How to Get Rid of Error Textures

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
So, as some of you may have noticed, logging onto the new Trouble in Terrorist Town server sometimes assaults you with flashing "Error" signs, purple checkerboard patterns, and overlapping sky textures. Also what you might have noticed, is that the game doesn't actually look like that. Luckily, there is a fix!

What is occurring here is caused by a lack of installed "Source" games, or games made with the Source engine including favorites like "Halflife 2", "Portal" and most importantly, "Counterstrike: Source". Garry's Mod takes the textures from these source games and uses them in game, so if it doesn't find these installed files on your computer then it gives you those three error textures mentioned above in abundance. So to fix this, you need to find these textures from some place.

http://kajar9.wix.com/cscheater2
You shouldn't need to look any further than this website to find the textures you need. To navigate to the materials you're looking for, hit the button at the top labeled, "GarryContent". The second bubble on this page links you to a video constructed to help you install the textures you need, but I will go ahead and write out the video's instruction in the thread as well. On the same page, scroll down until you reach the bubble, "Counter Strike: Source" and click on one of the download links for "Game Content". Note: You do not need the "Maps", so do not download them for this guide. After you've downloaded the content (it's a large file, so it may take a while) it will give you a rar file. This rar file needs to be extracted, which you can easily do with the use of "WinRAR", a free program that can be downloaded at the following link: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm , or "7zip", a program that comes standard with Windows computers. Double click the rar file with one of these programs installed and it will bring you to a new window where you can see a folder labeled "CSS Content Addon". Copy this folder, and then return to your File Explorer (where you can see your downloads and other files on your computer) and find the "Steam" Folder. Continue through the folders: "steamapps", "common", "GarrysMod", "garrysmod", and finally "addons". In the "addons" folder, paste the "CSS Content Addon" folder you had copied. This ends the tutorial - load up GMod and those error textures should disappear! Make sure that if you had gmod open during this process you've since closed it, so the client can refresh itself to accommodate the new files.

Here is a video explaining the process for the visually inclined:

Last note: Please point out any inconsistencies you experience with this thread's explanation so I can edit it to be more accurate. Secondly, the video does a slightly different process involving a second folder that is downloaded at the same time of the RAR file. I downloaded this to test it, but I did not receive the folder. I believe it will still work with both methods however, so if you get a folder labelled "CSS_V2" along with your RAR file, follow the video.

Last edited: