Invitation to Mafia Championship

Who do you think should represent us for the 4th season Mafia Championship?

• Enderfive

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Samlen

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Aqua

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Samlen

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I've been busy so I haven't been able to post this, but I recently got a PM from Thingyman about an opportunity for our community to compete in a multi-forum mafia competition. To keep it simple, I'll post what he said here.
Link to the invitation (if you prefer to view it in a separate window):https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E9x7nJkSPmv1ZtSKFdSmLsvD4DQoX13i2MA9VG5p4W4/edit

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 4)

Hello everyone! :)

I would very much like to invite your community to take part in Season 4 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual online tournament series that pits representatives from various forum Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and become their “Champion”.

Season 1 ran in 2013-2014, while Season 2 and Season 3 ran in 2015 and 2016, respectively. As of Season 3, a total of 160 communities have been represented in the Mafia Championship, making it the largest cross-forum event on the Internet.

I hope that all this sounds very exciting to you guys :)

1. Do you accept the invite?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to me before April 16 to ensure yourselves a spot. If you need more time than this to think about whether you wish to participate, let me know and I can extend the deadline.

If you agree to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 23. If this is too soon for you, again, just let me know :)

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes
  • You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
  • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
  • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.
  • Your representative should be able to play in English.

2. Season 4 Format

The tournament structure
  • 135 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
  • 9 Qualifying Games will be played consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. 1 player will advance directly to the Finale Game from each Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. I.e. 9 of the 15 finalists will be found this way.
  • A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 3 will along with me discuss and vote to determine a group of 30 wildcard players who will play in 2 Semi Final Wildcard Games. From each of these two games, three players will directly advance to the Finale Game.
  • The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall hold the title of Season 4 Champion.

The setup

MOUNTAINOUS:
12 Vanilla Townies (regular villagers)
3 Mafia Goons (regular werewolves)
We’re going back to basics for Season 4. Each season we’re changing it up, and for this season it’s finally time to play without any power roles or abilities at all. Pure mafia. You have only yourself and your reading/bluffing abilities to count on.

Relevant mechanics info
  • Day start.
  • Deadline Lynch w/ Option for Majority starting Day 2. I.e. when day timer runs out, person with most votes will be lynched. However, day can also be ended early (starting Day 2) if there is ever a majority of votes on one person.
  • If there is a tied lynch, one of the tied players will be randomly lynched.
  • No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
  • Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize them into games with deadlines that suit their preferences).
  • Thread is locked during Night Phases.

3. Season 4 Timeline
The first Qualifying Game is currently set to start April 24th. Additional games will take place in the 1-3 months following. I will create a Doodle and find out the best times to start the various games so that preferably everyone gets to play during a time that suits them well.

Kind regards,
Thingyman
Long story short, I'm creating this thread for people to sign-up for the chance to represent us. As long as enough interest is shown, we can confirm our participation by April 16. Everyone interested in the chance to represent us should respond to this thread stating your intent to participate AND a statement that you have thoroughly read the information contained in the spoiler.

Sign-ups are now closed and you can vote for our representative until the 23!

Enderfive Samlen and Aqua have all signed up for being a representative with Infected_alien8_ as a reserve. Cast your vote on who think will lead us to victory in season 4 of the Mafia Championship!

Last edited:

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Honestly I'll sign up if I can join one of the later games (so I'm not in school), I can give further details if needed. But if someone like ender or tim or notty changes their mind or some other of the many people much more skilled to deal with this than me then I'll withdraw (because I would rather they were entered and also I know they would get nominated anyway so I'd be rejected:( ), but if noone else wants to then I will because whynot!!

(also I've read through the big thing)

Reactions: digi

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score

Samlen

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Honestly I'll sign up if I can join one of the later games (so I'm not in school), I can give further details if needed. But if someone like ender or tim or notty changes their mind or some other of the many people much more skilled to deal with this than me then I'll withdraw (because I would rather they were entered and also I know they would get nominated anyway so I'd be rejected:( ), but if noone else wants to then I will because whynot!!

