HollowBastion turns 10!

Roobarb Pie

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
(Well technically It turned 10 on the 6th but I only just discovered the oldest image I had of it had the metadata regarding the date lol)

"Look upon my works you guys, and despair.
Nothing besides... remains? What the hell?
Does that mean he dies in the end?
Ah, that's so stupid, no no no no.
We're gonna be redoing that, new ending!
Yeah this statues still there, and it's awesome."
- Handsome Jack

10 years ago, on the first large SMP map, a small outpost of Rome was established inside a giant hanging cliff face, complete with a lavacast, and a small floating island with a single solitary tree. Over time, people migrated to this new town, and it established itself in many people's hearts (with exception to GmK in regards to the portal lol). This town was called The Hollow Bastion. It had a small residential area, a few shops, a large artificial lake, and giant walls surrounding the place.

Over the years, HollowBastion has appeared as an official town within the Survival MultiPlayer Servers for The One's Minecraft, Blocktopia, and Escape Restart. With the resurgence of minecraft as a popular game across all age groups, and my boredom of tech modpacks, HollowBastion saw it's second official iteration on Dusk of Discordia as a wooded forest outpost. It was here that one of the greatest hallmarks to HollowBastion came to be: giant underground megastructures that would only be half built before I gave up on them. This was the silver age of HB, with a number of recurring members joining at this time.

HollowBastion did not return for quite some time, finally resurfacing in Arcadia in the PvP zone. Membership was relatively small, owing to the location in a high risk area, and it's inaccessibility for most. Nonetheless, it became like a home to all of those who joined it. It also had a half of the world mapped out, which reduced raids as raiders had framerates drop to 5fps.

The latest iteration was established on SimpleSMP, and has flourished, with new and old members alike joining the town. Dare I say it, but I think this is the best version to date, not just because of the location and the builds, but because of the community that has flourished inside and outside the ravine.

Legitimately, I am still stunned that this town has stuck around for so long. The very idea that a town can be carried over between multiple iterations of a minecraft server is a testament to this community as a whole. None of this would be possible without everyone in the community, and you have my deepest gratitudes.

Special shout outs to past and present HB members are as follows in the spoiler box. We couldn't have made it a decade in without any of these funky ducks.

Xaphobia
mullaccm
Kingdion
Name_Goes_Here
Bea
Ciphered
Alex_Tuba
EdMiller
Nitasu
BraveGoldHeart
Gonkus
BlackArcher