map could give some interesting gameplay.
Though with that thought, kind of worried that its area may prove challenging to hide/whatever---
But-- Hospitals are the worst place to be during a Zombie Outbreak as that's where they all come from!

Eh Lets just say I think it'll do fine. ;)
Mercy was insane... But yeah, this map is probably 1/3 the actual size of Mercy, and I'm not so sure about survival rate either... Time might have to be 8 or less if its too hard... that seems reasonable... but most of the main hospital isnt op_air and building to help to run away or get around easier is allowed, which should make it alittle bit better than most small maps... That and with the bottom portion of the map, with the runner room, it improves chances even greater...

I tried to keep the newer size of the server in mind, the rooms on the sides have potential for hiding spots and quick escapes, and the bigger rooms for faster get aways... I think it will be fine...

• Agree
Reactions: JKangaroo

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
Pssst, ethical1337, tomorrow is only an hour away, and I still can't wait for you test this. =[

Love the feel of the map, especially the pillars in the main hall. Adding glass around it to light it up, giving off a shining look. I also like how you didn't give much room for hiding, as it would really ruin the back story and main feel you're supposed to get from the map. Good work :roflmao:

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
Ok first trial run and I found some issues. First off was my lack of reading. We are trying to remove secrets from maps. Which is an issue. In terms of space to run/hide there is very minimal. Ill keep it in for a bit more trial but without the secrets I find it will be very difficult for humans to survive.

D

DieLorelei

I first started it back in November, when the server was virtually dead and when everyone was making the miniature maps. I made a majority of it back then, keeping all that in mind... I finished it the other day taking into consideration that i was still seeing lots of secrets on maps, and that the server size had increased which was when i added the bottom half to the map, to give it more space, since with a little exploring, those are both very easy to find... I came in in the middle of the first trial to see how it was going and saw that no one even entered most of the rooms... The door_stairs in the main room need to be replaced with regular stairs(not all since some bar the windows), and the iron on the second floor was suppose to be door_iron to retain its running room and prevent spleefing, to make it easier... The entire hospital portion is regular air, so building is allowed and gives humans the chance to make shortcuts across the room, or build obstacles to trip up zombies and help them escape, possibly even making hiding places...

But in other words it was being played the exact opposite of how I had designed it, imagining it would be >.<... Its alittle different than most maps, but I think with more time, players would get used to it and adjust to finding new ways to survive and avoid zombies... Different players, and a different number of players changes the map entirely, giving it entirely different obstacles.

If Winx is still working on the smaller map rotation with fewer players, it would fit nicely into the server with the bottom taken out/blocked off... With a more populated crowd, its hard to say, but i believe once they get to know the map, the bottom part is essential to survival...
Also, since its a hospital, its a good excuse to use powerpill ;)...

In any case, I'm glad its getting a chance, and its entirely up to you all to decide what to do with it :) ... I can only hope you see the same potential in it that I did while making it.

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
For sure with the map size thing. We aren't throwing out small maps because they are small. They may not be incorporated before the new code but for sure after it.