(also I've read through the big thing)
I think you'd have to be able to join one of the qualifying game sstarting on April 24th. We can ask Thingyman for more clarification.
I'm currently taking a break from school this quarter so if everyone else is too busy I could always nominate myself.

Reactions: Infected_alien8_

Thingyman

Reaction score
There will be 9 qualifying games. Your rep plays in just one of these. Some of them begin as late as June (but no later than that month). So as long as you have time somewhere in that time period from April 24 until late June, you'll be good - I'll make sure you're slotted into a game that suits your schedule well enough :)

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
There will be 9 qualifying games. Your rep plays in just one of these. Some of them begin as late as June (but no later than that month). So as long as you have time somewhere in that time period from April 24 until late June, you'll be good - I'll make sure you're slotted into a game that suits your schedule well enough :)
oh, that's nice

Samlen you can put me down as an option then, i'll definitely be available one way or the other by june

Reactions: Thingyman

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I mean I'm willing but I'd rather you went since you're way better than me and you'll get voted to go anyway so to save myself from the feeling of rejection I'm just not on the list

But Samlen if nobody (including you) is bothered, I wouldn't mind being the person who steps in if the main person has to drop out, but if anyone else wants to do that then I'll withdraw this again

Reactions: Enderfive

Thingyman

Reaction score
Update on The Mafia Championship

Exciting news: We are expanding to 150 participating communities, which is more than last season. In fact, we may even go for 165 communities depending on how some invitations go.

On that note, if you know of a community that might be interested in participating and isn't on the list in the linked post, let me know and I'll be happy to give them an invitation: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...Time-Is-Now!?p=1070949&viewfull=1#post1070949

Since none of the representatives chosen at this point have indicated that they can only play if their game starts April 24, I have made the decision that the qualifying phase won't begin until May 1st in order to allow me more time to get everything properly organized and to get all representatives properly prepared. This will have no impact on the overall schedule for this season; the qualifying phase will still be wrapped up by early July, after which we dive into the wildcard games followed by the finale game.

Finally, to communities that haven't elected a representative yet: Remember that your deadline for electing a representative is April 23.

• Thank You
Reactions: SirComputer

Samlen

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Been so busy I forgot to start the poll on who we're electing for our representative! I'll add the poll to this thread and hopefully we can wrap this up by 22/23.

Thingyman

Reaction score
UPDATE ON MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP

Originally, the plan was for this season to feature 135 communities. We will now have 165 participating communities, which means that this season alone we will have more different communities represented than all other seasons combined. Approximately 60 communities are participating for the very first time. Of the returning communities, about a dozen of them are resending a previous representative, while the rest are all sending fresh faces.

As a result of how big this season has gotten, we'll have more games to look forward to than ever before. We will have 11 qualifying games, 2 wildcard games and 1 finale game = 14 games in total.

All kinds of communities are partipating. Besides the sites dedicated specifically to mafia, we have forums dedicated to popular entertainment, sports, poker, board games, online games, video games, role playing, LEGO, personality type testing, stick figure animations, science, atheism, music, mathematics, comics, students, etc. Some of these communities started playing mafia more than a decade ago; Others just started this year.

Despite this being a forum event, we will also have communities that play the game via various chat clients (Discord, Telegram, IRC, custom, etc.) and via webcam (with games often streamed on Twitch.tv). And not least, there are communities centered around mafia game variants that you can buy on Steam (Town of Salem and Throne of Lies).

This season will also have the biggest international scope yet. For the very first time we will have representatives from Romania, Hungary, Chile, Portugal, Ukraine and Czechia as well as our first person representing a Japanese community. We even have our first Native American.

In addition to this, we of course welcome back countries such as USA, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, Poland, Italy, Indonesia, South Africa and Ireland, meaning that we'll have more than 20 different countries represented in total.

Final reminder: If your community hasn't picked a representative yet, your deadline is by the end of tomorrow (April 23).

Next update: I am hoping very much I will have all the info I need from all of the representatives by Wednesday at the latest next week. Assuming I do, I will schedule all the qualifying games on this day and get back to you with your representative's start date.

Reactions: Hex and Nottykitten